Machine work for dual 1bll carbs, between cylinders 2 and 5

BigF80

I have been speaking back and forth with my machine guy and mechanic and we sourced a 1980 head for my 65 mustang. My mechanic believes that we should machine two holes for carbs lined up with cylinders 2 and 5. He thinks that that setup would be better than a 2bll larger centrally placed carb. Has anyone run a setup like the double I mentioned, Any carbs that run better or worse for that kind of setup?

Thanks.

I think that BCOWANWHEELS is doing a setup similar to this. You might cruise through some of his postings for pics.

I think inbetween 2 & 3 and 4 & 5 may be better. I'd like to do this with 2 tempo CFI's if that's possible.

Econoline":1pgyzdjj said:
I think inbetween 2 & 3 and 4 & 5 may be better. I'd like to do this with 2 tempo CFI's if that's possible.
wouldn't that make the a/f path a lill more equal creating a better balance, or would that B back to a lill fuel starvation for 1 and 6?

All ways back to the same answ - the X-flow or Mike's, eh?

Yeah, it seems like being right at a port would be less than ideal. Maybe divide the log at the carb flange or would it matter?

Econoline":2pdq6cnd said:

this is probably the best set up for two one barrel carbs, or even two two barrel carbs.

Yeah, it seems like being right at a port would be less than ideal. Maybe divide the log at the carb flange or would it matter?

i wouldnt split the log, better to feed from multiple sources for a more homogeneous air/fuel mixture.

A hybrid option to consider with machine work on th elog manifold is multiple ports from a plenum with your choice of carbs or a swap-able carb platform. Includes advantages of multiple intake ports along runner instead of log manifold and simplicity of a single, larger (and/or newly available) carb(s)'.

On a small block six integral head 250, I used an Offy Tri-power 3 port adapter with what I call a Hi-Rise plenum with a big 500 cfm 2300 on a heavily modified 250 six.
On the big block six, I would like to see a tunnel ram or Hi Rise as the removable intake with a suitable 4Bbl and drive the experiment ...
. . .
---

. .

. .
> my current project cuts half the log off leaving the runners and inner log wall and adds a suitable plenum with carb/injector swap options. Current tri-port plenum with big 2bbl and 1/2 log work are part of simplifying a forced induction project ... .

Powerband, nice work, I am in the middle of building a 250, log head for drag racing only. On my 69 head all porting is done and we cut out a 2 inch section between 2&3 and 4&5, welded them up and fabed a 2 inch square log with 3 inputs to the log. I have a full 2 barrel Holley plate screwed to the log. It will be turbocharged on E 85. Head work is all done the block is now being done. C-4 transmission is all done. Plan to run sportsman, 12 second index.

hotrodguy":q3bpcxia said:
Powerband, nice work, I am in the middle of building a 250, log head for drag racing only. On my 69 head all porting is done and we cut out a 2 inch section between 2&3 and 4&5, welded them up and fabed a 2 inch square log with 3 inputs to the log. I have a full 2 barrel Holley plate screwed to the log. It will be turbocharged on E 85. Head work is all done the block is now being done. C-4 transmission is all done. Plan to run sportsman, 12 second index.

I would very much like to see pictures.

Just following up on my last post.

I am getting a 1979 head for my mustang I6. The head is getting magnafluxed and will be getting a valve job. New Cams as well. We are going to put a plate in-between cylinders 3 and 4 and will mill 2 holes for matching A1100 and set up a dual carb linkage. Headers and exhaust to follow.

Hoping to get 140HP at the wheels when all said and done. Its "numbers" matching engine block, frame, and tranny, so keeping the six was important..
Do you guys think I'll get to 140?

"...and set up a dual carb linkage."
hardest prt. How…? Locar'n < L > brackets?

Machinist'll B fine.

Hey, use 3 2v?

Back