Holley #1946 Ported Vacuum source

Hot 6t Falcon

Departed Member
Howdy All:

We are working on Dennis' 1978 Mercury Z7. Trying to figure out a ported vacuum source for the distributor. Unfortunately the original system have been altered and/or removed. The question is, where can we find a vacuum source for the ignition system?

Thanks.

Adios, David

Hot 6t Falcon":13sr61yk said:
Howdy All:

We are working on Dennis' 1978 Mercury Z7. Trying to figure out a ported vacuum source for the distributor. Unfortunately the original system have been altered and/or removed. The question is, where can we find a vacuum source for the ignition system?

Thanks.

Adios, David

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread. ... e-Up-specs

RED 78';1202784 said:
You can download them from my site.
Here is the direct link.
http://myzephyrs.com/holly_carb_1946.htm"]http://myzephyrs.com/holly_carb_1946.htm

Here is how mine is routed.
FORD_6_CYL_DIAGRAM_1.jpg

FORD_6_CYL_DIAGRAM_2.jpg

The problem is Ford never had VECI diagrams for 1978 to 1980 1-bbl carbs, as there were X shells with Carters, Foxes with Holleys, and they made lots of 1946 modle changes between CA and non ca spec with respect to the air pump, secondary AIR, and then the new B code 200 and C code 250 changes in 1980. On my 1981, it was a yellow line that was played off the ported vac against a dioded vac line on my VECI. If you follow the VECI with all the letter codes broken out in active words, its easy to find, but it has just confused everyone else...so we used these pictures to elaborate the diagrams.

Naturally, progress was constant, so of course, Ford changed the colors of the non return platic color coded diodes, lines, and names, so this early 1978 T code
BOXTOP200.jpg

is all different to my 1981 B code color scheme and lines. The now you see it, now you dont air pump or secondary air lines.

/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68598
JackFish":13sr61yk said:
I ditched the solenoids on my 1946. I run the distributor vacuum from the "spark" port high up on the driver side of the carb.
It works well.

Not using any ported vacuum switches.
I have also drilled a hole in the throttle plate to allow the 264/274/112 cam to get into decent idle range.
I still run a vacuum out to the charcoal box thing to collect vapours from the vent on the top of the carb.
Cut a spacer out of a dollar store cutting board and sandwiched that between a couple of homemade gaskets.
I'd like to find a suitable replacement for that out of aluminum or phenolic.

MrMootsie":13sr61yk said:
Installed this carb last night, using the Spark Valve connection high up on the driver's side.

Large bore vacuum connection... Out of the box, this is a quantum leap over the 1100. I have to fabricate a new throttle linkage, as the geometry is not exactly correct. Pretty happy with this so far.

Since the Ford list is for Fords trained service people, and not people like us, I use a 75 item name and claim it version of the list, which is based on a hard return, digitized version of http://myzephyrs.com/vac_part_name.htm

Item

8 BV: Bowl Vent (on top of the float tanks)
17 MAN VAC: Indicating Manifold vacuum-Vacuum source for brake booster
21 V VAC: short for Vacuum
35 S Spark Port
37 E EGR Port

need to be identified

V is the item Mootsie called the "Spark Valve connection high up on the driver's side. Large bore vacuum connection..."

holley1946_3.jpg

Autozone, diagram Fig 28

AUTOZONE_Fig_Fig_28_Accelerator%20pump%20stroke%20adjustment-Holley%201946_1.jpg

For pre 1980, 17 is the port here by my hand

Untitled.jpg

For 1980 to 1983, man vac 17 is on a hex port, capped off with a hex grub screw in 1bad6t's photos

14-E-BE-BB.jpg

intake-boss.jpg

Item's

35 S Spark Port
37 E EGR Port

BV changed when the electric bowel vent came out. For pre 1980, this should be right.

Listed by RED 78'
http://myzephyrs.com/CARB_DIAGRAM.HTM

HowdyBak:

Thanks X. unfortunately most of the original stuff has been removed and no desire to pursue replacing it. A built D8 head with a 1.08 2100 is setting on the bench ready for installation.

thanks again.

