Help indentifying this Ford straight six...

Hello all,
In a "garage find' of old original Ford Mustang parts that I need to clean up and help price for an estate sale, I came across this engine in the corner of the garage covered up with old sheets and carpet. I can't find anything on the numbers on the one barrel intake. It looks like 9J/15 and C0-6090. The numbers or lettering on the block look like C4TE 6015-1. Ideas for identifying? He mostly has mustang parts laying around but did find some maverick parts as well. Please see picts.

Thanks for your help!
28jfypv.jpg

11mcls8.jpg

Determining Casting numbers of the Engine Block should be below the head where starter would be. The numbers should be @ 6" directly below the numbers shown on the intake runner pic'. Looks like an early 144 or 170 from the 3 freeze plugs and C0DE cylinder head numbers. Green block wasn't any stock color I'm aware of for early Ford, Mercury or Comet cars.

Other than intrinsic scrap price, there may be small worth for rebuilding or restoration to a 'local' for odd parts. I offered a similar long block on the forum with no takers...

have fun

rudy18d":24ox1euz said:
Hello all,
In a "garage find' of old original Ford Mustang parts that I need to clean up and help price for an estate sale, I came across this engine in the corner of the garage covered up with old sheets and carpet. I can't find anything on the numbers on the one barrel intake. It looks like 9J/15 and C0-6090. The numbers or lettering on the block look like C4TE 6015-1. Ideas for identifying? He mostly has mustang parts laying around but did find some maverick parts as well. Please see picts.

Thanks for your help!
28jfypv.jpg

11mcls8.jpg

From the date code on the head it was cast at the Ford engine foundry on September 15, 1959. The block code isn't enough to get to the actual month, day, and year it was cast so you need to also find the date code on the block for that. It looks like a metel tag with a screw head on each end and will be a number, letter, and one or two more numbers.
The basic casting / design number decodes as a 1964, and a truck engine block. My best guess from this information and the couple pictures is that this is an industrial engine, sitting next to that John Deere garden tractor. Good luck :nod: edited

Howdy Rudy:

And welcome to The Forum. Another FYI is that the valve cover is a late model, after 1970, because of the embossed "Powered By Ford" on it and the late style PCV hole. Looks like the best guesses are above. Hole this helps you figure it out.

Adios, David

CZLN6":9j210v3k said:
Howdy Rudy:

And welcome to The Forum. Another FYI is that the valve cover is a late model, after 1970, because of the embossed "Powered By Ford" on it and the late style PCV hole. Looks like the best guesses are above. Hole this helps you figure it out.

Adios, David

Hmmm, exact same VC was on my original build '69 M-Head 200 when I tore it apart (still using in on a '65 block, with '69 head)

We all know the VC is the easiest to swap out.

Let's start w/da block.
Can't tell w/the pic but may B no water pump so - can't count the bolts. W/the 2nd # given it may be a C-60s, 4 (yr) - 1964. Look on the passenger's side for (3) frost plugs (144ci or 170). (A 200ci would have 5 freeze plugs & 3 bolt H2O pump bolts). I don't think it's a 'low starter' (250ci) but the H2O pump (if there wuz 1) would B 4 bolt but 5 freeze plugs as well).

A 200 has 8 1/16 inch tall block, 250 is 2 inches taller (frm bottom of VC to top of oil pan).
So the 144 & 170 R hard to distinguish frm 1&other but different enuff frm 200/250. And 200 is easy to seperate frm 250.
W/o opening to measure boar/stroke, # mains or seein a vehicle it may have come frm close by....

The intake could also B swapped but leaves a clue. The bolt distance and hole dia should B measured. 9 J 15 (might B 4 bubs and David to ID but I'd say w/the green color 'industrial'?). However the '60 - '64 144s did have weird colors to me (yellow wuz 1)?

Thanks for the welcome to the forum and thanks to all that replied with such good information. I will post a few more pictures I have. I probably should have initially, I just didn't want to inundate everyone with the first post :) Sounding like this may end up being a larger than usual paperweight as Whitesboro Texas is not known for it's local antique Ford restorations. Although I did find a 1955 Ford Thunderbird there last year that is restored and in my garage now (y) (y)

There is no water pump on this engine but I am sure it's there somewhere, there were several laying on the ground around it. So many used parts laying around including that 318 John Deere tractor that was noticed in the post as well. Just another thing to get running for the sale.

I will be back at this location Wed. this week and can look closer for block numbers. In the meantime let me know if these other picts shed any more light on the ID.

Thanks again!

2h32ycj.jpg

o7118o.jpg

6xrlzm.jpg

:unsure: yes that gives a few more clues with these pictures showing a late style point distributor (1968-69) and valve cover. It's looking more like its an 170 short block. Next to that 318 JD :wow: nice they are great little tractors I have a 420 JD that have been fixing up and hunting for some attachments. Good luck :nod: edited

Scrape that horizontal flat area on the block in front of the distributor @ the corner-top of the block and see if you can find a "T" or a T in a circle stamped into the block. If you do it's a 170

The C4TE Block ID is different, the pic shows block cast only the short / small bellhouse casting ending well below top of block where block meets head. Latest / newest similar block was C5DE 200 - 7 main 200 with Only small casting bell pattern . No later 170, 200 or 250' small pattern only found.

o7118o.jpg

C5DE 200 Small Bell:

have fun

Econoline":3idjquz6 said:
Scrape that horizontal flat area on the block in front of the distributor @ the corner-top of the block and see if you can find a "T" or a T in a circle stamped into the block. If you do it's a 170
I see a C w/a + or t symbol on the intake… unusual to me...

