Trouble in Maverick City

timray87":14gsc5ej said:
Gene Fiore":14gsc5ej said:
Oh this is not good news. I have a 71 Maverick that I plan to put the aluminum head on. Say, do you have a 200 or 250 in that Maverick?

Just looking at my motor, and the center of the motor (based off of center of harmonic balance) is at least an inch and a half to the left of center of the car! I've driven this car without issues or vibration for 12+ years, so I can't think that it could be that far off but it'd explain a few things. Will you take a picture of your '71 showing center of the motor in relation to where it would line up between the shock tower braces? I'm curious if yours is centered or not?
Thanks!
I've attached a picture of my engine bay. It's kinda hard to take a good measurement with everything in the way, but it seems like my rough measurement from the center of the valve cover to each shock tower favors the passenger side by about 1/2 inch...maybe. So it's probably fairly centered which bodes well for me.

Gene Fiore":2yvivyo0 said:
timray87":2yvivyo0 said:
Gene Fiore":2yvivyo0 said:
Oh this is not good news. I have a 71 Maverick that I plan to put the aluminum head on. Say, do you have a 200 or 250 in that Maverick?

Just looking at my motor, and the center of the motor (based off of center of harmonic balance) is at least an inch and a half to the left of center of the car! I've driven this car without issues or vibration for 12+ years, so I can't think that it could be that far off but it'd explain a few things. Will you take a picture of your '71 showing center of the motor in relation to where it would line up between the shock tower braces? I'm curious if yours is centered or not?
Thanks!
I've attached a picture of my engine bay. It's kinda hard to take a good measurement with everything in the way, but it seems like my rough measurement from the center of the valve cover to each shock tower favors the passenger side by about 1/2 inch...maybe. So it's probably fairly centered which bodes well for me.

Wow looks nice! and a 14 is impressive for a stock N/A head too. Your motor is definitely shifted more towards the driver side than mine, so I bet I can get this intake to fit after some adjustments. I think I'll replace the motor mounts while I'm in there adjusting the motor, all I can find online looks like a pretty weak mount, what are you using on yours to handle your power?

"...I'll replace the motor mounts while I'm in there adjusting the motor, all I can find online looks like a pretty weak mount,…"
all I know is there's been advice to use "a late Maverick mount" to "lower your 250 in the Bronco frame" (as the high deck does not play well w/the low hood).

I think there's a change from '72 below and '73 above (w/this mount) but see no 'towers' that go with them.
The "L" shaped brackets you probably see are plenty tough. New poly might B better than the ol rubber in OE mounts('s bushings) to increase 'toughness'.
But
This is all about 'movement' but down NOT to one side. I wonder if one of the aftrmrkt mounts the typical vendors supply to us bronk drivers (bent8, 'truck' & off rd) would help sideways movement? Put 1 on 1 side & the correct 1 on the other side? Hard to believe ANY solution could move a motor One inch within a frame. Let me know if U want those bronk vendor referrals.

This pains me to even say it, but after thorough investigation, I can't adjust the motor hardly at all, it actually is only slightly off center, it was late and I measured center off of the waterpump not the harmonic balance.
After discussing building a custom intake that'll accept a throttle body for an EFI setup, I think I'd lose HP on the design versus using the CI intake and installing a throttle body on that.
Ultimately I've decided I'm going to put the old head back on and use it as a DD for a while until I save up money and find time to install a Mustang II Coil over front end, rid the shock towers and buy some room that way.
Thank you all for the input on this!

"...install a coil over suspension to eliminate the shock towers…"
I saw them on the bilstine site (StreetOrTrack) I think $2K, no?
Would you do the back too? (? $4K ? ).

Better than dumpin that head/intake.
Will B a mean Mav when YOU'RE finished.
:eek:

timray87":nmd0lo8l said:
This pains me to even say it, but after thorough investigation, I can't adjust the motor hardly at all, it actually is only slightly off center, it was late and I measured center off of the waterpump not the harmonic balance.
After discussing building a custom intake that'll accept a throttle body for an EFI setup, I think I'd lose HP on the design versus using the CI intake and installing a throttle body on that.
Ultimately I've decided I'm going to put the old head back on and use it as a DD for a while until I save up money and find time to install a Mustang II Coil over front end, rid the shock towers and buy some room that way.
Oh bummer... :cry:

timray87":2e1eiou7 said:

I've been monitoring this thread, since I put a 250 with the aluminum head in a '62 Ranchero that has shock towers.

If I understand correctly, you currently have a 200 in your Maverick. Looking at photos of the Maverick engine bay and shock towers, it looks as though there would be more clearance toward the top of the shock towers. Have you considered going with a 250? As I recall, the 250 has 2" taller deck height - this might put the CI intake manifold higher and allow it to clear the shock tower.

There would be some expense associated with building a 250 short block, but probably not another $3K as with the Mustang II front end. I don't think I have $3K in my short block, even with the custom pistons, balancing, etc.

Thanks
Bob

"...I put a 250 with the aluminum head in a '62 Ranchero…"
how'd ja ever close the hood Bob?

Gene Fiore":2wsmbd3l said:
timray87":2wsmbd3l said:
Oh bummer... :cry:

Seriously!

62Ranchero200":2sp8b68o said:
timray87":2sp8b68o said:

I've been monitoring this thread, since I put a 250 with the aluminum head in a '62 Ranchero that has shock towers.

If I understand correctly, you currently have a 200 in your Maverick. Looking at photos of the Maverick engine bay and shock towers, it looks as though there would be more clearance toward the top of the shock towers. Have you considered going with a 250? As I recall, the 250 has 2" taller deck height - this might put the CI intake manifold higher and allow it to clear the shock tower.

