Weber Carb Question

65 Mustang

Hi All,
Going to be upgrading my carb soon (been talking about it for a while now). After doing a lot of research I've settled on the 32/36 Weber DGV. After reading the description, it was noted that a more modern distributor such as Duraspark most likely is needed. How true is this statement? I currently have a stock distributor with a pertronix in it. I'm also using a Flamethrower ignition coil. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If you dan't have a 69 or later head, look for one first, get it and have a valve job done. If your head was recently redone, I'm sorry. You'll have to make or buy a small to large log adapter to use most any carb you'll use. People sing praises of the webers, but they look like a pita to tune to me. If you don't have the engine to back up the cfm's you give it, it will be of little gain and may cause more problems than it's worth. If it's a stock motor I'd recommend a later head with 1.75" intakes and whatever carb you want, I'd go RBS, it's lower profile than a YF, doesn't have the problems of 1100's and, at least in my case, very easy to adapt the linkage to.

65 Mustang":3pebrsu6 said:
Hi All,
Going to be upgrading my carb soon (been talking about it for a while now). After doing a lot of research I've settled on the 32/36 Weber DGV. After reading the description, it was noted that a more modern distributor such as Duraspark most likely is needed. How true is this statement? I currently have a stock distributor with a pertronix in it. I'm also using a Flamethrower ignition coil. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Yes that's a true statement you will need a different distributor then your stock LOD to be compatible with the newer Weber carb. The minimum would be a later model point distributor with centrical and vacuum advance a 1968 up (1967 with the Ca. Spec) add your Pertonx and you have a good system. The DuraSpark II though is a much better solution. Good luck :nod:

Hi, the main question is what year is your stock setup? If you have the original load a matic distributor and SCV carb the new carb and old distributor do not work together. If you have a later conventional distributor with vacuum and mechanical advance (68 and later) you can do the carb alone and maybe ignition later. Get the Falcon Performance handbook for great advice. Good luck

Howdy 65 Mustang:

While the Weber is a good carb and many on the forum are using them successfully there are some details you should know before deciding. First, your stock Autolite 1100 carb and Load-O-Matic (LoM) distributor are linked by the Spark Control valve (SCV) in the carb that sends a load sensitive vacuum signal to the vacuum advance in the distributor. If you were to change either, the fairly efficient system will be lost. So, changing to a Weber carb that does not have a SCV your LoM distributor will no longer have vacuum advance. Some have simply increase the initial advance as a crutch, others have tried to use manifold vacuum which advances the vacuum advance to the max at all high vacuum engine functions. Your stock systems with the Petronix is capable of good performance. If you could find an Autolite 1101 from a Ford car or truck with a 233 six from 1963-64 it would offer a bolt on, stock appearing cfm increase from 185 to 210 cfm. That would be a noticeable increase in performance. Also increase your initial advance setting by 5 degrees over the stock setting. You should do this right now.

If I'm not mistaken, the Weber carb has a ported vacuum source making it compatible with all of the '68 and later distributors. These distributors will have both centrifugal and vacuum advance. The 1974 and later ignition systems are called DuraSpark, with a small cap, and about 1975, DuraSpark II (DSII), Large cap, are called electronic in that they no longer have points to wear and require periodic adjusting and replacement. The DuraSpark system includes the distributor, coil, module and 8mm spark plug wires. Upgrading to a DSII system is a great upgrade. The only downside is the mismatch with the stock SCV carb. It would be a great mate with the Weber.

Another downside of the Weber is that it takes a funnel like adapter to mount. The extra height can cause clearance issues for closing the hood. Your stock carb hole measure 1.5". Later, after 1970 heads have a 1.75" hole.

I hope that helps to make things more clear. Keep us posted on your choices.

Adios, David

Thanks all for the very detailed responses. I'm running a stock distributor ('65) so it only has vacuum advance. Planning to have cylinder head bored out to 1.75". The Weber attracts me because it is a progressive carb acting as a 1 barrel until the accelerator is a good way down. I'll probably end up throwing a DUI in there when I upgrade the carb. Hopefully other changes will not be necessary for the DUI.

