Triple intake for Ford Six

It seems 3 Webber's could also fit on the Lynx (more availability, current production - than SU).
Also that the SUs are mounted (in some pic) on an intermediate intake w/o the lynx ( one option: 1st this 'six tube manifold' , then the lynx, then the SUs).
Can it run w/o the Lynx & just use the 'six tube' (straight to the carbs)? The Lynx is rare, the 'six tube' an easier manufacture 'stretch'.

:nod: :eek:z: Everything you say is true, GB.

The artical was from a 1991 Australian Street Machines Hot Sixes book, and it was prepared by writer Tim Britten with expert Australian input from Lynx's Graeme Nicholls, and Carburator Services Tim Howarth, guys with years of experience. In context, a 250 cross flow with a 350 (or 500) cfm Holley 2-bbl intake will out do the performance per price of a Blattman conversion to a precrossflow. Lynx sold 650 cfm 2-bbl Holley #6245 carbs for a while too; anything was possiable if you paid for it.

As Tim Howarth told in the article, "there is a bewildering array of carb kits....you can even put triple Weber carbs on your Marina 2.6 litre Six if you are stupid enough"

And back in 1963 to 1965, everything six cylinder got triple carbs....you Austrailians were first to put a couple of extra cylinders on the B series, then, by just putting three SU carbs on your 1963 Blue Steak BMC Austin Freeway Six, you made 27% extra horspower, 97 rear wheel hp at 4500 rpm. A stock 85 hp gross 2.4 Blue Streak actually put 76 hp to the rear crossplies before any alterations.

freeway_1.jpg

So far only a couple of Austin Freeways have appeared in competition.
This one, leading two Holdens, is being driven by Charlie Smith.

freeway_3.jpg

IIRC, When written in 1991, for 16 years, 1960-1976, the Aussie Ford Falcon six was non crossflow, then, for 15 years (1976-1991), cross flow and detachable intake. Then OHC in some versions from late 1987 to date.

Remember, about 1.2 million non cross flows, then about 2 million odd Geelong built cross flow OHV and OHC's and DOHC Ford sixes exist, so in an Australian context, most 250's are cross flow with a detachable intake.

my lynx falcon manifold for tripple webers - 40 dcoe

inlet hole size is 40mm at carb and 35mm where bolts to head

SU manifold in background

interestingly my SU manifold has pressure equalising slots behind 2-3 and 4-5 to allow pressure equalisation across the suction side of the 3 SU's

imperative to make thse work correctly.

the lynx weber manifold DOESNT have these

or this - only twin SU's - only 66 % cred at the car meet but reduced tuning difficulties by 33%

I’m enjoyin this.
It may B the most active thread on the forum (site too?).

Looking at the 1st group of pic, the 1 after the reproduced mag. article…
(Perry may make it so software places numbers on posts at some point so we can refer to entries by number. I C he’s doing work as indicated by all the guest entries on the Index).
It has a head (cut off intake or OZ pre-cross flow, & welded on after mrkt 1) & these 2 SU/Lynx adapters in the 1st of a group of six pic (on the blue towel). I’m interested in THAT 1st head's welded on intake. There seems to B another view of it in the same group –of-six pic, the third in that series, but painted and at a side view. Is it part or welded on?
Both x & gb have shown more pic (thanks to both of you) that helps me think the Blattman (& possibly SU adapter, lynx intake) can’t fit our engine bay(s). Perhaps we could make a siamesesed 3-4 port one for our '60 - '96 sixes when cuting off our intake & welding on an intake of similar design.

Would this head (I cite above) fit a USA six? Would the welded-on intake B available to help design a UsA model? As CNC posit – possibly it could B reproduced, put into production, and made available thru such an effort (here or Down Under)?

the welded on plate I have (that is a loose item at the moment) is about 1/2" thick and shaped like the manifold - ie all curvy.

its one piece for cyl 1-6 and you need to mill off the log and then weld it on to the stubs remaining.

the above pics of the aust falcon head with the triple su's the rectangular plate looks like it is in 4 pieces - ie 1 piece for the single port for cyl 1 and 6

and two other plates for cyl 2+3 and 4+ 5 .

I assume this may have been done to allow easier access for the welding rod .

and this 1960/61 falcon (XK) racer in Australia :
cut off log , some hose and clamps to the orig circular inlet stubs left and triple webers .

no trouble with hitting the suspension tower ...
but also no underbonnet reinforcing sections left

this guy is in the Victorian early falcon club and races successfully .after buying the car off paul Knott

and yep it unashamedly from extasys photo bucket - and a very good pic.

and earlier photo with different inlet trumpets

chad":2b8csiee said:
I’m interested in THAT 1st head's welded on intake. There seems to B another view of it in the same group –of-six pic, the third in that series, but painted and at a side view. Is it part or welded on?
)?

I see what you mean now . the plate is welded on - just looks like a crappy mismatch where it is welded on .-
EDIT :

actually here is some other photos from the triple SU dudes photobucket:

PS he bought the head

: I can see now it has small stubs on the manifold plate which slip inside the cut log spigot and welded around .
maybe not the smoothest for airflow ..but sure functional.-

Lotta great pic, thanks gb.
(And thanks for ur tel cal to me several yrs. ago on head purchase.)
Pic would be even greater if they showed:

* the head w/the log "still on B4 saw off" *
* then after it was removed *,

so some 1 could C if that mod could be done to the USA log. The non siameseed exh. there is one difference between the heads (Oz 'pre X-flow & '60 — '83 or even - '96 USA heads). We may have our log shaped at a different angle or some other difference…can U State side guys offer anything on this specific issue? I C powerband & others have removed the usa log…

I don't go to our other forums here, may B in "nitrous" or another forum here
there's info…? I C an entry for the Mukunies (but not the 6 of them) in another forum here too.

