DSII ignition module options?

69stang_250

VIP
Hey guys,

I am wiring up my 69 mustang and trying to get all of the electrical stuff in place and mapped out.

What ignition module would you guys go with?

I've heard a lot of good and bad about MSD.

What is your opinions?

MSD-6AL with Blaster coil. MSD also makes a harness to plug your DS11 directly to the MSD box.
The cost is more, but the performance advantage & a built in rev limiter are paramount.

i have used the duraspark distributor hooked to a chrysler orange ignition box and a blaster lll coil and it worked quite nicely thank you.

X4 I have used all those and a couple others and they can all work. :nod:

RichCreations":3clepx6c said:
just get a Blue DSII box at picknpull

the blue is at the gromet/strain relief where the wires come out:
OEM, reliable, inexpensive, available, improvement (my choice)
(as R the others - MSD is a lill more $)

can folks post the yr/model of the blue strain relief as there are areas of the country w/o older vehilces in their 'yards'?
we can go to the big box prts houses this way…
(I may need a spare some day !!! )

lastly there's a combo some use @ go fast for less dot com using the che**y HEI system.

I'm just trying to get what would be the best for my build:

69 250
.039 over and balanced
10.3 SCR 7.9 DCR
280 110 CS cam
1.6 rockers
CI head( cleaned up ports and chambers)
4bbl 570 Holley

I had been leaning towards the MSD, but have read and been told a few stories
About how quick they failed on a few vehicles. Some of the stories leave me wondering if it's
Opporator error or if it was a faulty unit. I do like the fact of the rev limiter with the NSD though.
If the OEM units are good ones for this kind of build I may go with it.

"…can folks post the yr/model of the blue strain relief as there are areas of the country w/o older vehilces in their 'yards'?
we can go to the big box prts houses this way…
no pick'n pull w/older vehicles round here (much of MA, CT)…"

Bump, bump
(ALL '77 and beyond 6 cyl)?

Some of the later 1976 models had the Blue Gromlets C. Boxes too. Generally though the 1977 and up through to 1982 is same part number. Good luck :nod:

I believe it is the same box for all duraspark applications, V8 or 6 cylinder. I'm sure someone will jump in and correct me if I'm wrong. Everyone says to use the blue strain relief box, not sure what else was available.

jimlj66":2tqzawr1 said:
I believe it is the same box for all duraspark applications, V8 or 6 cylinder. I'm sure someone will jump in and correct me if I'm wrong. Everyone says to use the blue strain relief box, not sure what else was available.
this is correct, there may even be some 4cyl...
you do not want a auto parts house copy, but a real ford one (they never fail) blue strain relief. (any pick n pull should have a couple 80s fords)

"1977…through to 1982"
4 & 6 cyl ford, Kouwell !

"any pick n pull"
must B in 's.west usa' none left 3/4 usa over

"do not want a auto parts house copy"
many usa manufacturer there as well, simply request/observe - I remember sourcing/selling here several times over my 5 yrs tenure with 1
there's even a co (usa) that reworks them somehow, somewhere, sometime, for some people, some money, some

"1977…through to 1982"
4, 6, & 8 cyl ford,

Jesh, it must be real basic to run all those.
I got SO much catchin up (auto theory) ta do (esp on the ele system, mm mmm mmm).

Thanks for ur assistaces RC, Econo !

*$35 @ Rockauto

I'll bet I could go to the yard here in town and find 20 without much searching.

"Jesh, it must be real basic to run all those."
It just sends voltage to the coil every time it gets a signal from the distributor. It doesn't really care how many cylinders the engine has.

After doing some reading up and weighing the advantages, I'm gonna go with the MSD box and coil.
Is there any special things I should take into consideration when using the 6L module?

:unsure: Make sure that it is a genuine made in USA part.There are a bunch of crap china made junk making the rounds.Summit has even gotten quite a lot of it.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Back