Adios, David

Ahh I see the problem :oops:

The link X gave has the best info I could find on the 1946 vacuum system. Pretty gnarly

xctasy":180ummo9 said:
Item's

35 S Spark Port
37 E EGR Port

BV changed when the electric bowel vent came out. For pre 1980, this should be right.

Listed by RED 78'
http://myzephyrs.com/CARB_DIAGRAM.HTM

click on the link above, .. cannot copy it, Copyright 2011 JIM KOCH

CR_JIM_KOCH_2011.jpg

No clear 1978-1980 Ford VECI exists for each type, they rely on no-one having mucked about with the details. Your basically screwed if they have been fiddled with.

The problem is that only the Mopar 1-bbl Holley 1945 stuff on the net is all encompassing

Mopar 1974 Master Technicians Service Conferance (MTST) rebuild video is the best help...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBti9Y-5g60

Just have to re name

the Power_valve_modulator

Power_valve_modulator.jpg

OSAC (Orifice Spark Advance Control) ,
autozone.com's 1945/6145 carb service is good, whereas the Ford one is just downright nasty...

http://www.autozone.com/repairguides/Ch ... 528007fc53

Fig. 1: Float level adjustment for the Holley 1945 and 6145 carburetors
Fig. 2: Accelerator pump piston stroke adjustment for the Holley 1945 carburetor
Fig. 3: Fast idle cam position adjustment on the Holley 1945 carburetor
Fig. 4: Choke unloader adjustment for the Holley 1945 carburetor
Fig. 5: Choke vacuum kick adjustment for the Holley 1945 carburetor
Fig. 6: Fast idle speed adjustment for the Holley 1945 and 6145 carburetors
Fig. 7: Dashpot adjustment for the Holley 1945 carburetor

Sadly, there is no one ready reader for the 1946, 1949, or 6149/6153 on autozone.com. They use Ford supplied info, and its sadly "lumped-in" with Fords most complicated carbs known to mankind, the 2700 and 7200 Motorcraft, and the simplest, the 2100/2150. Then there is the YFA and CFi, plus MCU and EEC controls just to totally mess up the mash up. I'm an engineering technician, and it took me 5 years to get on top of this stuff.

People also repaint the engines, chop and change carb parts entirely , decide they don't want the AIR pump, secondary air, the primary cat, or remove the A/C or put a later model engine in an try to jumper bits form 1970's cars to it. KnightMARE!

The only thing that helped me was the Jay Storer Propane book, and then the Impco Techncial Service Bulletins from 1984...that at least gives you an over-view of the systems that you can then eliminate from the Ford documents. Maliase? You betcha!

And you giet this kind of stuff too, where people have use the earlier years 200 or later years 250 or even 300 truck carbs on a Fox body...they bolt right on, you know, have the same size venturi and throttle, yet each year from 1978 to 1983, there were rampant changes that just slay you.

A good YFA is a lot neater...its a natural fitment.

This is how to YFA Carter an originally Holley 1946 3.3 Fox engine

2594472_15_full.jpg

The low profile 250 and 300 YFA carb air cleaner is interchangable, as the air cleaner snout stamping says. The X-shell Granada, Comete/Maverick/Monarch need these air cleaner housings as they are the low hood cars with very tall long stroke 250's. The X- shell variant versions also fit the F100 300 cube truck.

Notice that conversely, the F150 truck air cleaner serves both the 250 and 300.

This is the F150 300 air cleaner on the Carter YFA equiped 1980 250 (or a low mount 200)

75_250_120Small-1.jpg

The Carter YFA air cleaner in one of its natural settings is this 1978 Granada 250.

That was the other side of this 1980 Monarch 250 shot. Same air cleaner, I think

Notice that both the Holley 1946 with its factory adaptor is 5 1/8" tall, the Carter YF lookes 5 -1/8 " without it. I guess the earlier Carter YF on auto IMCO Mustangs and the later Carter RBS would be the same height.

The 'bump' for the YF hot air automatic choke and Holley 1946 on my Fox air cleaner lookes the same, but either carb needs the bump to clear the automatic pulldown choke. .

The YFA F100 air cleaner got revised from the Gomer Pyle Army issue version to the later snorkel kind.

Initially, the old 73-74 E100 E200 E300 NOS FORD D3UZ-9600-A

It stayed around quite a while with its extra emmisions additions..

