looking for a .060 piston and ring set

ledslinger29

Is there a good source you guys prefer? for a 170. I knocked a piece of off the bottom side of one of my pistons removing them, it may not be an issue, but it could cause a balance problem...

If you need to go .060 over or have an engine that already is and need to replace a piston b/c of broken skirt on a piston it might be time to look for a new motor. If it's just to get by, I'd buy one off of rock auto or get one in locally if you can find it and prep for a new engine or block. Might be a great time to put a rebuilt 200 in it's place. If rebuilding, sealed power makes a .060 set, 302np06

Your chances of getting (1)new piston that is even remotely close to the same weight as your other (5) pistons is also remote. I have seen one new piston like that from an unmatched set for other engines be as much as 50 grams heavier or lighter than the others from another set and this will definitely make an out of balance situation.

:unsure: I guess it all depends on how you plan to use it and if the blocks bores are still real nice then a new set of pistions might be worth it. Or you could also just run it as is, I have seen much worse in running engines without major problems. Yet if you plan to buzz it high and work it hard I would replace it for sure. If you can find a new or good used .060 over piston you could match its weight to that orginal one. Good luck :nod:

Just had the bores checked for straightness and and honed. they are in good shape. I might get a scale and measure the weight difference. I might get on this motor occasionally, but it's not gonna be a racer.

Hi, just my opinion but that tiny part of that area is not even supporting the wrist pin boss. I would'nt worry about it at all. If everything else looks good I would just assemble the motor and forget it. Good luck

I agree, that's not a critical area and was just likely a loose piece of casting flash that let loose. Nothing to be concerned about.

"...Nothing to be concerned about…"
unless it happened while running - need to get all the chips out,
hold piece up to the area its from & C how much is missing. But
I think U said this happened 'out of the engine'?

chad":38quih8a said:
"...Nothing to be concerned about…"

Still nothing to worry about, he said he knocked it out himself! Cast pistons are what they are, and this is actually pretty common to have happen because of the casting process or when they were machined. Good thing is that this set of pistons has the steel plate cast into the piston surrounding the pin bosses that reinforces that area substantially. That piece that broke out is in a common area to grind material on cast pistons when balancing anyway to remove weight, so he will be fine because it has no structural purpose. I would check the others though to see if they also have similar defects that you can rectify while its apart.

Thanks all for the input! I'm online shopping for rings (the most fun I've ever had shopping for rings :p ), I'm seeing a bunch of dimension listings for the different rings. Pardon the rookie question, but how do you decide which rings to go with?

bubba22349":2ms8pozi said:
I like using the Molly type rings, :nod:
almost no break in period for the cyl walls.

While U do the rings (if only change) will U do the timing chain or set? Any other improvements?
(I doubt the '69 - '71 250 set will fit the 170 but that would B an improvement along w/the timing advance).
DS II ignition?
Head's off, may B valves?
machining?

Many of the parts houses that I bough from in Sothern Calif. are not in business anymore like Speed-O-Motive, I don't know about AEW they may have moved to another state? I also had a great NAPA dealer / machine shop in cental Ca. That I bough many Master Engine kits and ReRing kits from its also closed now. But the oldest one I have bought from is still in business Egge Machine in Santa Fe Springs, Ca. They have Pistons and Rings and engine parts for the 170's sixes in sizes from Stand. To .080 over on Rings and up to .100 over on pistions, their prices are very reasonable.

https://egge.com/product/kits.php?actio ... ne=170+CID

There is another listing I found for Sealed Power Premium Molly rings on Rock Auto showing .060 over is available listing is for # E197K good ring set though their price seems a bit high to me.

http://www.rockauto.com/m/mobilecatalog.php?a=G-rings

Their links usally don't work when posted but I used the search function words
Make = Ford
Year = 1970
Model = Bronco
Engine = 170 CID
Group = Engine
Part = Piston Rings

There are likely many other sources with parts listings too. Good luck :nod:

Back