Having run a Weber for the last 10 years or so... unless you like tinkering with carbs, I'd look elsewhere. While opening up the secondaries is fun, so is not having to mess with idle jets, air bleeds, main jets, main air bleeds, yadda yadda yadda. Because any Weber you get is going to need to be re-jetted, nobody makes one that's a bolt in for our engines. And getting one like I did from Stovebolt (if they're still around) can be a crapshoot in really weird ways, like mine has an ENORMOUS idle air bleed - and nobody sells idle air bleeds, so I had to redneck-engineer a way to reduce it.

However, if you like learning and tinkering, Webers are easy to work on, most parts are readily available on the interwebs, and you can get them dialed in to where EFI would only be marginally better.

Overall, I like my Weber, but if I could swap somebody for a good Carter RBS, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

carter RBS: $115 on the net.
(BTW: thanks 2 David'n Dennis 4 dis tip !!!).

MAKE SURE U get the right model #s 4 da Ford.
Some R 4 AMC, J^*p, etc.

Ha! Just when I thought I had it all figured out and settled on a weber dgv, you guys throw a carter rbs at me. Would the carter require an updated distributer? What advantage does the carter offer over my existing autolite 1100? Thanks.

I don't know that the RBS is significantly better than other 1-bbl, I just like them based on experience with marine engines

chad":32y4afm2 said:
carter RBS: $115 on the net.
(BTW: thanks 2 David'n Dennis 4 dis tip !!!).

MAKE SURE U get the right model #s 4 da Ford.
Some R 4 AMC, J^*p, etc.

Where? I'm not finding it.

My Weber 38/38 is awesome with my DUI. It is the perfect package for those that don't need the original look. Very simple to work with and responsive too. But, hood clearance is a problem.

Hello All,

So this comes at a pertinent time for me since my Weber 32/36 DGV is in the mail. I just received the adapter plate. And the engine I have in is a 200 with the larger log head. Stock as far as I can tell.

I have a distributor that I have recently (3 weeks or less) put a pertronix in. But I dont know if it mechanical +vacuum or just vacuum, How can I tell?

I am really hoping I wont need to replace my pertronix/coil I just purchased. Or purchase a different 200-600$ coil/dizzy to make it work right.

After reading jamyers comment it set me back a peg. In I had a little downdraft weber on my first car a datsun510 and I thought it worked pretty darn well. But that was many many moons ago.
To be quite honest, I expect more performance from the weber, and I honestly dont want to fook with it for 6 months to get it right. I really expected some sort of a recipe like 30#blah jets here and 34#Blah jets here and a blah64Jet for idle, if you have a stock motor.

This is the first 1bbl carbed engine I have owned as well. Tell me if my expectations are out of line.

Thanks in advance.

-Elwood.
1964 Ford Falcon, 200ci, c4

Before you start, about six or seven things can mess up and muddy the Small I6 144-170-200-250 tuning waters.

A. A cam change from the stock 240 or 256 degree cams to other more aggressive cam,
B. porting the head and
C. exhaust headers varies the carb tune.
D. The ignition settings,
E. vacum porting and
F. any adaptors for mounting the carbs changes what the Weber likes at idle a heck of a lot.

G. They GENERALY like a lot of initial ignition timing with an aggressive ramp up by about 2800 rpm, and then not too much total advance. 32 to 36, depending on cold cranking compression.

Did you know that there are about 30 different Holley Weber list versions from 1969 to date, and about 13 different factory Weber versions of the 32/36 and 38, all told?. The carbs are made in Spain, Italy, then USA (under licence) for some versions, and there are illegal Chinese knock-offs as well. Forest Gump and Chocklates reference applies.

The base jetting needed for 200 cube sixes varies mostly due to the subtle changes in the mirror image 52xx/62xx/65xx Holley Weber, then Weber Weber D series 32/38 and the Weber D series 38 in nine ways

Bad, cheap aftermarket parts not in spec don't help. If the needle and seat is faulty, the normal Pierce Carb tune process will have you looking in a black room for a black cat taht isn't even there.