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc501/xecute6/7374E100E200E300NOSFORDD3UZ_9600_A_37.jpg

JackFish":1l49so1p said:
I run a line directly from the spark port to the distributor.
Works fine. (y)

Got it all now. I have to get my stuff from non copywrite sources, so its hard to tag an existing source, and label it.

I think RED 78' might have the two S and E ports around the wrong way in his picture, and Moostsie in his description too. S is certainly the down low port on the passenger side. Unlike the YFA, the Holley 1940/1945/1946 and 614x/615x family has the float bowel and choke at the back, and it has confused a lot of people. The fuel inlet isn't where the float bowl is, and some Autolites have the choke at the front instead, so its all a bit of a mish mash. Just as well you guys haven't got a RHD Fox 3.3, or the passenger side will be different depending on which country your in.

:banghead:

Clockwise from front passenger side of carb is S, E, then V and then BV.

1-12b-R0%201981_DCK.jpg

1-12b-R0%201981_DCK_DOWN.jpg

The VECI I have and the 1945 Mopar info, says the Spark valve is the one down low, the E is the one above it.

Our Finnish member 80Stang and former I6 80 3.3 Mustang Notch owner

(now '79 Indy Pace Car V8 / Aut, '79 Indy Pace Car L4 Turbo / Man, '84 Capri RS V8 / T5, '65 Fastback Shelby GT-350 replica owner)

has photos for the "B" VIN code 3.3 engine for 1980.

They are similar to your 1978-1979, despite the foot ball primary cat and idle contol solenoid.

(C) Ponikorjaamo.com 2004-2006

http://www.ponikorjaamo.com/ti80/holley1946.htm

There are two lines at the passenger side front. Lower is the yellow line to the distirbutor via the S valve,

Upper is the capped E = EGR control port, a green line usually E port.

holley1946_16.jpg

On the drivers side front of the pre 1981 versions at the top, there is the capped large diameter BV Bowel Vent

Below it, also capped, is the V port is the lower drivers side front.

holley1946_15.jpg

That oughta get you in sync.

The lines have color check valves/diodes to get priority flow that changes the vacuum source form Spark to Ported or Manifold via the later model vaccum and emission lines, like the Mustang 4-bbl M codes from 1983 to 1985. It can put a fair old strain on the grey matter finding out where any of this stuff goes without an existing car to copy.

A, B, C, L, or Y code (65-74 240/ 66-78 300/4.1 1980/250 69-79/ 4.9 1979-1986) YFA Carter carbs are often subed in.

Hot 6t Falcon and CZLN6

This is the all encompassing Thermactor/ IMCO and pre Port EFI list formed from 5 years work on the photo's and descriptions from consultation with four other websites, and a lot of very good, very helpfull people. For our EFI Big Six guys, these terms help, although they don't include TFi, PIP, SPOUT, and the details which most owners have quickly learned from the modern Injection world, and its much easier than the 1978 to 1983 3.3 small six and 1978 to 1980 4.1 small six era.

Fordsix.Com is the first and foremost, but

the Ford Truck Forum then
Four Eyed Pride,
and lastly, two other Australian Ford forums helped me compile it.

Due to Thermactor and IMCO (Ford's new IMCO [Improved Combustion] emissions control was an integral part of light duty passenger cars),
engineering terms having quite specific operations, I've had to repeat

Ten or so Items

plus the letters
A,
E,
S,
SOL V,
BV

They are not perfect, due to the way Ford has to change and evolve the nomenclature. Ported Vacuum sources are a dirty word in the emissions era, so a whole lot of things had to change over the years.

Note too that Ford uses one kind of component to create another.

Item 27, the TVS (Thermal Vacuum Swithc Valve), is clearly stamped TVS, but called and listed as something else, and color code governs the Ford actualtion temperature and rating.

An item code for DV doesn't exist because a DV (Delay Valve), creates other parts. Eveen though for example, AMC Jeep used Ford emission and EVAP parts, the so called DV valves are color code many different ways, and used to create many, many other devices with DV in them as you might see below.

Again, all DV's are coded by color for delay time.