Love everything you post, GB.

esp this.
gb500":2uwel372 said:
or this - only twin SU's - only 66 % cred at the car meet but reduced tuning difficulties by 33%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QTgb4knAuI

You Aussies got everything mapped out, working and on the cars back then. Spring tower brace, the air cleaners, two big big swing needle SU'sWhat more to say, but WOW!

chad.

After about 1966, the Aussie heads generally started getting an AR prefix on it casting parts.

AR prefixed C9 log heads are based on your US C9 6049 BM log heads, just a few little differences, nothing major. Just bigger valve guides and reshaped combustion chambers. Even got the kickdown linkage bosses cast in, just like the US ones. Just not drilled. Missed out on emissions attachments for CA Thermactor, but most US heads did too.

They had some later casting numbers, but right till June 1976, they were basically C9 US casting heads. My 1972 xy Falcon 250 and 200 engines still used it, and so did the XA and XB Falcons and Cortinas till mid 1976.

All Aussie log heads before that are US valve guides and US casting type right down the line.

"…AR prefixed C9 log heads are based on your US C9 6049 BM log heads,…"
not gunna saw the log offa my M head ( 4 ten yrs or so).
:eek:
Gotta set it up w/lower rev / higher tq cam, for awhile (10 yrs?),
then mill for direct mount big carb later (nother 10 yrs?).

When I hit 80 y/o I'll get the 6 Mukunies !
Yowzer!

New member, first time poster. I made a mistake of trading a 64 hardtop falcon, V8, 4 speed, bucket seat car with a little rust, for a 62 ranchero advertised as a daily driver with no issues. It has a later model 200 six and an offenhauser triple intake and split header into dual exhaust. When I picked it up from the non-mechanical scheister :eek: who had it prior to me, he stated the outer carbs were blocked off because it sucked too much fuel. Come to find out that it was blocked off because he could barely get one single barrel to run, and could never get the three linkages correct or the carbs adjusted. I fabricated the rest of the linkage, while awaiting a fresh linkage from Offy Parts, removed blocking plates, ground down throttle actuator arms to avoid the manifold, and got it to idle on the center carb with the outers kicking in about 1000 RPM. The front carb rides high and when the little chrome air cleaner was used, it would hit the underside of the hood. So I fabricated a 90% air plenum out of a hand torch oxygen bottle, and am now rigging the 3 inch intake tubes up and over the engine to suck some non heated air from the drivers side.
The little single core radiator sprung a leak on the initial drive home so I ordered a triple core aluminum radiator and a 6 blade aluminum flex fan. I had to slit the radiator support to slide the radiator in front of the support to mount it, to give me the 1/2 inch of clearance between it and the flex fan. I also had to groove the blades on the new fan to give clearance for the nut on the front of the alternator. It has a 15 inch electric pusher fan in front of the radiator that took a little convincing to fit between the hood latch support and the radiator.
The "not so bright" slickster also put a new steering wheel on and stripped the nut on the steering shaft which puts pressure on the shifter linkage. The stripped nut allows the assembly to spring up and not engage at the base. So I also get to replace a steering shaft.
I should have turned around and drove home when I asked him to show me the title and VIN and had to lift fenders (almost 3 hours) :banghead: to find a VIN that matched the title. The car barely made it home, and 30 hours later and about $750, and it's almost ready to drive around the block.
I hope to get the little six out and see how she performs on the road

Hi and welcome, I have a feeling you will end up with a great car. I would try to chase the threads on the steering column and use a castellated nut and drill it for a cotter pin. Good luck

gb500":1c5xg568 said:
cut off log , some hose and clamps to the orig circular inlet stubs left and triple webers .

this guy is in the Victorian early falcon club and races successfully .after buying the car off paul Knott

following on from this - the new owner of the Knott falcon has changed to 2 x triple throat weber IDA's. (ex Porsche..I think)

sliced the top off the log and placed a plate on with the 6 holes for the 2 x weber IDA.
no longer individual runners - more a large plenum fed by the 6 throats

gb500":1dh0nc3w said:
gb500":1dh0nc3w said:

following on from this - the new owner of the Knott falcon has changed to 2 x triple throat weber IDA's. (ex Porsche..I think)

sliced the top off the log and placed a plate on with the 6 holes for the 2 x weber IDA.
no longer individual runners - more a large plenum fed by the 6 throats

Interesting development on the XK - any chance you know why the change was made and whether the power output changed?

I finally had my race engine built for my triple 45DCOE 170. Lots of drama and money with a final result of 163 RWHP.
(I don't post here a whole lot- this is my car: http://www.groundsky.co.nz/index.php?Ac ... eID=505488).

Cheers,
Alan.

nuttin slo on this 1, we hada vid on the track somewhere in here.
Also got one of the 6 Keihens ona stang in Cali.

(Back to the regularly scheduled program)
Lets C if we can get these 3 2v on his 200....
BBS, 32/26, Rochesters or whatever...
I'd put the webber in the middle.

Back