Connecting Rod Interchangeability

ags290

Supporter 2022
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
Are 170 and 200 connecting rods interchangeable? Looking at the specs on CI the 200 has a longer stroke than the 170. Is this due to wrist pin location on the 200 pistons or are the rods different?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

ags290":1xpy42bk said:
Are 170 and 200 connecting rods interchangeable? Looking at the specs on CI the 200 has a longer stroke than the 170. Is this due to wrist pin location on the 200 pistons or are the rods different?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin
I think the length is the same... But there may be other differences, I know at least some of the 200 rods are forged, not sure about 170s

Howdy kevin:

Yes, the rods from a 170 and a 200 are interchangeable.

However, they are not the same. All until 1973 model year, are forged steel. From '73 -' 78 rods varied from cast iron, cast steel and nodular iron. '79 were back to cast steel, and back to forged steel in '82. All can be improved by using ARP rod bolts- same bolts as a small block V8.

I hope that answers your question.

Adios, David

ags290":1ketwewk said:

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

The 170 and 200 rods are the same length. The difference was made up with the compression height of the pistons.

If you want forged rods, look for the castings that begin with C3.

Hope this helps.

CZLN6":2pif80ux said:
Howdy kevin:
Yes, the rods from a 170 and a 200 are interchangeable.
However, they are not the same. All until 1973 model year, are forged steel. From '73 -' 78 rods varied from cast iron, cast steel and nodular iron. '79 were back to cast steel, and back to forged steel in '82. All can be improved by using ARP rod bolts- same bolts as a small block V8.
I hope that answers your question.
Adios, David

"…All until 1973 model year, are forged steel…"
meaning both 170 & 200?
thnx, DS.

Thanks for the information everyone. I just ordered the Falcon performance book so I will try to keep the silly questions to a minimum.

Thanks again,

Kevin

not silly, bro - I'm learnin from da sidelines, meanwhile…

Back