They key parts are:-

1.floats
2. Needle and seat shut off size and quality (2.5 works best),
3. well tubes/emulsion tube variances ( huge variations, but what is there stock is often okay)
4. the kind of idle circuits influence Idle Air Corrector restriction size
5. the type of secondary operation they used( some secondary squirters are blind, some drilled, and they can vary a lot).
6. The amount of fuel pressure they like varied between the float type used. Normmaly 3 psi or more causes calibration issues, so a well functioning Mr Gasket or Holley or Malpasi fuel pressure regulator is needed, but Ford used a bleed back restrictor without a fuel pressue restriction in European 1972 to 1987 Weber 32/36 and 38 carbs.
7. The Positive Crank case Ventilation and the degree of baffeling sets them off for off idle sensitivity. Using certain ports is suggested, but creates tuning issues in practice. Ford Europe, Austalia and America used a baffled system on its engines, so often a 50 dollar valve is needed to eliminate problems that factory systems did away with.

eg mark_hagen's "Engine will not idle - Weber Carb Tunning problem"
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73925&p=568220#p568220

mark_hagen":2p0lfzb3 said:
Long time since my original post...found two things. 1) brass tee fitting on intake manifold for brake booster and vacuum canister had a hairline crack on the underside. 2) PCV valve letting too much air to pass through at idle. The store bout PCV valves have spring tensions set for a stock motor. After researching how to select a PCV valve for a modified engine, I purchased and installed a Wagner Adjustable PCV valve (Not cheap). This valve has two circuits; an idle circuit and an off-idle circuit. Once installed, turning the idle adjustment screw made the engine idle smooth out. No more idle circuit problems.

ETHANOL-06.jpg

Positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) is a great idea for any street engine if for no other reason than any fuel that vaporizes will be instantly drawn into the engine and burned and will not remain in the engine. This adjustable, billet aluminum PCV valve from M/E Wagner allows the user to adjust the amount of blow-by the engine will pull into the intake tract. But even if you don’t use this particular valve, a PCV valve is essential for any street engine. It also keeps the outside of the engine cleaner, too.

8. The Economiser (power jet) assembly in some carbs has a casting flashing fault that needs checking and correcting.
9. Lastly, the potential for dirt in the air bleeds and fuel system can give them funny tuning issues.

Get those things square away, Webers just need some individual trimming up or down form the box stock jetting.

Its a great carb, and rember, a Holley 2-bbl guy told you that.

You cant go wrong with the Weber, just gotta get some basic matters sorted.

Stovebolt, Pierce and other suppliers know all this stuff, and they'd rather have you use there stuff than deal with those 9 matters from people in the field.

Updated. I've delt with the Weber and Motorcraft 1-bbl engine idle issues with in line Ford Sixes since membership here in October 2001, 15 years, plus my own Weber experience (an extra 21 years with Ford Pinto 2 liter engines, and 1-bbl Motorcraft Belfast Autolite 1250 series carbs on Ford in line fours and some sixes, and that's 36 years. As a 10 year old, during school and summer break, I used to go "help" (read= frustrate!) the workshop techs at the Municpal Power Supply Company the Old Man worked at....he was kinda glad to get me out of his hair. Ford addressed ALL these problems in 1972 with the beed back revision for Weber 2-bbls, and further with 1980 European Union Emmisssion Control and 1980-1982 Swedish Emmision control engines...there isn't much I've not seen or experienced. They did Liquid Propane Gas conversions, so they had to idle and start of gasoline, so the stock systems had to be understood, with operation down to 12 degrees Farenheit. Then the furhter complication of really cheap propane gas on switchover, so these technciains had to really know there stuff. And it was all small Ford fours and sixes, with a few Windsor and Cleveland V8's from staff personal vehicles. We had Alan Ireland, a brillant Dunedin Ford trained service tech, who came on board in 1980, and he was awesome, and still does the same stuff as a 65 year old in my old home town. Ford serivice technicians are a special, if often corrosive breed, and, lemme tell ya, if Ford TSB says something obsure, its put into to practice, and understood.

