Cranking problems

I have a '67 Mustang Coupe with the 200.
Recently, I've added a Pertronix Ignitor ignition, Pertronix Flame Thrower coil, new rotor button, plugs, plug wires, etc. and it was running ok. After a drive around the block, I turned it off, and it was hard to crank, like the battery was weak. I took the battery to the store I got it from where they determined it was a bad battery and replaced it under warranty.
I installed the new battery, and it cranked. Drove it around, turned it off and the same thing. Seems like the (new) battery is weak. It drags and drags until the starter is clicking, then absolutely nothing.
I checked the connections to the battery and the cables are hot to the touch. Not like melt the skin off your hand, but hot. I replaced both positive and negative connectors as they were old, thinking maybe there was a bad connection, and it's still hot, and still won't crank.
I think I've included all the information here.
If you guys have any ideas, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thanks!!

:unsure: it sounds like you have a big power draw that you will need to find. To start the hunt you should have both the starter and alternator tested (it's free at many Auto Parts stores), recharge the battery, check if the starter solenoid is sticking (a light tap on it) or replace it. Also test the ignistion switch, and then go over all your electrical connections and grounds. You will need the use of a Volt / Ohm meter to measure the voltages and the wire resistance values too. Start at the battery and work your way back and you should disconnect the battery ground cable (-) when you are not working on your car until you find the problem if there is a big short it could fry your wiring or even cause much worse. Good luck :nod:

Yep, Sounds like your Generator is not recharging the battery. Might be going bad or the Voltage regulator as well. I just got mine switched over to a 100 Amp alternator and my battery always has a strong crank.

Hi, X2 A worn starter will draw excess current, so have it tested. Make sure your negative ground is very good to the engine and the body. Hard cranking could be to much timing advance, but it doesn't sound like that. Good luck

Hey guys!
Here's a quick update on my issues. The negative post on the starter was loose AND the timing was too far advanced! Looks like you were all right!! Give yourself's all a pat on the back, and thank you for helping me out!!!

Back