ARP Head Bolt Torque Rating

timray87

I'm installing my aluminum CI Head and Intake tomorrow (assuming the CC are all within spec when I check tonight). It looks like Classic Inlines site is having issues with IIS Authentication, so I can't use the resources available on there, but I'm wondering what I need to torque the head and intake bolts to for the ARP set that I got from Will? Does anyone have this info written down? I'm pretty sure I saw it on Classic Inlines, but it's not accessible now.
Thanks in advance!

You can get on the ARP website if you have the part# for the bolts and see what their recommendation is.

timray87":279dak09 said:
I'm installing my aluminum CI Head and Intake tomorrow (assuming the CC are all within spec when I check tonight). It looks like Classic Inlines site is having issues with IIS Authentication, so I can't use the resources available on there, but I'm wondering what I need to torque the head and intake bolts to for the ARP set that I got from Will? Does anyone have this info written down? I'm pretty sure I saw it on Classic Inlines, but it's not accessible now.
Thanks in advance!
65-75 ft/lbs for the head
60-70 ft/lbs mains
19-24 ft/lbs rods
the above was from CI, ARP says different, but as they are not made for this application, I would not trust ARP.

RichCreations":7nt9bfxd said:
timray87":7nt9bfxd said:
Thanks in advance!
65-75 ft/lbs for the head
60-70 ft/lbs mains
19-24 ft/lbs rods
the above was from CI, ARP says different, but as they are not made for this application, I would not trust ARP.

Perfect thanks for the quick reply, you're a life saver! Hopefully pics to come tomorrow!

The torque values listed from RichCreations that are on the CI site only apply when using stock OEM fasteners, and do not apply when using aftermarket fasteners. Since most aftermarket fasteners are of greatly superior materials and quality than OEM fasteners, they exceed OEM specs in all areas, even torque, because they have a much different material structure and follow different guidelines for use than their OEM counterparts. So yes, you absolutely trust ARP's recommendations since they have hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in R&D into their components and know absolutely what torque values are required to make their fasteners perform as they designed them to do.

It may be a trade-off, but if you don't torque a fastener adequately to provide the correct stretch it needs it will fail. Most all deck surfaces in all engines distort when you torque the head bolts, so a torque plate is often the solution for that problem.

I thought:
1st: 40#
2nd: 50#
3rd: 60# (final)

CNC-Dude":30m98xcf said:
The torque values listed from RichCreations that are on the CI site only apply when using stock OEM fasteners, and do not apply when using aftermarket fasteners. Since most aftermarket fasteners are of greatly superior materials and quality than OEM fasteners, they exceed OEM specs in all areas, even torque, because they have a much different material structure and follow different guidelines for use than their OEM counterparts. So yes, you absolutely trust ARP's recommendations since they have hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in R&D into their components and know absolutely what torque values are required to make their fasteners perform as they designed them to do.
Actually they were from a page about arp fasteners being used in our engines... And are the correct values for them. And again, since the bolts in question are not being used in the situation ARP designed them for, their suggestions are invalid (it is nice that they include a torque rating for Big six heads in the studs I am using as mains in a small six, but it still does not help me any)

I knew Mike has many OEM torque specs on the site page, but it is no longer accessible to double check. But if you use the ARP at all, you are using them in the situation they designed them for. Its irrelevant what engine they are used in or if they are used as a main bolt or head bolt or in an aluminum head or cast iron head or even an aluminum block or cast iron block. Many of their fasteners and other manufacturers fasteners are used universally and generically in many different engines and applications, and very few are actually application specific. They typically only make them length and thread size specific because many different engines can use the same stud of bolt since many automotive engineers originally designed these engines around fastener lengths and sizes that already existed in industry and based on what their cohorts in the other automotive camps were using. The only thing the bolt/stud itself knows or realizes is how much it is torqued and stretched based on its length and thread size. So if the torque values mentioned are actual ARP values, you'll be fine observing that.

CNC-Dude":23c72no5 said:
I knew Mike has many OEM torque specs on the site page, but it is no longer accessible to double check. But if you use the ARP at all, you are using them in the situation they designed them for. Its irrelevant what engine they are used in or if they are used as a main bolt or head bolt or in an aluminum head or cast iron head or even an aluminum block or cast iron block. Many of their fasteners and other manufacturers fasteners are used universally and generically in many different engines and applications, and very few are actually application specific. They typically only make them length and thread size specific because many different engines can use the same stud of bolt since many automotive engineers originally designed these engines around fastener lengths and sizes that already existed in industry and based on what their cohorts in the other automotive camps were using. The only thing the bolt/stud itself knows or realizes is how much it is torqued and stretched based on its length and thread size. So if the torque values mentioned are actual ARP values, you'll be fine observing that.

How is it so hard to understand, that mike, after consulting with ARP, had posted torque specs that are different from ARPs generic specs? I noticed on my flywheel bolts, ARP had 2 different torque values, depending on if used on a ford, or chevy (same bolts, 2 different specs from ARP depending on application)...

"...is no longer accessible to double check…"

Is CI (tech pages / catalogue) permanently gone?

Any 1 have some definitive info or is it all speculation?

chad":1r97w1p0 said:
"...is no longer accessible to double check…"

Is CI (tech pages / catalogue) permanently gone?

Any 1 have some definitive info or is it all speculation?

Well, as I had written those numbers down from a page on CI called "Using ARP Fasteners" less then a week ago for my own use, they are definitive enough for me ;-)

For what it's worth the factory spec is 75 ft lbs. I always torque the head down in 3 stages...first 55 ft lbs, then 65 and finally 75.

Back