There would be some expense associated with building a 250 short block, but probably not another $3K as with the Mustang II front end. I don't think I have $3K in my short block, even with the custom pistons, balancing, etc.

Thanks
Bob

If the motor was pushed up 2 inches (by motor mounts or a taller deck from a 250) it'd still hit the shock tower, I thought about that as well. My dad measured his '69 I6-200 and it has about 1 5/8" more room than the Maverick, I'm thoroughly surprised this will fit in a Ranchero, Falcon and Mustang without modification but it won't in a Maverick.
I got my old head installed yesterday since my '68 351W Mustang eats up so much fuel, I needed something a bit nicer to my wallet.
Hopefully I'll save you Maverick owners some time. I probably won't start a coil over conversion until December-ish, anyone with experience in the conversion, I'm all ears!

I remember seeing a Maverick on the maverick forum (http://www.maverick.to/) that had a 250 with an aluminum head and intake awhile back. I tried finding out if there were any fitment issues but never heard back. :( You also may want to check there about the mustang II conversion...lots of guys have done that. As for me...I'm going to go down this road as well and pray I can make it fit but probably won't happen until after summer. My head still has to get down to the machine shop for assembly and it's too stinking hot here to work on the car. ;) If it doesn't fit I may just notch the shock tower.

"...notch the shock tower…"
how much would U say it needs Gene?

chad":1gv8406e said:
"...I put a 250 with the aluminum head in a '62 Ranchero…"
how'd ja ever close the hood Bob?

@chad,

Since the 250 didn't exist when the '62 Ranchero was built, there are no Ford motor mounts that would allow installing the 250 into the Ranchero's engine compartment. I made solid mounts with 1/4" steel plate, an angle grinder with a metal cut-off wheel, a drill press, and the help of a friend who can weld. Since I was making the motor mounts from scratch anyway, I made them such that the engine would sit quite low in the engine compartment. Have never had any hood clearance issues; am running a conventional, 14" open element air cleaner.

This photo that I took from the front with the radiator out may be helpful:

Thanks,
Bob

chad":ixrrvo4l said:
"...notch the shock tower…"
how much would U say it needs Gene?
No idea yet...I'll have to wait until I can remove the log head and plop down the alum head.

Thank you both.
Bob - Did U use a poly or rubber 'isolator'.
What does it (& the mount/tower) look like? I've been recommended not to use "a hard mount".

I think I see a pic (in the CI catalogue) of the recommend '73 - '77 'late model Mav" mount (again no 'tower') but don't see how it could be 'slotted' (egged out longitudinally rather than horizontally) to drop the motor as U have done w/the DYI mount.

(BTW: I use "a tower" as on the frame bracket, "mount" is on the engine - as my nomenclature. I also assume you have a similar 2 piece system in what was fabed up 4 the 'chero. /OR/ can you tell me was it just 1 half as the frame side is not a separately cast item. I torched off the bent8 towers from my frame when swappin in the running/operable 170 drive train & it's ford 6 specific towers).

Gene Fiore":ghu5t5zc said:
I remember seeing a Maverick on the maverick forum (http://www.maverick.to/) that had a 250 with an aluminum head and intake awhile back. I tried finding out if there were any fitment issues but never heard back. :( You also may want to check there about the mustang II conversion...lots of guys have done that. As for me...I'm going to go down this road as well and pray I can make it fit but probably won't happen until after summer. My head still has to get down to the machine shop for assembly and it's too stinking hot here to work on the car. ;) If it doesn't fit I may just notch the shock tower.

Best of luck to you, although notice that you can probably only gain an inch by cutting into the shock towers. I don't mean to discourage you in the project, I'd just hate for your to do all the work I did and have to undo it... like I just did haha.

@62Ranchero200 - Thanks for the pic

chad":1lnop7bh said:
Thank you both.
Bob - Did U use a poly or rubber 'isolator'.
What does it (& the mount/tower) look like? I've been recommended not to use "a hard mount".

I think I see a pic (in the CI catalogue) of the recommend '73 - '77 'late model Mav" mount (again no 'tower') but don't see how it could be 'slotted' (egged out longitudinally rather than horizontally) to drop the motor as U have done w/the DYI mount.

(BTW: I use "a tower" as on the frame bracket, "mount" is on the engine - as my nomenclature. I also assume you have a similar 2 piece system in what was fabed up 4 the 'chero. /OR/ can you tell me was it just 1 half as the frame side is not a separately cast item. I torched off the bent8 towers from my frame when swappin in the running/operable 170 drive train & it's ford 6 specific towers).

@chad,

The DIY mounts I made were one piece: very simple right-angle brackets, with a diagonal piece on the bottom for strengthening. No rubber or poly, nothing but 1/4" weldable mild steel. I had photos of them on Image Shack, but unfortunately Image Shack denied me access to my own images when I refused to pay their ransom ("membership") for what was originally represented as a free site. I may still have the photos somewhere at home. Below is a quick, crude sketch:

Thanks,
Bob

not Maverick Trouble related , but for 60-65 cars , another 250 engine mount solution is to use the early Right-Angle engine/frame mounts used on @ 60-61 cars. The 250 is @ 1-1/2 wider than the 170/200 . Simply re-drilling the 60/61 OEM engine mount rubber isolator @ 3/4" wider each side the 250 fits and puts the 250's crank height (and tranny/pinion ) about same as original location. The 250 is also (@ 1.66") taller than the 170/200 and may need hood clearance checked .

.. . .

I had Trouble in MAVERICK City when I used the engine bay/ spring tower dimensions from the '61 car for a forced induction intake used on the '74 250 Maverick that surprisingly wouldn't fit between 74's spring tower without more help.

. . .

have fun

Back