Top-end and Cam Build

:unsure: yes with either of those problems not resolved or checked you can't really adjust the carb mixture properly. Mixture is only the fine tuning after everthing else is right. :rolflmao: so you have to trick your Brother to come and help you LOL. Well what ever it takes (trick or a bribe) in the end its all good, :thumb up

"...brother into coming over tomorrow afternoon and I can get a couple things resolved…"
NOW, That's what I need!
Can U send him my way as well?

Thank goodness I have this forum. I'm in a barter relationship w/a mechanic (he's lead on assembly) and do everything I can to reduce the labor I gotta do 4 him thru DIY (he wrks me pretty hard at the wood lot, spliter, delivery, etc). Hope ur bro is gentilier on YOU!
:unsure: :LOL:

Good Luck ! Cat!
not fur ta go now!

NOW, That's what I need!

You only say that because you haven't seen him in action. Beware of what you wish for! :rolflmao:

cr_bobcat":1n0690nb said:
NOW, That's what I need!
You only say that because you haven't seen him in action. Beware of what you wish for! :rolflmao:
o0OOPPpss.
Thought ur comment wuz full of hope.
OK, "leave U 2 ur devices"...

Wow...coolant will definitely flow straight up that bolt hole if you don't drain enough. But I got it figured out and have another gallon of coolant on the shop floor...

Anyway, bolt is back in and coated this time. Will be trying to start her again tomorrow. I have the valve cover off so now i can adjust both the mix screws and the valves. Getting closer....

I was going to say, if you are running it with the cover off. Check that valve train is getting oiled well and push rods are turning but not sure if on a hydraulic system if the rod spinning still apply? I know on a solid ,it tells you that the lifters are turning which they have to for proper wear.

It's ALIVE!!! Doin the happy dance...doin the happy dance... :beer:

I think it was a base timing issue. I also went back through and re-adjusted all of the valves too though so it could be a combination thereof.

Now the fun part: getting it tuned. I'm letting it cool down so that I can move vac lines around and get set up however I did notice one issue. I can't seem to get her to idle down below 930-950 RPM. I don't know if this is because the engine hasn't warmed up all the way and the fast idle cam is making things squirrelly? I need to make some adjustments to my throttle cable linkage once everything is cooled off again too, but I can't seem to get the idle below that range even when pressing the linkage all the way up. I'll try some stuff here again after the cable guy comes.

Oh, I can see ample oil getting to the rockers. As I adjust the base timing, the RPMs go up. somewhere around 1400 RPM is when the oil splashes enough to end up on the bottom side of the hood :D

EDIT: Looks like I'm getting about 14" of vac.

"...fast idle cam…"
can't just flick it w/ur finger?

Thanks ledslinger29!

Small update. After getting everything to idle, I ran into a rockerarm/valve cover interference issue. After a quick tear down and inspection I found out that one of the adjuster screws was banging against the baffle. So I got out a punch and a hammer (one of those extremely high tech ones with a bottle opener instead of a nail puller!!!) and did some persuading. I got everything re-assembled, fired her up, and no more "BANG BANG BANG". :beer:

Snuck out at lunch today to get an aircleaner. I picked up some chrome Edelbrock, 14" thing with a drop baseplate. I have a feeling I'm going to be doing some cutting on it to get it to fit. There's about a 1" stand-off on the bottom side that I can take the dremel to. I'll also probably be in the market for a 2.5" aircleaner as opposed to the 3" one that came with it. Nothing that a little redneck engineering can't resolve. Other than that, my remaining tasks are to dial in the adjustable PCV valve, install the transmission kickdown cable, and get my grill re-installed. I've just been waiting on that one until I knew I was done pulling out the radiator.

cr_bobcat":3fkga0c2 said:
...remaining tasks are to dial in the adjustable PCV valve, install the transmission kickdown cable...
just like the "big block/sm block" - ford using "families"
the "kick down' on this motor is - a "TV Cable"
some good stuff on pre transm. install and TV adjustment on the net.

First drive is in the books! Feels very stout! :beer:

I see what people have been telling me about the stall converter mismatch though. I'll definitely be getting that upgraded to a higher stall. That said, she might dog a bit from the stop, but I can definitely feel the power there wanting to come out and play!

Again, thanks so much to everyone for their help through this!

Now to get that exhaust installed..... :)

Not sure. Never bothered to ever check it in 20+ years of ownin her....

I don't trust that it matches the door tag which I think said 2.7-something. But my speedo is off by 17% or so. Either the rear end changed, or the nylon speedo gear in the trans. Never spent the time to figure it out. I just do the math in my head while I'm driving since it's close enough to 20%. I know....i know.... lazy....

Congrats!

Keep goin,
nearin perrrrfection
now!

cr_bobcat":1img24af said:
First drive is in the books! Feels very stout! :beer:

I see what people have been telling me about the stall converter mismatch though. I'll definitely be getting that upgraded to a higher stall. That said, she might dog a bit from the stop, but I can definitely feel the power there wanting to come out and play!

Again, thanks so much to everyone for their help through this!

Now to get that exhaust installed..... :)

:beer: congrats on making more progress bobcat!

It may be too late for this, but just to be clear on what it is you were checking when you degreed your cam and were getting 110°centerline? I ask, because the pics you showed when you had the degree wheel attached to the crank didn't show any indication you were actually checking the intake lobe centerline itself for that....ie, no indicator was shown to be measuring an intake lobe for that reading, only the degree wheel attached to the crank with the wire bolted to the block. Just verifying you were understanding what the 110°centerline term actually was representing. Thanks

I got 106* centerlines. I installed it 4* advanced. The pics I took of the wheel were actually when I installed it to check my old cam out. I don't think I took any pics of the wheel during the new install. The first time i installed the chain, i actually had it one tooth off and caught it by degreeing.

Cats da man!
(proof's in da puddin)

Back