Muffler experiences

69stang_250

VIP
Hey guys,

I've been looking at mufflers and have to say I love the sound of the flow master 40 series, but I am worried that they will be too loud inside the car. At one point I was thinking of just going with the arvinode system, but have heard that it's loud and has a drone at cruising speeds. The only reason I'm worried about drone is that I've heard it causes a vibration through the car and I'm not a fan of that in anything.

What is your guys experiences with exhaust?
Would the FM 50 series be a better choice?

I do plan on running a 2 1/4" exhaust.
Also, where are the best places to put hangers? Should I just use the two mounting points at the rearend tub and at the rear frame rails?

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys

About 10 years ago a member called Okefenokee installed Borla mufflers on his comet & the sound was very close to that of a V8.
Check it out. Be aware Borlas are expensive.

Sorry, can't help w/the hanger location - forgot what ur running.

Ask Matt @ vintage inlines re Avinrod. He was their dealer B4 opening his company...

My 66 Mustang has a 200ci stock engine. Installed a dual header from Classic Inlines, dual 1.75", custom H pipes, and installed 2 Flowmaster 40 mufflers. Great sound at idle and low-mid rpms. However I noticed an very annoying drone sound at mid and high rpms. I installed 2 resonators between muffler and tail pipe. Drone was gone, so was the nice V8 sound.
Weeks later I replaced the Flowmaster 40 with Flowmaster 50. The 50 aren't too loud compared to the 40s, no drone at all.
My advice is: if you want an aggressive sound, then get a Flowmaster 40 (add a resonator to get rid of the drone at mid-high RPMs). If you want a mild sound (a little louder than stock, but not loud), get a Flowmaster 50.

Tom

I don't think I wanna put that much money out for borlas. They are a little more than I want to pay.
The main thing is I just want to keep it to where I can have a conversation without telling or listen to music without blowing out my ear drums while driving. I have the Eastwood sound/heat deadening stuff from the fire wall to the wheel wells. Also, I have 3m rubberized sound deadener on the roof, sail panels, trunk, and doors.
Would y'all think the FM 40s or arvinode would be so loud that you couldn't hear yourself think inside the car?

I should know about the Arvinode system here soon. It's been 4 weeks I think since I placed my order. The company that make them have a 6-8 week lead time right now though...

"...Would y'all think the FM 40s or arvinode would be so loud that you couldn't hear …the radio...yourself think inside the car?…"
Turn It Up !!!
:LOL:
Like me - over 30?

Ck the Search function?
We had a thread abt a yr ago w/alot of comments (2 pages?).
AND I'm sure there were more B4 that...

I had a 50 series on a 2 1/4" single exhaust that was horrible. At 1500 and about 3000 rpm it made a noise that sounded a lot like someone blowing across the top of a large jug. :banghead: I added a resonator at the tip, but that didn't really fix it.

Eventually, the best balance of sound and performance came from a pair of Smithys glasspacks, one in the middle and one at the rear. The sound was not V8; it was more like Jaguar XKE - a smooth growl.

"...the hanger location - forgot what ur running…"
Oh, it's in the name.

How bout welding the 'rod' right on the frame, covering w/a good primer/paint, and hanging the 'rubber isolator' (blk rubber donut) frm there, lastly - a welded 'rod' on the mufflers/pipes?

I need something like this rigidity for the off rd application on my vehicle. The system will B very short compared to your own.

BTW: asking for suggestions on the exhaust note may B like looking at a paint scheme on ur 'stang (Blue/White 4 example) and asking if others like it. It's all abt personal taste. "Do U like the Blue? how bout the White?" Chk out the thread I mentioned from B4…

("...It sounds good at...and I can…" here we go again).

I made an exhaust that exited just in front of the rear tire (1/2 an early GT350 exhaust) and used a Thrush Rattler (http://www.thrushexhaust.com/mufflers/t ... r-muffler/)- it was loud and sounded pretty badass- till you tried to go somewhere.

Honestly I've found that glasspacks seem to be the best combination of quiet and sound. I ended up getting rid of the Thrush and getting some unknown brand of oval muffler with a straight through perforated tube surrounded by packing. It sounds good at idle and I can hear the radio at 70 with the windows down on the highway.

So I have listened to every inline 6 exhaust on YouTube that I can find, and honestly, the flow master 40s are my favorite with the arvinode being second. Spintechs just do not sound that good to me at all.

The muffler I have on the car now honestly sounds great to me, has a little burble at idle that is very mellow and sounds like a British sports car when you get on it. I love the sound, however, the exhaust on my car looks like the original and its in pretty rough shape. It's also not adequate for the engine build. One think I have been thinking about doing is just running the stock exhaust for the engine break in and seeing just how that muffler sounds and maybe just throwing 2 of those on there when I install the header and X pipe.

If that does not work out I think I will just be going with 2 1/4 duals with FM 40s.

Thanks for the opinions and sharing your opinions.

I perfer the walker turbo mufflers for sound and flow. Its also to easy to install to big a dia pipe especaly with duals on a small 6. Often used duall outlet headers into a very long homemade Y pipe into RH side of a boss 302 system

I'm planning on going with a single Magnaflow on my 170ci equipped '66 Bronco. Slightly less expensive than some Flowmasters and I've heard that Magnaflow is a better performing muffler than Flowmasters.

some like the turbo(s) rather than the 'chambered', others the 'glass packed'.
Personal taste…
I'd be bold and ask when hearing what U like - go up to that driver and ask.
Even better would B a similarly equiped vehicle 2 ur own (sm 6, a ford, same cam, similarity w/the rest of the exh. system 2 ur own, etc).
UTube, etc can't do it justice I don't believe.

So here is a question for ya. What hangers do you guys with mustangs use for dual exhaust? Should I just buy the 4 stock ones? Or is there a better option? I baught the starter kit from Matt and plan on putting some FM 40 series on and then run them out back with turn downs. I think those a nicer than having the pipes run out of the valance or below it.
Also, does anyone know where to get the donut gasket for the dual out headers CI was selling? One had a few wires sticking out inside and I ruined it trying to get it on.

I just recently finished a complete rebuild on my 200 in a 66 coupe. It was bored, larger cam, ported head, etc. I put the Classic Inlines dual outlet header and the dual exhaust system they offered at the time, which is from Waldron's exhaust out of Michigan. Even though Classic Inlines doesn't exist now I believe you can still get the kits direct through Waldron's. I bought mine right when CI was closing down operation and they were great in helping me get my order filled.

I went with their "imposter" exhaust kit, which is very similar to the FM 40 series. I love it, in my opinion its not "loud" but have had several people tell me they thought it was a V8 car when I pull in to shows and cruise-ins. Its true dual exhaust off the dual outlet header with an X pipe just behind the header. I also think the X pipe makes a big difference on the inline 6's.

I believe Waldron's also makes the Arvinode system. Same setup I have, just different mufflers. If you call them they are very helpful in helping you make the right choice for what you want and what fits your cars setup best.

Back