'63 Ford Falcon Wagon 170ci Alternator upgrade

Three6ty

Hey guys, New to the forum and so far it's been a great resource for me so thanks.

I just picked up a 1963 Ford Falcon Wagon ( econoline ) and the motor is a 170ci with auto trans. Everything runs and shifs fine and although its a pretty weak motor it gets around town for my daughter just fine. In the near future I am planning on rebuilding a 200ci to drop in to give it a little more HP but for now it does the job.

My problem is that since I am new to the Ford inline 6 family I am learning on the fly. I recently installed a decent little sound system in it and my fear were realized that the generator will not keep up with the draw of the 2 amps that I installed.
So i am looking to replace the generator with an higher amp alternator.

QUESTIONS:
1. what alternators will be a direct bolt in without too much modification to the mounts and/or are there mounting kits that directly bolt on.
2. Can someone send a link or two of which alternators will fit and where to buy them.
3. Is there anyone in the Temecula San Diego Riverside Area that has done this and would be willing to help me on my first project? I will pay for labor.

Thanks in advance

Mechanically, upgrading to an altonator is extremally easy. two ways to do it, Oem method requires the changing your timing cover, down on the passenger side of the timing cover will be an extra boss to mount the alternator, if yours is still original it won't be there. you will also need the bracket that goes to the alt(lower and upper?). both could be sourced from a local junkyard,the 200 was produced up to 83, Ac cars have a different bracket since they clocked the alterntor out towards the fender more,to let the ac compressor sit lower. good place to grab an alt if needed. i pulled a 60 amp alt off of a 82 ford granada with a 200 and Ac(might make a difference). going to the junkyard will also let you net some of the needed eletrical parts, since the alt is externally regulated. (covered in write up listed below)
when you pick up the 200, it should have all the nessosry parts, as i think in 65 was the change year from gen's to alt's, as welll as the major introduction of the 200. not sure if parts off of a 250 will work since it is wider at the oil pan.

slightly less oem method, http://www.falconparts.com/ford-falcon- ... 24p157.htm. This is a conversion bracket that will bolt to the old gen mounting locations and will fit an alt. Does not require the changing of the timing cover!

Here's a write up i have found and plan to follow when i convert my 61 ranchero.

i'd also sugest picking up the falcon 6 handbook for your rebuild, http://www.vintageinlines.com/#!product ... c87d8c1014. store is owned and opperated by a fellow 6'er, and the authors still chime in here to help people.

Best of luck

U da man Dragon !
Lay it out for "360", only thing I can add
is to ck the Classic Inlines Archive on our Index page
while he waits for the Handbook delivery.

You have tools for that swap?

Thanks Dragon.

So was looking at this alternator, and along with the bracket you listed above, do you think I would need anything else?

I have just about every standard tool aside from really specialty tools so I think if its just the alternator and bracket I should be good. I will change out the belt while i'm there as well. I am pretty handy when I know what i'm working on, but i'm just now learning the Straight 6 and since it's so basic it shouldn't take me long to figure it out. So i may throw some stupid questions out early on until I learn.

From what I understand since I have a '63 170ci, the only straight bolt in upgrade would be a 200ci. everything else would not fit or would need some reworking of the engine bay. I found a good core 200ci for $150 locally and Im going to pick it up tomorrow. I will tear it down and slowly build it up over the next 6 months or so as funds permit.
But for now it will be putting an alternator on the 170ci and hooking the stereo back up.

Thanks

If you pick up the 200 it should have the needed timing cover, and hopefully other brackets . If not the conversion kit would work but more money.

Then you will need wiring and a voltage regulator( Ford used an externally regulated alternator), that part I listed is in the write up. Best I've got for yeah on that part, I haven't done it. I managed to snag all but the voltage regulator from a yard. Already had a 200 core which had the needed hardware and brackets.

Best of luck, chris.

After the Handbook & CI Archive read let us know if you want ideas on the ignition, machining, cam choices etc.
Every 1 has an opinion but if looking for ideas let us know yer vehicle's final application & there's some
international renown experts here to assist w/zeroing in on just what's ideal ( will save U $ & X).

when i converted my 64 falcon 170 to an alternator, i used a 60amp alternator from a 71 maverick as i recall. the gen one alternators are all the same from ford, and interchange. i also used a one wire conversion kit to eliminate the regulator. i think autokrafters still carries the kit as well as the conversion mounts. i only needed the lower mount, as the upper generator mount worked nicely.

if you dont want, or cant find, the one wire conversion kit, then check out this page at www.mustangsteve.com;

http://www.mustangsteve.com/GENtoALT.html

it shows the wiring changes that need to be made to use the alternator. on bit of advice, when you go to buy a new regulator with this conversion, use the electronic regulator from the late 70s as they are more reliable than the earlier points style regulator.

When I converted my '63 170 I used the bracket kit mentioned above with an alternator and regulator from the box store for a '65 Mustang. I used the wiring diagram above (mustangsteve) to wire it in. Very easy and reliable.

From my experience on my '62...

Generator brackets will work with a Ford alternator, at least the 60's-70's alternators. You need a long 3-4" spacer, but they'll work.

Or the above-mentioned OEM and aftermarket brackets as well.

Regarding the actual alternator, you have 3 basic routes, as the wiring is different for all three.

1. Ford alternator with an EXTERNAL regulator. NOTE this is a different part from the Generator regulator.

2. For alternator with an INTERNAL regulator. Sometimes 1 wire, sometimes 2 wire.

3. GM alternator with an INTERNAL regulator. Aka the 1-wire method, which is the least desirable

I like route #1 because it's the simplest wiring, has remote voltage sensing, and looks OEM. I, did it on my '62 right at 10 years ago and haven't had a bit of trouble with it since.

Also, search this site on "generator alternator swap" but a ton of hits.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32024&p=232588&hilit=Alternator+regulator#p232588

I ended up using the bracket mentioned above and a GM 1 wire alternator on our 170 equipped 64 1/2 Mustang. I was cleaning up a previous owners install but it was a pretty straight forward deal. The only magic was putting a 10 ohm resistor inline and running a wire from the alternator to where the old voltage regulator was to make the idiot light work.

Jamyers - Why is the GM 1 wire the least desirable? just curious because that is what I am doing. I am doing a trade with a local Hot rod Mechanic on Wednesday and he is installing a new GM 120amp alternator 1 wire.

If you can mount a Ford alternator, you can mount a Ford 3G atlernator. You just have to get the right one and swap the pulley, you made need to use a washer for a spacer behind the pulley to get the right alignment. It has the same spacing as the 1G, is internally regulated, 130 amps and can produce a lot of current at idle. You may have to do a little bit of grinding on the mounting bracket to allow it to swing properly, but it's basically a direct fit for any old ford alternator. There's a little more girth near the mounts, the diameter of the main body is larger.

This one for a '96 Taurus is the right kind:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=474374&cc=1138979&jsn=481

Three6ty":3421ktfc said:
Jamyers - Why is the GM 1 wire the least desirable? just curious because that is what I am doing. I am doing a trade with a local Hot rod Mechanic on Wednesday and he is installing a new GM 120amp alternator 1 wire.

If you've got a deal in the works, by all means keep going!

By least desirable, I mean by a narrow margin, probably only meaningful to an over-analytical nerd like myself.
The differences in the above come from two main things, 1. Remote Voltage Sensing and 2. Having to rev the engine when starting to excite the alternator and begin charging. More info at these two links, if you're an over-analytical nerd like me:
http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical ... sing.shtml
http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical ... wire.shtml

but I'd continue with your deal, and if it works then move on. If you end up not liking it you can always change it - the beauty of old cars!

Back