Carb. Vacuum Fitting

Humpbackshooter

[image][/image]

What kind of fitting is this? I know its not a "flare or inverted flare". The reason I ask is because its the vacuum fitting that goes to the vacuum advance from the carb. Its doesn't seem to tighten up. The shoulder looks like it is bottoming out on the side of the carb. And the line is still loose. ( can spin..but will not wiggle).

Thanks,
Hump

It's a compression fitting they don't have to be all that tight (so as to not move) but they will still seal good. To test you can spray some carb cleaner around it when engine is running. Good luck :nod:

Yep compression fitting, someone's torqued that one down hard. You almost can't see the ferrule

looks like both sides (ends) R starting to strip too?

This pic app Perry upgraded to is fantastic(ly detailed) now!
Also gets so close up (w/o blurring) I sometimes can't tell what I'm looking at. Never see stuff THAT close on a daily maintenance schedule I don't recognize stuff (guys have put up here sometimes).

If it wont seal, cut the fitting off and get a new ferrule and nut at the hardware or auto parts store. The nut will probably separate from the tube and ferrule with a little finesse then you just need the ferrule. But if that aint sealing and someone already tried real hard. Maybe look at the seat for a gouge or get a new ferrule and/or run a bottom tap down the hole to get it closer if need be.

I ran into the same thing on my 170 distributor vacuum line. The nut is like a shortened inverted flare nut. Or the kind of semi-integrated nut and ferrule used on pilot light assy's for ages.

Bubba......I did try some starting spray and it didn't rev up or stumble......so I guess it's O.K.

As far as the pic goes....I took it with my Iphone.....mailed it to my email account and then added it to my photobucket.

I guess the stumble is something else. Not the acc. pump...cause I just changed that and its spraying when the pedal is pushed.

Thanks for the replies
Hump/Phil

Maybe I missed it, but what RPM range are you getting a stumble? That might help folks (not me, I don't enough about carbs and/or tuning to be useful) point you in the right direction.

:unsure: I do see that you have a SCV carb. Could your stumble related to a vac transition? Maybe the vac assembly in the distributor is sticking? Just throwing that out there. Again, I'm no expert...

CR....the stumble is happening at idle/taking off. Now I did check the vacuum advance to see if it was moving with a vacuum. (it was) I try and up load my video of that.

Hump

:unsure: It looks like you have a bad advance Diafram as its not holding the vaccum very long (unless your vaccum lines are letting it leak down) also check that the carb's SCV is working. If the advance diafram not holding a vacuum that's is likely why you have that stumble too. Good luck

I agree with Bubba. The vacuum canister is definitely not holding a vacuum.
I would upgrade to the 68 distributor & modify your carb for the later design distributor or replace your carb. for a non SCV design.
It will perform much better than what you have. At the least replace the vacuum canister.

Thanks for the info.....the leak-down may be cause of how I have it hooked up. The plastic tube was placed on the other end of the metal line that goes into the carb.....and it didn't fit tight. I will redo this tonight with tighter fitting and see if it holds.
Also.....how do I check that SCV?

Hump.

:unsure: ok then just disconnect the vacuum line at the carb maybe put a hose clamp on the plastic line or find a tighter rubber line. Hook it up so that you are only pulling the vacuum on that vacuum hard line and the distributors advance diafram if it's good it won't bled down. Good luck :nod:

Back