Exhaust sound

Shelly6

Hello! just starting some work on a tired old girl. 300,000 never really been touched. Original family owner. Exhaust won't be first but that is my question today:

I don't want to pretend to be a V8. When I'm done I want the car to sound like the genuine sports car that it is. Think of a continuum: Classic American V8 muscle on the left, classic European six pot sports car on the right. I want to lean strong toward the right. Any suggestions on how to get there?

will have a 79 200 head with decent work done to liven it up
will have DS II or Pertronix
will likely have a 2V Carter or similar
will have headers

I've heard true duel exhaust with CI headers, 2 inch pipes and glass packs. Sounds fantastic.... but not for this car. Where should I start?

Thanks in advance!

Look at replacement mufflers for BMW, Mercedes or any European make with an inline six.

I had a Magnaflow 40.
2" pipe straight out the back with a turn down exhaust tip. The standard pipe is 1.75" but I had headers with 2" out. The standard I6 muffler mounts transverse across the top of the differential with in and out in the same end of the can. You can get a less restrictive exhaust if you use the standard V8 pipe straight out the back with a hump over the rear axle. The pipe ended a little in front of the rear valence and I got the exhaust smell in the trunk and eventually in the cab. the 6" extension opened behind the bumper and solved the problem.

People say the MF 40 drones at speed. That was true with mine, but it didn't start until over 80 MPH so not a problem. I really enjoyed the rumbly, low sound, especially on acceleration. I go the work done at Midas. They had the pipes and muffler. AND they had a pipe stretcher to open the inlet of the exhaust pipe to match the outlet of the header.

I can't give U a difinitive answer. One - because it is a very subjective 'experience'. Two - cuz I don't have alot of knowledge.
I CAN identify with U however.
There's just that narrow range of what U seek in an exhaust burble (my wrd 4 what I seek)
So… a suggestion or 2.
If U ever hear what U want, go directly up to the driver and ask. Don't B shy, many are happy w/their system & proud 2 respond.
In my experience (fiats, MGs, and several alfas back in the day & had the money & the vehicles as fairly new - 1960s) they used resonaters and mufflers. I C some modern USA cars returning to resonaters. Some of the systems in those 'sports cars' were from the Abarth co. Kinda interesting - black crinkle paint jobs… but sounded (I guess) like what U mention. The co is still around I believe. W/the wonder of the Net U should be able to do some research. I can't rely on an audio file to gague how it sounds tho (digital, computer speakers, etc).
There's some good threads on here (same forum, no need 2 use the search function for our whole site) we've gone over it many times in this small falcon forum.
Keep in touch...

Tuning for sound is very subjective, but to my ears the sweetest noises come from old Jags, Astons, and some BMW inlines. I think the key is to keep the pipes down to a reasonable size.

If you look at a classic early XKE, for example, the stock exhaust pipes are only 1 7/8" in diameter. True duals with a straight thru muffler in the middle and a resonator in the rear. Those little pipes supported 265hp in the stock engine.

If you go with 2 1/4 or 2 1/2" pipes the sound gets deeper and different. I think it loses that edge that a little six sounds like. Kind of like the difference between a Cornet and a Tuba. Same notes, but different sound.

On a 200, I like the 1 7/8" or 2" pipes with a pair of perforated glasspacks in each branch. You can try it with a single muffler, but to me it sounds raspy (I'm getting old; I like the quieter side now).

@ that narrow (2 inch or below) how bout the flow (engine performance), Jack?
I've no idea…
Thnx ~

The early 60's Jaguar 3.8 liter (235ci) engines had a factory rating of 265 hp on those little dual pipes. The stock exhaust pipes on the fabled 330hp inline six M3 were only 2" in diameter.

You really don't need big exhaust for most applications as long as there are no major kinks or restrictions.

I have the CI dual out header with 2" pipes back to Magnaflow mufflers ending in GT trumpets. A number of people mistake the sound for a V8 (or at least are surprised to look under the hood and find a 6 cyl). To my ear though, it sounds a lot more like a 6cyl Jaguar when I "get on it."

