250 block bore chipped, resleeve or put in service =/

autoX65

Have the 69 250 was about to start some assembly on an barely noticed a chunk missing from bottom of number two cylinder bore just about bigger then a 50 cent piece off the bottom lip.....was due to damage from a stock 69 250 that experienced detonation from the big piston to deck clearance and stock points ignition with today's fuels it didn't survive the rebuild long as it's already recently .060 over.

Any chance it's still usable as in replace the bad pistons and chamfer the edge of the bore damage then get it back together or shall I take it too one of my the local machine shops?

your link doesnt work. however i would say mock the motor up, install a piston, rod, and bearing into the offending cylinder, and cycle the crank through a couple of full rotations and see what you get. chances are that it wont affect anything, rare when it does. but check to be sure before fully assembling this engine, or tossing out the block.

Sleeving wont fix that problem because sleeves dont extend that far down in the bores. Its common in race engines to notch and clearance the bottoms of cylinders like that for aftermarket rods or stroker cranks. Just make sure when its bored and honed that any sharp edges down there are deburred before assembly.

Back