Often, the Green ones aren't avaliable, so pepole are forced to use non standard colors/shade or parts because they re used as Air Cleaner Cold Weather Modulator CWM. The Green TVS stamped device wasn't around on line. Same with Blue Black or Yellow ones. Stamped TVS, but actually called other names by Ford.

Here is a near match to a Green TVS, a Pink TVS, which won't have exactly the right leak pressure as per the 1985 Ford EVTM
images

Green%20CWM_1.jpg

The other CWM (TVS) colors for 3.3's are Blue and Green

For 4.9 Bix Sixes and other F-truck and E-Van vehicles, white and green

Ratings ex Ford Truck Enthusiasts, and FSP member Luke76
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1157 ... ld-39.html
ACTS_TVS_CWM_CODES_HG_RATINGS_EX_BUBBA.jpg

Note Well:

Bubba's yellow CWM numbers in last column are transposed (around the wrong way) according to Fords 1985 EVTM .

ACTS_TVS_CWM_CODES_HG_RATINGS_EX_Luke76.jpg

http://myzephyrs.com/vac_part_name.htm and everyone in parts list them as 9A995, or Air Cleaner TVS

See http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread. ... ost1819914

mrriggs":1f09g866 said:
I realize this is an old thread but it keeps coming up in my searches to make heads or tails of the vacuum system.

I found this list of FORD vacuum delay valves which may be more relevant to our cars than the list previously linked to.

1BADI6_VIA_MR_RIGGS.jpg

The list was found here, http://www.1bad6t.com/Maverick/repair/emission_controls_02.html

1bad6t...FordSix member
It gets worse, because each part for an Thermactor to IMCO 1968 onwards Ford Emission part has a Ford Part Number, with a calibration for that engine and gearbox type, even Air Con or Power Steering changes the air cleaner or Emissions parts. Electrical and Vacuum routing Trouble Shooting manuals help a little, but they won't always tell you what is, or was, supposed to be there

Best advice is that the car is the Vehicle Emission Control Information Diagram... the codes like a Brown colored OEM Air Control Valve # E1BE-9F491-BA For 1981 3.3 B VIN code Mustang, are specfic to THAT vehicle, and not a charted color.
fb71":1f09g866 said:
The problem is that they don't indicate which part/engineering number applies to which vehicle. I need an old parts microfiche for that (don't have a fiche reader anyway), or someone to document what parts are on their application.

85MUSTANGTGT":1f09g866 said:
......Something you might look for is an emission diagnosis manual for your year. I just snagged this one off eBay for my '85, came in the mail today. Have only flipped through it, but lots of info and component descriptions.

The following is the best list I could manage.

