Headers

Hey man I just put the Vintageinline dual out header on my 69 250 mustang.
Here is what you need to know:

Dual out header will not allow for use of the stock starter.

Mini starter will work, but you need to put a heat shield around the starter.

I would recommend getting an exhaust shop to install the exhaust for you after going with the header, unless you have a way to bend the pipes. I installed mine and the pipes hug the frame rail and they do rattle some. I will be going to get my exhaust massaged soon.

I don't know if there is any issues with not having the port devider installed and running the header, but I like mine honestly.

Are you installing the exhaust yourself?

cmm24601":28rhiy77 said:
Has anyone replaced their manifold with headers?

My manifold is rusted and broken in one spot. Thinking about replacing it with this
http://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake- ... /p/EXHD11/

Is it worth it? How difficult is it to readjust the engine?

Yes it's worth it if you plan on also doing some other mods to your engine. It's fairly easy to readjust the engines tune after install and because the exhaust system works better the engine may need to have the carb rejetted up a size or two from stock. You could also place an add in the forums wanted section or look in the small six for sale section for someone selling a good used exhaust manafold if you prefer to keep the stock type parts. Good luck :nod:

2 OE starter ideas 4 Matt's headers (@ 1/2 the price of CJPoney's headers & w/extra prts):

* 3.8 1980s bent6 stang
* SBF bent8 PMGR starter

Don't 4get, many of us also install the exh. port divider when goin 'pipes'.

OK. So this is actually headers going to a single exhaust. Would I still need to replace the starter?

cmm24601":1md9sob2 said:
OK. So this is actually headers going to a single exhaust. Would I still need to replace the starter?
Cant say, most of these headers are designed for the 200 engine, with high mount starter, the low mount 200s and 250s can have issues...

If you have the money & have plenty of ground clearance, Hooker full length headers are the way to go. The full length helps low & midrange torque. They are pricy though.
DSC_0007.jpg

I believe Summit sells then.

I'm just going to make the suggestion that perhaps going with the dual outlet header now might be a good idea if you plan on doing other upgrades in the future. Just wye the outlets back together and connect to your single exhaust.

Here are some more links to what this thread has mentioned...
VintageInlines Dual-Out Header

Links to Hookers:
HOK-6601HKR - Bare Steel
HOK-6601-1HRK - Ceramic Coated

I've been thinking about the Hookers attached to the VI Arvinodes. I wonder if Matt can supply Hookers and work with Waldrons to kit it for plug and play ( like they do for the VI Dual Out header).
WAE-200-ADA-2 Mustang Arvinode Aluminized Dual Exhaust

Back