I've Struck Oil!

adamscm

Fitting for someone in Texas, I guess! I recently put a 200 in my 62 Comet. I rebuilt (or refreshed) much of the motor. The only thing I didn't touch was the rings/pistons/crank, which supposedly had been done not that long ago. Well, I was successful in getting it in and running (a small feat with my limited resources). However, I was never able to get it to smooth out, and a noise began to appear also. Well, I pulled the head last night, and as you can see, literally have oil pooling on the piston tops. So the 144 is going back in this weekend. It was running fine, not using oil, when I took it out. For good measure, I had a professional valve job done, replaced timing set, and all engine gaskets. I also added a newer, bigger exhaust manifold. So fingers crossed on this one! 1st pic is my oil discovery, 2nd is the 144 "on deck."

You meltin a hole in that piston? I can't seem to zoom in on it enough to tell...

I don't know what all is going on...I think this is going to the scrap pile. It's already been rebuilt .040 over, although the head still looks good--has hardened seats and valve guide inserts. If anyone in the Dallas area wants this thing, let me know!

The block is probably fine. It's more likely that the rings never broke in correctly or that the gaps were not properly staggered. I wouldn't scrap it yet. Were you running with a vent or PCV?

Both, actually! Yes, I'll pull the pistons and look at them. Might just need a hone and new rings. Need to check rod and main bearings also...Valves are not fouled, so I think the oil is from below. On the #3 piston, you can actually see a bit of sideways movement on it in the cylinder when you push on it. Could be a ring problem.

Hi, maybe it is the picture but the 2 + 3 cylinders look glazed about 1/4 way around. If it was bored it should have .030 or whatever size stamped on the piston. A machinist wold measure for diameter and taper. If your block and pistons are in OK shape you could hone and re ring. Look at the bearings for wear and copper color. Keep the caps in order and if the crank was cut the undersize bearings will be marked .010 or .020. You will learn more when you pull it apart. Too bad.

Thanks, B Ron, Yes the pistons are stamped for 40 over. Cylinders are glazed like a freshly-Zamboni'ed ice rink! Got the 144 put back in today. Will play with the 200 as time permits.

Many have gone to .070 over bore (3 3/4) with no problems on a NA engine,was a dd did not run hot. Do not do for it for the cid. Went 14.22 on one NA. At over 400 hp 6800 rpm the wall split, did it on two blocks just to make sure.

drag-200stang":8ysd5kd0 said:
Many have gone to .070 over bore (3 3/4) with no problems on a NA engine,was a dd did not run hot. Do not do for it for the cid. Went 14.22 on one NA. At over 400 hp 6800 rpm the wall split, did it on two blocks just to make sure.

Yes, just broke in improper, you say?
anyway, that's my guess…
Good luck, bro. I couldn't afford this.

chad":2tbe3awq said:
drag-200stang":2tbe3awq said:

Yes, just broke in improper, you say?
anyway, that's my guess…
Good luck, bro. I couldn't afford this.

Chad, I was implying that there is still life in the block for a proper rebuild as long as it is not boosted.

"…the gaps were not properly staggered…"
far from a qualified arm chair 1/4 back here but there's nother I'd second.

"…Chad, I was implying that there is still life in the block for a proper rebuild as long as it is not boosted…"
Ahhh… gotcha now. Yeah! I'm hopin Adam still has 2 motors.

If you are serious about getting rid of the 200 I am interested in at least the head if it has been reworked. I am in the Dallas area.

ags290":2g1w51lm said:
If you are serious about getting rid of the 200 I am interested in at least the head if it has been reworked. I am in the Dallas area.
car-parts.com…there's plenty in ur area I bet. Up here it all goes to the crusher @ 9.9 yrs of age).

here's 1 in Dallas (sez 'Houston"?) w/ AT & 2V carb

1966 Engine
Ford Mustang SE,200,2BL,AT,RWD 001389 $Call For Less Used Auto Parts USA-TX(Houston) Request_Quote 713-734-1621 Request_Insurance_Quote

Back