DSII ignition module options?

That is a nice engine build and sounds like a good ignition setup.

Just my single experience, but I tried the NAPA version of the DSII box and it failed about 6 months later. Went with the MSD 6a (didn't get the one with the rev limiter) and it was easier to wire and has been rock solid for about 2 years now. Just make sure you get full 12v to the box. I ran the pink wire from the ignition switch to a Bosch relay next to my battery, which triggers a 12 volt fused line to the MSD.

fwiw, I had a MSD 6 box on my Ranchero with a DS1 distributor (electrically the same only I want old-style wires and a small cap).

I have since swapped to a GM HEI module mounted on a huge heat sink, hidden under the cowl-to-fender brace.

Honestly I can't tell a difference - now my engine is stock, but still...cold starts, idling... The ONLY difference was that when my carb's idle circuit was going WAY lean and fouling the #6 plug the MSD would keep firing through all the crap, but otherwise with a proper carb it's fine.

All that said, I still use MSD boxes on my other two old engines, a '71 Buick 455 and a '69 Ch*vy 350.

"…Honestly I can't tell a difference - now my engine is stock, but still...cold starts, idling... The ONLY difference was that when my carb's idle circuit was going WAY lean and fouling the #6 plug the MSD would keep firing through all the crap, but otherwise with a proper carb it's fine…."

"… with a proper carb."
which carb? That's swapped out now? to what?
No longer "going way lean"?
The MSD is just so expensive for me…

For me, unless I was racing, $35 for the Motorcraft or less for HEI with found heatsink vs. $215 is a no brainer.

69stang_250":2tufruko said:
I just bought a MSD 6LA module and will post some pictures of the install.

To me. It sounds like the way to go. I make sure I have very good ground to the MSD box, I think it key to making them last.

As stated; make sure it gets full 12v primary.

Well as long as I wire the 12V and ground wires straight to the battery I shouldn't have an issue with it. I think it will be the easiest install and fit my application very well.

69stang_250":1hrs9y1u said:
Well as long as I wire the 12V and ground wires straight to the battery I shouldn't have an issue with it. I think it will be the easiest install and fit my application very well.
And that's going to feed resister wire; 12v to coil, how ?

chad":5cxcvnlk said:
"…Honestly I can't tell a difference - now my engine is stock, but still...cold starts, idling... The ONLY difference was that when my carb's idle circuit was going WAY lean and fouling the #6 plug the MSD would keep firing through all the crap, but otherwise with a proper carb it's fine…."

"… with a proper carb."
which carb? That's swapped out now? to what?
No longer "going way lean"?
The MSD is just so expensive for me…

Long story, but my HW5200 (Weber 32/36 Clone) had a gigantic air bleed, far larger than most, making the idle and transition go way lean. I corrected it (another long story) and now it's better. Same carb.

Thank you,
Happy 4th!

Back