Choice to make

Angelking

I have a choice(good to have choices) between a mid sixties 200 out of a Mustang or a 300 out of a 70's Bronco........... They are the same price and condition and in the same area code. Which would you choose and why? Either one I get is going into a 1923 Track Roadster backed up with a Ford toploader 3-speed and 8 inch Ford rear end.

Thanks

AK

If U want the 300 - check the block castings against the registry.
I'm not sayin the 300 isn't a 4.9 but none came in the " '70s " bronk as OE.
(May B it's an '80s bronk - the lill bigger body - 2nd generation?).

For a "racer" I would say a 200. I C the 250 & 300 as tq motors but they ARE raced..
Also the guys round here on the track use a 9 inch rear (in ford & chebby)
but the 8's good too (esp if already at hand).
Keep talkin..

chad":b8isogol said:
If U want the 300 - check the block castings against the registry.
I'm not sayin the 300 isn't a 4.9 but none came in the " '70s " bronk as OE.
(May B it's an '80s bronk - the lill bigger body - 2nd generation?).

For a "racer" I would say a 200. I C the 250 & 300 as tq motors but they ARE raced..
Also the guys round here on the track use a 9 inch rear (in ford & chebby)
but the 8's good too (esp if already at hand).
Keep talkin..

I was kinda thinkin' the same thing with the 200..... I already have a 8 inch rear end......

Thank you for the info...

AK

Angelking":3ksqqtix said:
I have a choice(good to have choices) between a mid sixties 200 out of a Mustang or a 300 out of a 70's Bronco........... They are the same price and condition and in the same area code. Which would you choose and why? Either one I get is going into a 1923 Track Roadster backed up with a Ford toploader 3-speed and 8 inch Ford rear end.

Thanks

AK

:unsure: in a light weight 23 Track T that's going to be a tough call, there are some good advantages too both of these engines, I like them both. Have lately been thinking of building another T bucket and was planing on going with a 300 six, it would be more of a Drag Racer though.

The advantage of the 200 is its lighter weight so it could be a more balanced package in a shorter wheel base car and with a short wheel base the car reacts faster also. With the 300 you may need to build the chassis a bit longer and slide the engine back more to the rear. I have not done any of the calculations lately but for a good handling street car the closer you can get to a 50 / 50 weight balance the better it will be. Good luck sounds like it's going to be a fun project. :nod:

The 200 would definitely be a smaller lighter package if you're trying to keep things light - if you're trying to get a lot of horsepower, a 300 would be easier to modify than the 200. I'm partial to the 200 myself, lol.

The Ford 8" will support all the power you can make with either of those engines and it's lighter than the 9". Sounds like a fun project - keep us updated!

again:
ck 4 # of:
H2O pump bolts
&
freeze plugs.
C if U can get the block/head casting #s so U know the yr. of manufacture.
The more U know, the better you'll feel AFTER (& during) the sale.
C if it will tun over (even w/a wrench).
GLWtP !

Howdy Ak and all:

I would need a little more info to be able to offer a better choice. Like what is your intended use? street rod? Show queen? Rat rod? Dirt tracker? Hood/no hood?

Are you familiar/experienced with either engine?

Either engine offers a high coolness factor with multi carbs and side exhaust pipes. The differences in size and weight may matter as well as fitting the transmission to it. Other than that either can be built to meet the need. FYI- multi carb choices may be more and a bit easier with a 300, because of a bolt on intake manifold.

Are you building to comply with a racing association? or your own thoughts? Do you have a plan or preferences or ideas on what you will want for carbs? Exhaust? Again, either engine can be built to meet your goal but depending on your goal one may be favored.

Anyway, it sounds like a cool project. Keep us up to date with your choices and progress.

Adios, David

CZLN6":3sap4trr said:
Howdy Ak and all:

I would need a little more info to be able to offer a better choice. Like what is your intended use? street rod? Show queen? Rat rod? Dirt tracker? Hood/no hood?

Are you familiar/experienced with either engine?

Either engine offers a high coolness factor with multi carbs and side exhaust pipes. The differences in size and weight may matter as well as fitting the transmission to it. Other than that either can be built to meet the need. FYI- multi carb choices may be more and a bit easier with a 300, because of a bolt on intake manifold.

Are you building to comply with a racing association? or your own thoughts? Do you have a plan or preferences or ideas on what you will want for carbs? Exhaust? Again, either engine can be built to meet your goal but depending on your goal one may be favored.

Anyway, it sounds like a cool project. Keep us up to date with your choices and progress.

Adios, David

I found a 300 engine yesterday that was on ebay that did not sell but have worked out a deal with the owner.

Answering your questions in order:

It is intended to be used in a replica dirt track roadster from the 30's.
The car will be streetable
It will have a hood.
Hood side panels from a '37 Ford.
Have rebuilt a 289 many years ago and several Harley engines but never an inline 6 cylinder
It will be mated to a 3 -speed manual Transmission
Will start out with stock carburetor (whatever is on it now, haven't seen the engine in person yet) In the future will adapt 2 SU carbs.
My own thought, however deranged they may be..... :)
Exhaust is going to be 6 into 1 with a long pipe down the side of the body.

Hope this helps
AK

2 side draft carbs will B great to see.
Interested in how the intake will look (either the efi or n/a).
I'll hang in till U get there!

Howdy Ak:

Super goal. I love the old dirt track Ts. The side drafts will have a high coolness factor and will fit inside the hood. The reason dirt trackers had hoods was to help keep the dirt out. The 6 into 1 exhaust pipe will be a killer. SUPER!!

IF you have a chassis take some measurements of it and the 300, height and length, you are considering. IF they fit together and if it can take the extra weight, go for it. 300s have some aftermarket intake manifolds that will make carb mounting a little easier. It will appear taller in a track T, kinda like the track Ts with a GMC inline. But fitting it inside a hood may be a challenge. A 200 will be a tighter package similar to the trackers with old flathead V8-60s and Offys.

Do you have a chassis?

Adios, David

CZLN6":3rtn3rux said:
Howdy Ak:

Super goal. I love the old dirt track Ts. The side drafts will have a high coolness factor and will fit inside the hood. The reason dirt trackers had hoods was to help keep the dirt out. The 6 into 1 exhaust pipe will be a killer. SUPER!!

IF you have a chassis take some measurements of it and the 300, height and length, you are considering. IF they fit together and if it can take the extra weight, go for it. 300s have some aftermarket intake manifolds that will make carb mounting a little easier. It will appear taller in a track T, kinda like the track Ts with a GMC inline. But fitting it inside a hood may be a challenge. A 200 will be a tighter package similar to the trackers with old flathead V8-60s and Offys.

Do you have a chassis?

Adios, David

I have a Model A frame that. I am going to box the rails for more strength. Any idea how much a 200 weighs?

THanks

AK

I think my 250 "is less than 450" (not real sure on the 3.3 ~ but I'm quickest on da draw). :eek:
Y not go to the 4th from the top horizontal line above (if not there 4 sompin else earlier) click on the CI archive'n look it up there. If U don't find it I'd B surprised, even more so if U didn't find other info U needed!!!
Got the "Handbook"? No?, Matt at vintage inlines dot com (who 'took over' after CI stopped) has it for abt $20- 25. While waitin 4 delivery U can peruse the above ~
"...2 side draft carbs will B great to see.
Interested in how the intake will look (either the efi or n/a).
I'll hang in till U get there!…"
w/patients (Rome wuz NOT built ina day!)

(Lesss C if some 1 w/a more accurate weight figure shows up soon)

Back