170 turbo draw threw build

shawnkat

Hey . I'm building a draw threw turbo set up on a 170. I'm using a turbo from a 4bt Cummins. I have it running doing some fine tuning . Does anyone know what the best setting for the timing should be and should I worry about the vaccum advance. I'm concerned about a lean condition . I have not yet installed a afr gauge . Thanks for any response.

nOT A GOOD IDEA TO USE A DIESEL turbo which would be a blow through for a draw through set up. It leads to fuel in the oil and oil in the fuel and early engine destruction. Even if you fida a draw through turbo with the proper seals on the shaft the seals wear out quickly because there are no seals that will withstand the RPMS a turbo will run. I was a design engineer for Schwitzer advance turbo design. They invented and had the first patents on carbon seals. We even turned down ford who who wanted to do the same as you we didnt want to deal with the warranty issues. Look up info on the early Buicks T types. One fried had an eNGINES rebuilt 3 times in one year because the seals went bad and but head mechanic didnt know about the seals.

we have an extensive turbo forum here on this site.
Wanna check it out? Lots of help there...

Good idea to move over to the Turbo Forum for more complete discussion . Turbo timing and fuel concerns are always in discussion. With turbo mods' an AFR gauge will prevent a lot of wasted time and often the engine.

Nothing wrong performance-wise with draw-thru or carb'd setups but reliable tuning and maintenance/service issues never let early Forced Induction systems across general consumer market. Draw-Thru carb'd turbo designs were the building blocks of todays widespread turbo enthusiasm. MacInnes, Ak Miller etc made performance leaps with then available turbos, carbs and related hardware. Many, many hours of fun are available building forced induction engine, fuel and ignition systems for the 'small block six'... .

hav fun

turbo draw-thru mockup on my Falcon 63/170 wagon

my draw-thru Mav'/250

Thank you all for the input. It's good to hear from people who have interest in this. My goal is to build a 300 but does anyone knows if it will fit in a 68 falcon 4 door. If I could I would build a blow threw style with an air to air system . Thanks again for any info.

Back