0 VECI: Vehicle Emission Control Information, a Diagram detail
1 A/CL: according to Ford, that IS the air cleaner
2 A/CL DV: Air Cleaner Duct & Valve
3 A/CL BI MET: Air Cleaner Bi-Metallic Valve
4 A/CL CWM: Air Cleaner Cold Weather Modulator
5 ACV: Air Control Valve
6 AIR: This is a Secondary air injection Ford calls the Thermactor, short for Thermal Reactor. CA vehicles are installed with it as standard. Air Injection Reaction is what it stands for.
The thermactor system consists mainly of the air pump, the air pump diverter and bypass valves, TAB and TAD solenoids (if equipped) and the catalytic converter.
7 AIR BPV: Air Bypass Valve (aka Thermactor Air Bypass TAB)
9 CARB: Carburetor
10 CPRV: Canister Purge Valve ( PURGE CV : )
11 DIST : Distributor of course.
12 EGR: Exhaust Gas Recirculator
13 EFCA: Electronic Fuel Control Assembly (ie Central Fuel Injection or Throttle Body Injection on EECIII and EECIV CFi "EFI" Fords)
14 FLTR: Filter
15 FPR: Fuel Pressure Regulator
16 IVV: Thermactor Idle Vacuum Valve
17 MAN VAC: Indicating Manifold vacuum-Vacuum source
18 MAP: Manifold Absolute Pressure (BMAP: Bariometric Manifold Absolute Pressure, in the case of CFi 5.0 EECIII cars from 1979 to 1985)
19 SOL V: Solenoid Valve
20 SV-CBV: Carburetor Fuel Bowl Solenoid Vent Valve
22 VCKV: Vacuum Check Valve
23 VRESER: Vacuum Reservoir (Actually VRESER just stands for Vacuum Reservoir. It may or may not have a valve or Solenoid Valve inside it.
24 VREST is a vacuum restriction, usually at the thermally controlled valve on top of the thermostat housing.
*On 87 4V 460 F250 truck it is a simple Blue plastic orifice inline with the vacuum line. On 81 IV 200, Pink plastic orifice inline with the vacuum line
25 VRV: Vacuum Regulator Valve
26 VRDV: Vacuum Retard Delay Valve, as these can be used on more than just the distributor.
27 TVS: Thermal Vacuum Switch, and is different to a Dashpot. On Fords these are usualy located in the air cleaner. IMPORTANT: Color defines Fords VECI Name, although clearly stamped TVS, they are called Item 4 A/CL CWM: Air Cleaner Cold Weather Modulator's and may be Green, Purple, Grey, White, Black or Yellow with a different rating based on color.
28 TVV: Thermal Vent Valve. On Fords they are mostly controlled by ambient air temps. Simular to a TVS. Located between the carb and the charcoal cannister.
29 PVS: Ported Vacuum Switch: Very similar to TVVs except on Fords they are used in the cooling system and are controlled by water temps.
30 PURGE CV: Vapor Canister Purge Valve
31 EVAP CANISTER ASY
32 ISC: Ford refers to theirs as an Idle Speed Control (ISC) solenoid. Others mis-use the Idle Air Contro (IAC) term
33 Idle Boost Solenoid (Orange Knob on 81, 82, 83 A/C Equiped 3.3's) or Throttle Kicker Control (TK)
34 Carburettor Throttle Solenoid Positioner (Anti Dieseling Valve/Idle Stop Solenoid)
35 S Spark Port
36 EGR Actuator
37 E EGR Port
38 CATALYST or CAT is catalytic converter (VECI Diagram detail is CATALYST)
39 ENG is engine;
40 ACT - not sure, but on EFIs it means Air Charge Temperature sensor
41 Inlet Air Temperature Control
42 Green DVCV 2 port PVS Vaccum Switches
43 Blue TCVV 3 Port Vaccum Switches
44 Dual Diaphram Distibutor
45 Black SDV Cold Start Spark Delay valve
46 Black SDV EGR Vaccuum delay valve
47 Deceleration Valve (PVS Cold Start lockout Dampened, Non Dashpot)
48 Non dampened or 2 port PVS (dampened) control EGR
49 Attitude and Position Fuel Trap
50 PVS Vacuum with Sintered Line Filters
51 Close Limit primary or Main Jets,
52 Lead plug sealed idle screws
53 Carburettor Throttle Solenoid Positioner (Repeat of 34, Anti Dieseling Valve/Idle Stop Solenoid)
54 Evaporative Emmission Control System
55 Anti Backfire Valve
56 EGR Valve Actuator
57 Vacuum Regulator/Solenoid
58 SOL V: Solenoid Valve ( Repeat of 19 )
59 Venturi Vacuum Amplifier
60 Load Control Valve
61 EGR B/P Transducer
62 Signal Conditioner
63 Ported Pressure Switch
64 Vent Valve Vacuum
65 Vacuum Controlled Switch
66 Vacuum Controlled Switch (Cold Temp)
67 Vacuum Controlled Switch (Decel Idle)
68 Vacuum Delay Valve
69 Vacuum Vent Valve
70 Delay Valve Two Way
71 Ignition Timing Vacuum Switch
72 Ignition Pressure Switch
73 TK (Throttle Kicker)
74 Mushroom caps for charcoal fuel vapor canister vents (VECI Diagram detail).
75 CARB BV (VECI Diagram detail, Repeat of 8 BV: Bowl Vent [on top of the float tanks])
76 FUEL T (VECI Diagram detail)
77 SLEEVE (VECI Diagram detail)
78 TO ATMOS (VECI Diagram detail)
79 VAC-SWITCH ASSY (VECI Diagram detail)
80 SA-FV: Separator Assembly Fuel / Vaccum (VECI Diagram detail)
81 PCV: Positive Crankcase Ventilation (VECI Diagram detail)
82 A : Area to apply Hand Vacuum Pump test (VECI Diagram detail, often multiple 2X)
83 Anti B/F : Anti Back Fire
84 HEAT VLV : Heat Riser Valve (Drivers side Header Heat Riser in some cases)
85 HICV : Hot Idle Control Valve
86 VOLTM : Vacuum Operated Load Throttle Modulator
87 VOTM : Vacuum Operated Throttle Modulator (Variation on 34 and 53 Carburettor Throttle Solenoid Positioner, 73 TK [Throttle Kicker])
88 VR/S: Vaccum Regulator Solenoid
89 VRDM : Vacuum Retard Delay Modulator
90 DUMP : Dump (Open to Air, VECI Diagram detail)
91 DIV : Diverter (VECI Diagram detail)
92 LCV : Load Control Valve
93 Vac Switch Assembley (Like SOL V, only vac operated, Refer Item 33, Idle Boost Solenoid [Orange Knob on 81, 82, 83 A/C Equiped 3.3's] used as a kind of Throttle Kicker Control [TK], but to contol base idle)

