2 speed cooling fan vs single high speed

69stang_250

VIP
Hey guys, I've got the ford contour dual fans and will be installing them on my new 24" champion 2 core aluminum radiator.
With that, how to wire it up is turning into a lot of research and questions I'm not finding answeres for.

1. Is it better to run an electric fan with 2 speeds? Or just run on high when the switch turns it on?

2. What is the advantage of using 2 speeds?

3. What is the best way to wire this up so it's not a major shock to the elictric all system?

4. If it's better to use both speeds, should I wire one to kick on which the ignition for constant running and high to the switch? Or both high and low to switch on by switch?

Any help would be much apreciated.

Could you wire up 2 switches? 1 at 180 and the highspeed set to turn on at 200 or something like that?

There is a VW/Audi switch that works both speeds that I am looking at. I am leaning towards using it with a radiator hose adaptor. I'm new to dealing with electric fans, and not sure what the best way to wire these things up are and am just trying to figure out what the best set up would be. I know most like the engine driven fan, but for traffic and stop light to stop light driving, they are not the best for keeping things cool.

What temp does your guys 200 and 250s seem to run good at? The VW switch comes on at 170 low and 195? High I think.

I have looked at all of those.

I am leaning towards using 2 30 amp relays and one 70 or 80 amp relay for high speed with the VW 2 speed fan switch installed in a radiator hose adaptor. It shoul kick on low speed at 185-195 and high at 205-215. I'm not sure how accurate it will be, but I have read a few threads on some jeep forums using this set up with the torus and MK IIV fans and people seem to love it.

I have figured out the advantage of the 2 speed fans and think it will make the car a lot better driver.

Only part I'm trying to figure out is if I should wire in the resistor located at the bottom of the fans or not. I have only seen on schematic with it wired in, but have not found anything saying if it's better to wire it in one way or another.

"...better to wire it in one way or another…"
me either

BUT
concerning the sensor…
Y use a hose location?…I would think the bung-in-the-thermostat (water neck) housing would be ideal…
solid metal, screw in, right B4 the thermostat.

What's this in-hose arrangement?
Thank you for your time.

Well the switch I was going to use is 15mm. It is way too bit to fit in the T housing. The only options really are to mount it in the radiator, like they come on the VW/Audi and the BMW, or use the adaptor and drill and tap it to accept the switch.

After doing more research and talking to some guys that have done this conversion, I'm just getting a variable switch from flex a lite. It's just easier and less time consuming, as I will be getting the engine in the next 2 weeks and have other pieces to this puzzle I need to put my focus on.

Thanks.
I've been following and am interested in final steps!
Keep er goin!

Back