All idle problems are not problems with the carb, but the whole engine combination. Weber 2-bbl Fords fours and sixes from 1969 to 1987 always idle well if you follow the rules. Not including emission controll, there are those 9 items above, plus another 7 general matters to check, and then you'll get a great idle in comparison to anyhing. About the only thing it lacks is a really good choke pulldown for quick, reliable warm up, but again, there is an electric choke 7 volt lie off the alternator and choke pulloff circuit that was used on the US 52XX/62XX/65XX and Swedish emissions versions from 1980 to 1987...its was all done by Ford of Europe as well as Ford USA.

Lastly, a Holley 2-bbl 2300 series 7448 "350 cfm 2-bbl" or 4412 "500 cfm 2-bbl" will be even better with respect to emissions and idle than a Weber 2-bbl, but it has its own set of issues. So too the 1-bbl Autolite 1100/1101/ Holley 1940/1946 and Carter RGB and YF/YFA's..They have there own 20 item wrap sheets. Nothing is perfect, but I've weighed in on every post almost for 13 of those 15 years here, and its all been answered by Ford systems used on US SOHC 2 and 2.3 Fords, and other Ford I4, I6 and V6 engines the world over.

Its kinda unacceptable to me that anyone should have to deal with not getting the help they ask for. So this is provided to help out.

"...Where? I'm not finding it…."
fleebay
Hadda keep my eyes open 4 several mo.s but it was there.
Some sm Canadian (used car co a guy rebuilds them) I assumed.

What took the most (grunt) wrk was runnin down the correct #s 4 ford.
The AMC is 50 ci smaller engine, forgot the Heep's. In fact 4got them all
but if you do the wrk (play on the net) you'll find out what's right (ford'70 - '74, 250).

Like most here I'l put it on & C if it needs a re-build. NO fine tune available - jets not
available, they are pressed into the alu body, butterfly opens @ bottom, weird throttle link BELOW that
BUT
lrg 1v, low profile - great 4 mah motor swap 46 yr ol bronk…

hopin 2 B up & runnin this winter, more answrs den...

Xctasy,
Thank you very much for this super-informative reply. I am still trying to absorb it all, seems like there are so many versions and knock offs no wonder people have varied issues.

AFAIK:
A,B,C No cam change, head port and stock exhaust manifold. This motor I was told was a stock runner from a mustang.

My carb Should be the Genuine Weber Carburetor "WEBER 32/36 DGV I purchased it off of ebay from webercarbsdirect
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121866424810

Here is a pic of the carb that I received. It appears to have a 160 and a 170 jet that I can see when I peer in the top.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP ... RUQm1Kamp3

6)I have a quality Holley Fuel pressure regulator hooked up right now with my autolite.
7) Thanks for the crankcase info.

The carb has been the most frustrating part about this car so far, hence my desire to replace it with this Weber. I dont mind tuning it for a while, but I hope to not spend an enormous amount of time on it.

Does anyone know how I tell if my distributor has mechanical advance in addition to the vacuum advance? I am still concerned about that.

Thanks!
Elwood/1964 Ford Falcon/200ci/c4

:unsure: it's pertty easy to tell by looking inside the distributor or If you can post a picture showing your distributor we can ID what distributor you have. But chances are if its from a 1960 to 1967 (1966 in Calif.) engine it will be the old LOD type without centrivical advance. Good luck :nod:

I know this is late in the post, but can't the autolite 1100 be modified so it doesn't use the spark control valve and be usable with the ds2?

Yes it can be done to an Autolite carb with some internal mod work, it would be considered an advanced project though. Good luck :nod:

Your Loadamatic carb can be converted to ported vacuum.
I will be glad to do it cost is $50.00 plus shipping.

Back