Balancer help

ledslinger29

Anybody got any tips for pulling a harmonic balancer, aside from the Pblaster and an air gun? I've got a three bolt puller on it and it wont budge! Day 2 of the Pblaster soak....

Use a puller bolted to the 3 threaded holes. Loaner one from the autoparts store if you don't have the right one.

I used the threaded puller setup Econoline is suggesting. Beware using the hooked gear puller approach. You can pull the balancer apart at the seam.

I had more trouble breaking the bolt loose than pulling the dampner itself. Maybe try a 3 ft section of pipe on the end of your breaker bar. It does take some work. Just make sure you don't bugger the threads of the crank or you're going to be a very sad camper...

cr_bobcat":s4iz7zpt said:
I used the threaded puller setup Econoline is suggesting. Beware using the hooked gear puller approach. You can pull the balancer apart at the seam.
I had more trouble breaking the bolt loose than pulling the dampner itself. Maybe try a 3 ft section of pipe on the end of your breaker bar. It does take some work. Just make sure you don't bugger the threads of the crank or you're going to be a very sad camper...
Or the 'heat'n pull' approach ie 'll melt the rubber inside.

Im using the three bolt puller, with no luck so far. Good tip on not using heat, as I was about to fire it up. I guess I'll just continue the soak.

ledslinger29":3gyhi89z said:
Im using the three bolt puller, with no luck so far. Good tip on not using heat, as I was about to fire it up. I guess I'll just continue the soak.

Or get a rebuilt, new….
kinda hard to source (esp. in MY price range)

Have fun, B safe AND productive...

Hi, X2 on no heat you could ruin the balancer and the timing cover seal. I assume the bolt and washer is out of the crank. I like to put a socket that fits in the crank and run the forcing screw against the socket. This way you will not damage the crank. I never had any trouble and never needed spray oil. I wonder if the key is messed up.Good Luck

Some good hard raps w/ a dead blow mallet on the snout end may help free it up a bit

Hi, mine looks the same. If the timing mark is on the money the outer ring did not slip and I think you are good. Good luck

I've got a brand new balancer from Mac's Auto that I didn't use if anyone is interested in buying. Chris

Back