vacuum line

tdlund

My vacuum line from the carb to the distributor needs replaced. I went to Napa auto parts store and they said they couldn't help me. Has any one replaced theirs with something else? This is on a 170 engine.

X2 or you can make a new one out of a lenght of brake line tubing. Good luck :nod:

I just took the old hose with me and they matched it up, purchase by the foot. Any box store should be able to do that.

Econoline":hnnwiq7s said:
He's talking about the hard line.

Well my carb to distributor line is rubber. I have a 90* metal elbow on the carb that is about 3" long, goes to rubber, to the vacuum advance on the distributor nipple.

66 Bronco with 170.

I do have a hard line from the intake manifold to my fuel pump - its a vacuum booster for the vacuum wiper in addition to being a fuel pump, and connects with a short rubber hose at the pump end, hard plumbed at the intake.

I would actually prefer a flexible line, the problem is that I can't find the fittings anywhere.

They are standard pipe fitting iirc. 1/8" thread i think. 2, brass 1/8"x1/8" male to barb adapters and some 1/8" hose should do the trick. The auto parts store *should* have those fittings and the hose. If not, you can get the fittings at any hardware store.

like this:

brass-adapter-18-barb-x-18-mpt.jpg

bubba22349":gssa9pn8 said:
X2 or you can make a new one out of a lenght of brake line tubing. Good luck :nod:
notice the OR.
Mine is rubber all the way.
Isn't most of the fuel line hard as it snakes around the VC to avoid a 'hot' line (ie fire hazzard).
I kinda like the idea of a hard line for the vac line too.

X3 With the brake line. That what I ended up having to do on our 170 in a Mustang

The problem with the hard fuel line from the pump is heat. At least in these Econolines. Hence the old wooden coat hanger trick. They used to all be hard lines. When you go into the napa and try and fix your hard dist vacuum line, they know where you're coming from if they are older than I am (43) :). I think it's 3/16" OD tube. It's used in small refer stuff in copper.

Not sure what your vehicle is but in this case I can't imagine it matters. Cj pony parts has the fuel line listed.

"…a 90* metal elbow on the carb that is about 3" long, goes to rubber, to the vacuum advance on the distributor…"
what about that lill metal guy?

What's the OD on that?
Is that just pressure fit into the dizzy end (w/this rubber tube he seeks between)?
I'm recalling (correctly?) the carb end as cast/part of the body, air horn, what have you , but the other end is a lill tube coming out of the dizzy below the
thingamajig plate. (I've not done much adaptation to the distributor).

Hi, X2 Bubba. The early engines use a metal tube with a double flare. This thread is different from pipe thread. Brake line is the perfect substitute to make your own you will need a double flare tool and a tubing bender. You can see the small vacuum line and larger fuel line in my small photo. Good luck

thanks for the help. I'm going to try another auto parts store tomorrow and see if I can piece something together for the moment. This will only be temporary until I get my DS II installed.

Back