Add you own...I think there are lots of compenstator fender apron air bleeds for hi alt states like CO, and Smog Nazi states like CA, shift indicators and other exciting Works in progress I havent touched yet....

VECI diagrams use LOTS of other codes, like finally describing the PCV valve (not present on many VECI'S), but then using heat(ed) control exhaust valves as HCV on later ones, and change from Themactor BPV to ABV, ACV and TAD/TAB and T Kicker under two different names, as well as MAP sensors, and other mysteries during the EECIV era, so you have to go back to this Olde Worlde Ford Flying Toilet grocery list, and figure out Whats likely to be What.
The best forms of the art are the colored M code 4BBL 5.0 HO Mustangs of 1983-1985.

As I say, google or chrome or firefox an online screen dump or link to full size 83 4BBL HO 4V VECI, and find as well the colored one with the codes.

The VECI code for any 80 to date under-hood schematic is XXX with an E3 Something BPN no.

I've found it best to use the Seven color breakout RGOYWBP. Um, okay, blacks not a color, so I guess its "Fords One not color and Six-Color Alphabet" color code

Color Codes to do Vacuum Diagram

[highlight=red]Red[/highlight] = Main vacuum
[highlight=green]Green[/highlight] = EGR function
[highlight=orange]Orange[/highlight] = Heat control Valve (exhaust & intake) (AKA heat riser but more complex)
Yellow[highlight=yellow]Yellow[/highlight] = Distributor advance
White = EGR vacuum (source)
Black = Mainly used for the Evaporative emissions control
Black = Thermactor ACV or Diverter valve
[highlight=blue]Blue[/highlight] = Throttle Kicker control
[highlight=pink]Pink[/highlight] = Thermactor Air Bypass Valve (BPV)

Using the large under hood VECI, and the online color VECI,

Zoom your eyes back and forth from the colors in the XXX diagram.

For me, I had to learn all this in baby steps when I found my 1981 Holley 1946C had everything different to the Red78' VECI's, and to recocile them was almost impossible without first getting the names right.

Then, I put the 1963 170 C1DE head under the 1981 carb, on a 1981 Mustang, and that started the process. C code 4.1's, B code 1980 to 1982, and X code 1983 3.3 engines are radically different from the friendly old YFA Carter carbed 3.3 T and 4.1 L codes. Its probably nastier than the EECIV Feedback era 4.9 liter F150 carbs because at least Truck guys help one another out. With 80 to 83's, none of what you guys asked is very relevant. And the difference between the 1980 and 1981 3.3's is huge too....the carb isn't feedback, but it has feedback like controls which are a mystery to anyone without access to a Ford Technician to show forth the way forward.

I started with a video, and hundreds of pictures, and its only now since the return of a lot of very smart long time Ford Sixers that I've been able to "Name and Claim" each part.

IMG_7139_vreser.jpg

Confirming the factory1978 1946 Holley diagram with what might be the right hookups for 1978-1979 T code 200's.

1980-1982 B codes and 1983 X codes differ. Spark valve is in another place I think.

