Headers: single or dual exhaust

65 Mustang

Hello Everyone. Looking into headers for my 200 ci. I see they are made for both single as well as dual exhaust. Would prefer to go single exhaust to make things simpler. Does anyone know if there is that much difference in performance between single and dual exhaust headers. If the difference is noticeable, I'll put in extra effort and go dual. Thanks very much.

65 Mustang":2hrzm3jw said:
Hello Everyone. Looking into headers for my 200 ci. I see they are made for both single as well as dual exhaust. Would prefer to go single exhaust to make things simpler. Does anyone know if there is that much difference in performance between single and dual exhaust headers. If the difference is noticeable, I'll put in extra effort and go dual. Thanks very much.
performance wise, likely not much difference, however price wise, nothing currently beats the $190 dual outlet speed daddy header on eBay...

Howdy Again:

I'd go with the ebay Speed Daddy headers. Not a lot of info on them yet but they sure sound and look good. They are dual outlet but you can easily mate them with a two-into-one pipe. Either will make a nice difference on a street car with the upgrades you've been talking about. Add a 2" exhaust system and muffler and you'll have a system. IMHO adding a 2nd pipe and muffler for what you are talking about will just add expense and weight.

Keep us posted on your choices and your progress.

Adios, David

Thanks. Did not even think about the two-into-one adaptor. That's a great idea. Also, thanks for the heads up on those eBay headers. I was thinking Cliffford originally but I'll give them a look.

I have the ebay header, but yet to install it. This is very similar to, if not exactly the same as, the header that was sold on ClassicInlines. One of our members here has managed to procure the remaining CI stock and is now operating http://www.vintageinlines.com

I would highly recommend visiting VI and check out the exhaust solutions. Matt has the 2-to-1 adapters and the full system back. I've not installed mine yet, but I got the dual out Arvinode system. The pieces I got appear to be high quality and I can't wait to get them on. Hopefully I'll be able to get that done here before winter because I know I'm not going to want to wait for it come spring time!

65 Mustang":1d84xaok said:
Thanks. Did not even think about the two-into-one adaptor. That's a great idea. Also, thanks for the heads up on those eBay headers. I was thinking Cliffford originally but I'll give them a look.

Not sure you've done extensive research on these engines (again C Matt for a copy of "the Handbook" AND while waiting for purchase to arrive see - for free, the Classic Inlines archive Perry put in any Board Index page. Click on it for a huge amount of info) but there may still B a reason for gettin in touch w/Clifford. Many fitting the headers place (3 sm tack welds) an 'exhaust port divider" into the number 3 / 4 "siamesed port". The reading from the Performance Handbook &/or Classic Inlines will have more info on this...

Does anybody have a specific 2-1 adapter to use? Trying to do this as a weekend project with just the header to the adapter to the original single exhaust pipe out. May do the dual exhaust down the line sometime.

Again, talk 2 Matt…he wuz w/avinrod or 1 of them B4 starting Vintage.
He can supply SS, aluidizes steel, shapes, etc
Vintage Inlines dot com

Thanks. My copy of the Ford Falcon handbook just came in yesterday. Look forward to reading it more thoroughly this weekend. Didn't see any headers or adapters on vintage inline website. May have been looking in wrong area. I'll probably put in port divider when I do cylinder head work.

I don't have headers yet. Hopefully I can find a supplier at SEMA next week. I do have what's called a "Starter" kit. Dual or single exhaust, stainless or aluminized, and available in 1.75", 2.0" or 2.25". They were designed to fit the CI header, so will likely work with SD. Look in the "Exhaust" section toward the bottom.
As a side note, I'm now able to offer stock replacement systems with several muffler choices. So new for me that I don't have them on the site yet. They are also made by Waldron.
Matt

Can the 2-1 adaptor simply connect into the existing exhaust system (with some modification, of course), or does a new pipe size leading to the muffler need to be installed?

65 Mustang":l74dsfot said:
Can the 2-1 adaptor simply connect into the existing exhaust system (with some modification, of course), or does a new pipe size leading to the muffler need to be installed?
with mods, sure, obviously, it will need to be shortened, and welded to the 2-1 adapter, may need bent, etc... any muffler shop should be able to take care of it (including the 2-1)

Matt have you considered looking into Pacemaker headers (Australia) to be a distributor? They have some nice looking long tube headers on their website maybe they can comp you a sample or two to see how they fit Mustangs, Falcons etc over here.

Actually they might be interested insetting up a dist here for other applications/makes like Mopar, GM...

Hooker headers are full length & are dual outlet. They are pricy, but the quality & a 1 1/2" equal primary pipes are the best.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hok-6601-1hkr
DSC_0007.jpg

I like the long tube Hooker but having a hard time finding #6602 for my 250. I have the #6601 but they won't fit the 250.

Thanks for all info. Headers look great WSA. I always read about the additional noise output of headers. Are they obnoxiously loud? Is a tuning of the exhaust required to bring noise level under control? Also, generally speaking, what affect do headers have on the engines low end torque? Hopefully an improvement. I don't want to sacrifice any low end torque for an improvement at the higher end. I'm looking to make somewhat modest improvements to a street car not build a race engine. Thanks.

long tube R better 4 low rev tq BUT
all headers on these Falcon motors only change output a few % pts.

Shorties (most the avail. supply) R 4 HP (sorta general understanding... v long tubes).

Most guys here go 4 da Speed Daddy's : ebay - fits 258 vehicles….

Ok. Thanks for reply chad. Am I correct in saying then that the hooker headers are considered long tube headers (better for low end torque) and the Speed Daddy are shorties?

The speed daddy ones are kind of in the middle of long tube and shorty's. I really wish that the Pacemaker ones were easily available here in the US. Their long tube headers are just sweet lookin

Back