That head looks more Sept. 59 than 69, nothing out of Detroit area would look like that, maybe Mex. or something.But why the Cleveland foundry symbol.
A 60 model could be made in 59. New models came out in Sept.

chad":1dtf28lv said:
Econoline":1dtf28lv said:
I see a C w/a + or t symbol on the intake… unusual to me...

Chad, that is the symbol of the ford Cleveland foundry.

Would that be a first year head design? The falcon six didn't debut until 61 right? That Cleveland mark is on my C7DE head but not on the C9DE or the D5DE heads I have. What does the T mean in the C4TE block? And why a 1 instead of an A or B or whatever at the end, C0TE-6015-1 vs C1DE-6015-A? Not sure what the C1DE 170 block is out of that replaced the 144 in my Econoline but it seams like it's always 'D' on the blocks and heads. All of this is outside of the stamped T in a circle that differentiates a 170 from a 144 tho.

early?
or
early industrial?

It has the C & T symbol Seth sez but on the intake…
(fun being a sleuth... or frustrating? it wuz the 1st, now it's the 2nd - 4 me).

lookit all the blank space & scarcity of #s. C where the 'screw head' is in the sequence on the intake.

" Hey! fella! look on the opposite side as da dizzy 4 da "block casting" numbahs'n tell us whad ya C."

" 'N how many freeze plugs too? "

Econoline":1fz8xj6p said:
Would that be a first year head design? The falcon six didn't debut until 61 right? That Cleveland mark is on my C7DE head but not on the C9DE or the D5DE heads I have. What does the T mean in the C4TE block? And why a 1 instead of an A or B or whatever at the end, C0TE-6015-1 vs C1DE-6015-A? Not sure what the C1DE 170 block is out of that replaced the 144 in my Econoline but it seams like it's always 'D' on the blocks and heads. All of this is outside of the stamped T in a circle that differentiates a 170 from a 144 tho.

The internet says that the falcon started selling Oct 8 59. I have a rough understand of the casting / engineering codes, but thats it. It could be the foreman said
dee and the worker heard tee. I no idea.

Head numbers 9J/15 and C0DE-6090.

C is for the decade 1960
0 is for the first year of the design so togeather with above equals 1960
Next is
Design Division the part was originally made for in this case is DE which is the Falcon Model
The part ID number 6090 is Ford's basic number used to ID a Cylinder Head.
The date code 9J15
J decodes as the month of Sept.
15, is for the day of the month.
Now is it for the year 1959 or 1969? I think it's an early head design though I have not seen a date code that went backwards from the design numbers decade. Yes the first Falcons were built and sold in late 1959 still it would seem that the head would need to have a B9 casting / design number for that to work. It's an interesting problem, being its a very early head design I would more inclined to agree with "drag-200stang" that the head was cast in 1959.

The OP said the block numbers look like C4TE-6015-1 and since there isn't a good picture right now of the casting. Assuming that these are correct the casting numbers or more correctly they are the Design numbers and would decode like this.

C is for the decade of 1960
4 is for the first year of the design so togeather with above equals 1964 but to know the real month, day, and year we still need the casting date code.
Next is the Design Division the part was originally made for in this case is TE this means this block was made for the Truck Engine Division.
The part number ID is 6015 this is Ford basic number used to ID an engine block.
Last is ID of a revision or improved part. Usually there is a Letter and a number after the parts ID number in this case a 1 this would mean the part was revised or improved one time after the original design.

bubba22349":293f4l7h said:
Head numbers 9J/15 and C0DE-6090.

C is for the decade 1960
0 is for the first year of the design so togeather with above equals 1960
Next is
Design Division the part was originally made for in this case is DE which is the Falcon Model
The part ID number 6090 is Ford's basic number used to ID a Cylinder Head.
The date code 9J15
J decodes as the month of Sept.
15, is for the day of the month.
Now is it for the year 1959 or 1969? I think it's an early head design though I have not seen a date code that went backwards from the design numbers decade. Yes the first Falcons were built in late 1959 still it would seem that the head would need to have B9 casting / design number for that to work. It's an interesting problem.

The OP said the block numbers look like C4TE-6015-1 and since there isn't a good picture right now of the casting. Assuming that these are correct the casting numbers or more correctly they are the Design numbers and would decode like this.

C is for the decade of 1960
4 is for the first year of the design so togeather with above equals 1964 but to know the real month, day, and year we still need the casting date code.
Next is the Design Division the part was originally made for in this case is TE this means this block was made for the Truck Engine Devision.
The part number ID is 6015 this is Ford basic number used to ID an engine block.
Last is ID f a revision or improved part. Usually the there is a Letter and a number after the parts ID number in this case a 1 this would mean the parts was revised or improved one time after the original design.

It seems like such archaic designs to be used for a 70 model truck, combine or thrasher, when even car 170s were upgraded a couple years earlier to duel pattern bells and 9" clutch. Also the road draft vent area was deleted. Intake and carbs went larger by then.

Back