Rocker shaft disassembly questions

Dragonlich1961

Getting ready to reassemble my 200.
The falcon hand book mentions enlarging the oil hole in early model adj rocker assembly to 1/8 like late model assemblies.
There is no mention of how it is dissembled. Is there any tips to disassembling the best rocker shaft a first timer should know.
Thanks chris

I used a drift punch to drive the pin out of one end, then the spring retainer slides off and all the rockers and pedestals. On ones of the ones I've dissassembled someone over torqued the pedestals and they were ovaled enough to gall their bores on the holes in the shaft. Something to be aware of.

Do the rocker pedestals simplly slide off. Or do they need to be persuaded off. Are they supost to rotate once the bolt is removed?

What type of wear should I be looking for? I see some lines under the springs but nothing under the rocker arms.

Howdy Dragonlich:

Once the retaining pins all of the pieces should slide off either end. I prefer to label all of the rockers, springs and pedestals prior to disassembly. It probably doesn't matter what piece goes where, but that's just me. Clean and Inspect all pieces carefully. Getting the pedestals to slide off can be a struggle, but doable. IIRC I used some WD40 to aid. Make sure the ball end of the pushrods are round and shiny. Clean the inside of the rocker shaft thoroughly. I used a .20 gauge shotgun barrel brush and lots of solvent on the inside of the shaft. The inside of the shaft can be really gunky. On the oiling holes make sure they are open and clean. Drilling out the smaller early holes is not necessary but a good idea.

I hope that helps. Good luck.

Adios, Davi

i hadda use emery cloth on the shaft 2 get the prts back on.
didn't take much…
U can label the prts or leave them in order to reassemble.

got it apart, what a pain. the pedistals did not want to move. ended up clamping a pedistal in the vice and driving the shaft out slowly.

It apears that my rocker shaft is worn a bit, how much is aceptable? ideally i would think none. [image][/image]

CI has a new shaft listed at $32.
I do not see a listing yet on Vintage inlines.

Anybody know of another source if mine needs replaced.

it doesn't seem that bad since the pedistals are coded C0. but i hate to put known worn parts in a "new" engine

Dragonlich1961":2ulp5pd9 said:
got it apart, what a pain. the pedistals did not want to move. ended up clamping a pedistal in the vice and driving the shaft out slowly.

It apears that my rocker shaft is worn a bit, how much is aceptable? ideally i would think none. [image][/image]

CI has a new shaft listed at $32.
I do not see a listing yet on Vintage inlines.

Anybody know of another source if mine needs replaced.

it doesn't seem that bad since the pedistals are coded C0. but i hate to put known worn parts in a "new" engine
melling makes them

I'd say that's fine, as above, I ran emery over them & slid the pedestals on more easily than removed.
$32 would have been a choice but time/money/awareness there were shafts available was not there 4 me…

Hi, that does not seem to be too bad, no real scoring. We use to clean these up all the time. As long as there is no real wobble or binding I think you're good to go. You could smooth it out some more with emery cloth, and hit the rockers with a brake cylinder hone if you want the experience. If you hone it use oil and take it easy. Good luck

Back