Trouble in Maverick City

timray87

I finally got my new CI aluminium head installed yesterday, cleaned up my carbon coated pistons (about 1/8 inch thick!), torqued the head down, bolted my headers back up and went to install the intake manifold and it won't fit between my head and shock tower! To cram the intake in I'd need about a full inch, which doesn't account for the motor torquing towards that side, I could mill the head and intake down about an inch total, but I worry it may lose it's strength, and I think I need at least 2 inches to be safe minimum.
I didn't even think it'd be a problem since these have gone into the narrower Mustangs (64-66) and the Falcon's, apparently the 1970 Mavericks are even narrower!
My thoughts are build an intake with fuel injection 100% custom, or install a coil over suspension to eliminate the shock towers, or of course go back to my very tired log head.
Any input would be greatly appreciated, feeling defeated!

You can mill the intake down about 1/4". I would also look at shimming engine more to the drivers side.

65-coupe":ax9yo94u said:
You can mill the intake down about 1/4". I would also look at shimming engine more to the drivers side.
Do you think I can shim the motor 2" without putting the whole drivetrain out of whack? Would I need to build a set of custom motor mounts are you thinking?
I see you have a similar setup on your '65, did that just drop in on that?

Oh this is not good news. I have a 71 Maverick that I plan to put the aluminum head on. Say, do you have a 200 or 250 in that Maverick?

How much relief can you get if you take the BFH to the shock tower? Could you cut out and notch the shock tower?

I was told by Matt that between 125 and 150 of these cylinder heads have been cast and sold since Mike first introduced them, so where are they now. Of that total sold, has no one installed them in a Maverick? I noticed that the Oz crossflow head intake is pretty short from its distance extending outward from the port flange. And the EFI intake for that head bends back over the valve cover. Sounds like some R&D is needed for several chassis types to make sure you can get to the end of the project before you buy one.

Gene Fiore":2vjhmsio said:
Oh this is not good news. I have a 71 Maverick that I plan to put the aluminum head on. Say, do you have a 200 or 250 in that Maverick?

I have the 200... I don't know if you'll have more room with a higher deck height on the 250?

cr_bobcat":1aw1gc0l said:
How much relief can you get if you take the BFH to the shock tower? Could you cut out and notch the shock tower?

Looks like inside the shock tower there's about an inch between the tower and the coil spring, I need an inch to physically fit it in there and probably another inch so the motor doesn't hit it on WOT. I don't think there's another intake that fits the CI head, right?

CNC-Dude":2c14u891 said:
I was told by Matt that between 125 and 150 of these cylinder heads have been cast and sold since Mike first introduced them, so where are they now. Of that total sold, has no one installed them in a Maverick? I noticed that the Oz crossflow head intake is pretty short from its distance extending outward from the port flange. And the EFI intake for that head bends back over the valve cover. Sounds like some R&D is needed for several chassis types to make sure you can get to the end of the project before you buy one.

I didn't measure it before I went to town on this swap because other members have successfully used them in Falcons and the narrower Mustangs, so I didn't give it any thought... The OZ intakes don't fit these heads if I remember correctly from some classicinlines.com posts?

I'm thinking at this point my best option may be to build an intake using a megasquirt EFI system, another member on here has some experience with it it looks like.

timray87":2jtvd1mn said:
Gene Fiore":2jtvd1mn said:

I have the 200... I don't know if you'll have more room with a higher deck height on the 250?
I'm hoping! :cry:

I don't know if they fit either, I was just referencing to them being a bolt on style intake like the CI head has. One thing you can do is measure the distance from the middle of the engine/valve cover to each shock tower to confirm the engine is centered in the engine compartment. If its off center in one direction or the other, this could indicate the car may have been in an accident by a previous owner and not realized a possible frame tweaking or alignment issue.

CNC-Dude":3hhzvkxr said:
I don't know if they fit either, I was just referencing to them being a bolt on style intake like the CI head has. One thing you can do is measure the distance from the middle of the engine/valve cover to each shock tower to confirm the engine is centered in the engine compartment. If its off center in one direction or the other, this could indicate the car may have been in an accident by a previous owner and not realized a possible frame tweaking or alignment issue.

Good thinking, I'll check that it is in there centered. I just replaced torn motor mounts in my Mustang which made it sit offset. My mom bought this car brand new in 1970, so we know the history of it to a T, my dad rebuilt it at 130k, and it's at 220k with no or little cylinder wear, but that doesn't mean a mount could be broken and the motor is not in there correctly. So you're saying the valve cover should be exactly centered between the shock towers?

Well in most cases it is, but the centerline of the harmonic balancer/crankshaft should be. Maybe that would be a more accurate method. Good thinking to check the motor mounts out while you're at it.

CNC-Dude":2zquwkqf said:

Yes, they won't fit in an Econoline doghouse either. The Aussie one may but if the 2v were placed the "wrong way" it would fit better

super4ord":1ucveo37 said:
timray87,

I have one of the sidedraft triple Weber intake manifolds that Will welded up when Mike had some flanges laser cut for the Aluminum head.

I will measure the runner length (flange to flange) & try to take some pics tonight when I get home after work. The runners are pretty stubby. The sidedraft carbs and stubby intake might be narrower than the CI intake. I will also measure the CI intake manifold to compare.

You can decide if this might be a viable option for your engine compartment.

I also have a Lynx triple Weber sidedraft intake and a standard 250 2V intake manifold for the OZ 250 2V head. I could measure them too.

Darrell

You may also have to take into account the need for breathers on the Webers if using the car for street driving and how much extra space will be required for that.

super4ord":1s3binei said:
timray87,

I have one of the sidedraft triple Weber intake manifolds that Will welded up when Mike had some flanges laser cut for the Aluminum head.

I will measure the runner length (flange to flange) & try to take some pics tonight when I get home after work. The runners are pretty stubby. The sidedraft carbs and stubby intake might be narrower than the CI intake. I will also measure the CI intake manifold to compare.

You can decide if this might be a viable option for your engine compartment.

I also have a Lynx triple Weber sidedraft intake and a standard 250 2V intake manifold for the OZ 250 2V head. I could measure them too.

Darrell
Thanks! That would be very helpful!

Gene Fiore":26qgpf30 said:

Just looking at my motor, and the center of the motor (based off of center of harmonic balance) is at least an inch and a half to the left of center of the car! I've driven this car without issues or vibration for 12+ years, so I can't think that it could be that far off but it'd explain a few things. Will you take a picture of your '71 showing center of the motor in relation to where it would line up between the shock tower braces? I'm curious if yours is centered or not?
Thanks!

Dude! they don't make em the way they usta.
These new 1s gotta B perfect.
Carb tuned and rear gear lined up wuz all U needed...
(the rest wuz "kinda sorta" & still ran fine)

Back