Proper answer from Bob the builder,

"Spark port on my Holley 1946 - manifold vs. ported vacuum"

Post #8 by 62Ranchero200 » Tue May 29, 2012 "

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68088&p=521947#p521947
62Ranchero200":gt01brnv said:
JackFish":gt01brnv said:
"Spark Port" is most definitely a ported source, not manifold.
The photos in those pictures are labeled differently than the Ford manuals.
I am currently running my dizzy off the "venturi vacuum port, works fine. There's is no discernible difference between that one and the EGR port on the passenger side. You can hook up a vacuum guage and compare to verify this.
RPM at idle should not change when hooked up to ported vacuum or not.
What is the timing with no vacuum to the dizzy?

Tonight I hooked up a vacuum gauge to each of the three vacuum ports on my Holley 1946:

"Spark" port - 15" at idle, 15" at 2000 RPM, staying at 15" as RPM increased further
"EGR" port - 7.5" at idle, 15" at 2000 RPM, increasing slightly as RPM increased further
"Venturi" port - 0 both at idle and at 2000 RPM

I hooked up the DS II vacuum advance to the "EGR" port. Now it doesn't advance too far at idle, but it advances at higher RPM.

Bob the Builder

Picture?

No one seasms to get the FoMoCo Duraspark II dual advance and three port vac 1946 Holley Carb hookup. The YFA has a different kind of hookup.

Each 1-bbl carb has to have the right emissions hookups to work.

is the 1980-1983 diagram , not like like jim K's. HCI Valve, the Hot Idle Compensator, is not shown. This creates a lot of trouble for many carb rebuilders.

Ford knew that as log as the car had all the bits at assembly, they wouldn't need to do anything but adjust it.I've had perfect reliablity with mne when those things are established.

Everything is color coded, Red, Gold and Green.

Like the culture clubs Karma Chameleon Lyrics...

Those bits go to the carb parts, but they have to go around the right way.

In the http://www.autozone.com/repairguide...rcraft-2700VV-and-7200VV/_/P-0900c1528004e0d6

Shop Manual the upper one is marked "Venturi vacuum pick-up tube" and the lower is "Spark vacuum pick-up tube". The first one should be Green and the latter Gold.

Here it is in the natural Holley 1946 with the common 12B calibration 1-12B-R0 1981. Plenty of 1980 cars used the later 1981 to 1983 emission system. The earlier ones decribe the process better.

veci_sticker.jpg

holley1946_1.jpg

holley1946_2.jpg

holley1946_3.jpg

holley1946_4.jpg

holley1946_5.jpg

Sadly, the parts don't follow one common base name. Ford trucks and RV's use different names, and the base names evolved from 1979 to 1988. In fact, even VECI diagrams weren't part of the placard untill 1981, and they were held by Ford under the calibration code.

Ford has an all inclusive shop manual, which has many different carbs. What is stamped as a Motorcraft 1946on the carb ID plate is referred variously the Holley 1946, or the 1946c or even so called 1933 figure 19.

Here is

Fig 9

The diagram in quarters

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc501/xecute6/xecute6114/Fig 9 Holley 1946 carburetor 1_4.jpg
http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc501/xecute6/xecute6114/Fig 9 Holley 1946 carburetor 2_4.jpg
http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc501/xecute6/xecute6114/Fig 9 Holley 1946 carburetor 3_4.jpg
http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc501/xecute6/xecute6114/Fig 9 Holley 1946 carburetor 4_4.jpg

Fig 19
Fig%20%2019%20Choke%20plate%20pulldown%20adjustment-Holley%201946%20early-model%20carburetor.jpg

Fig 20
Fig%2020%20Choke%20plate%20pulldown%20adjustment-Holley%201946%20carburetorUntitled.jpg

and

Fig 40
Fig%2040%20Fast%20idle%20cam%20setting-Holley%201946%20carburetor.jpg

Thanks again X:

My brother, Dennis, passed away, last July, after a long battle. Thanks for the link and your help. The Holley 1946 is a non-issue for us/me now. Dennis' last 2V conversion head is waiting on his work bench. It will have an Autolite 2100 and will be set up "old school".

At this point, I don't know what will be the next step for the head, that was to go on the '78 Zephyr. I was his final project.

Thanks again X. Always good info, as always.

Adios, David

Back