You can hear the result here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwoxE4JZaeE There's a music soundtrack, but about halfway through the video the engine noise (which was recorded from behind the car) is featured.

Also, if you go to the September 19th 2013 post on my tumblr site (http://www.just-a-six.tumblr.com), you'll see the H-pipe and configuration of the mufflers. Other than really liking the GT trumpets, the most fun I've had with the exhaust was at the 50th anniversary celebration in Charlotte. My dad and I went to an event and drove by a group of fellows who gave us some thumbs up and said "that sounds goooood!"

When I had my 1981 Capri with the 200 engine, I had the muffler removed and had straight pipe from the cat. to the back of the car. On the back I put one of these on.Capture.JPG Certainly gives the sports car tone.

Were U happy w/it?
I thought that wuz defined as 'raspy' in the exhaust note nomenclature?
Is it italian? what company?

Thank you ~

Verilux,

Damn your car looks and sounds nice! That's close to what I'm after. As close as I've come so far. What you should do is the same as they did in the link below. Everyone on this site would love to hear your car filmed like this one is at the 3:35 and 4:45 time marks!! I know I would!

https://youtu.be/2OlH6K46h4Y

I'll have to figure out how to use my cell phone to take a video (actually, I can take the video but the file always ends up too large to post on YouTube). Be sure to post when you choose a direction to go on your own exhaust!

I love the window tint in the video you linked! I've always debated whether tinted windows would look good on a classic Mustang, but haven't seen any I liked- until that video!

I need to do a different video anyway- because we somehow didn't manage to get the trumpets in the video (and they're one of my favorite features).
tumblr_o6cpxiiair1sgxuf1o2_1280.jpg

chad":veflu5dg said:
Were U happy w/it?
I thought that wuz defined as 'raspy' in the exhaust note nomenclature?
Is it italian? what company?

Yes I was happy with it as It did not have any drone to it.
Raspy?? you could call it that.
If you google "Monza exhaust tip" you will find it.
I think Pacesetter is another name for those tips.

monza & pace setter, I remember that !, so yes! yes, thank you for that.

Not the definitive description of 'raspy'? Plez explain…
(y)

Do U know the design/construction style?
("turbo", correct? no "2 chambered"? etc)

I have a 2 barrel Weber 32/36 on my 200 with CI headers, 2.25" single exhaust pipe and a flowmaster 40.

I can confirm there is a drone. I seem to hit it cruising through about 20mph and then it disappears until i get up to around 65 or so. Seems to be throttle dependent - I can let off and it'll go away immediately.

Truth be told - it's too loud for me, especially at highway speeds. (Maybe I'm too old? :LOL: ) It's definitely coming from the back end. I put up a plywood barrier between the back seat and trunk area. Didn't help much. Even added some knock off Dynamat. Not much change. It's not the normal operating during idle or light cruise, but that serious drone at mid-throttle that is annoying the heck out of me.

I've had several people tell me they like the sound - unprompted I've had co-workers say it has "serious rumble" and sounds like a "raped ape". "Thought that was a V8!"... so... it's very personal and what you're after.

I'd seriously like to knock the volume down, but as I invested $500 for install, plus $250(?) for the headers... it stings. Kicking around the idea of installing a Monza type exhaust tip hoping it would just knock it down just enough. I guess I've gone this far, why not another $100... just wish I knew what to expect it to do.

OP: to sound like the genuine sports car that it is

they used resonators and mufflers. I C some modern USA cars returning to resonators.

PC monzas: Just from pacesetter (1 model):
‘This system replaces the stock rear muffler section only and fits 1963-74 Austin Healy Sprite and 1964-69 MG Midget.’

:unsure:

I believe they’re ‘turbo’ ie the stamped, semetric holed, tube in the middle, non-filled, straight through style.
Wonder what's inside the resonators?

chad":2qin3eyn said:
Not the definitive description of 'raspy'? Plez explain…

Well, it certainly changes the tone in the exhaust as the tip is a straight-thru design.
You can see it in this picture.
Capture.JPG

Back