autolite 1100 jet for 264/264 cam initial setup?

westu37

Hello all,

I have a 1967 Mustang 200 with C4 automatic that I'm trying to get set up for initial starting/ breaking in the cam.

I'm trying to get some feedback from people that are using the 1100 with a hotter tan stock cam in their 200. I have a stock-ish rebuld of a frankenstein set of parts. The engine has a 66 block, 68 head( rebuilt professionally with hardened exhaust seats, new valve guides, etc.) and 69 autolite 1100/ distributor with centrifugal and vacuum advance(and retard). The 1100 has a 50f jet currently.

The cam is a Clay Smith 264/264@110LSA

The exhaust i a 69 log manifold with the 2" exit and a 2" pipe to the firewall. ( then a reducer to the stock 1967 Mustang exhaust system)

I've searched the forum and have seen jet sizes all over, but all seem to be larger than .050
I live in NJ but I'm going to drive this car to MO and TN in May, so I want to set the car up for Hiway cruising and generally higher altitude (not near sea level) driving.

I'm thinking a .067 to maybe a .072 jet

The 69 1100 I beleive has a 1.1" venturi- I have to work with what I have.

Wes

westu37":2jyu81yc said:
I'm thinking a .067 to maybe a .072 jet

The 69 1100 I beleive has a 1.1" venturi- I have to work with what I have.

Wes

Yep.

The CA spec 67 had a 62F with that years thermocator. They are 0.03" bigger when so equiped. Try drilling the main jet out to a size .067, order a 67F jet from Mikes Carbs or GoFish.

http://www.cometcentral.com/tech/hm6/page1.html

Enriching Carburetor Air/Fuel Ratio
Our first run on the dyno gave us a rear wheel rating of 65 horsepower at 4000 rpm. The air-fuel ratio meter read 14:1, from past experience; this had proven to be quite lean on our particular meter, so we immediately decided the first step would be to enrich the mixture slightly for a little better horsepower reading. The standard jet was found to be 62F, so we decided to enlarge the jet size to 63.5. Our second run on the dyno brought the air-fuel ratio to 13.4:1 and netted us a reading of 71 horsepower at the rear wheels (which proved to us we were headed in the right direction).
The next step was to ascertain if we had gone far enough, so we decided to drill the main jet out to a size .067. This produced a further increase to 75 horsepower at the rear wheels with an air-fuel ratio of 12.5:1. So as not to confuse the issue, I should state that my selection would be the .065 jet size for all-around usage where one would seek horsepower and good economy simultaneously.

http://www.cometcentral.com/tech/hm6/page2.html

Gain of 11 Horsepower

At this stage, our little six-banger was producing 76 horsepower at the rear wheels, and the only expenses incurred were drilling the main jet and removing the air cleaner. So our gain from 65 to 76 horsepower had been extremely economical. For the next changes, we had to dip into the tiII.....

Installing 240 Cu. In. Carburetor

The thought then occurred that we could use a larger carburetor to great advantage. Nestled as it is in a very low hood compartment, this becomes somewhat of a problem since the carburetor has to be extremely small to allow room enough for an ample-sized air cleaner. We found The solution at our local Ford dealer parts bin in the form of a carburetor from The 240 cubic inch six cylinder Ford engine. This carburetor gave us a throttle bore diameter of 1.687 with a venturi of 1.290. The standard unit had a throttle bore of 1.437 and a venturi of 1.100.

Howdy Wes:

And welcome to The Forum. Yes, it is that good.

Your project sounds like a nice one. On the '69 1100, yes, it is downsized on CFM capacity from '67 and earlier 1100s- From 185 cfm to 150 CFM. The smaller capacity carb and distributor were FoMoCo's first steps to move toward EPA requirements (and taller gearing to help fleet MPG). So the number 50 jet may well be the correct one for that year. And, on start-up it may not matter alot with rpms being no more than 2,000. Where you would notice it is at full power/wide open throttle.

Did you rebuild the block also? If so, that will generate a little more heat on start-up and break-in so a bigger main jet may be helpful. Based on Ectasy's posts a number 65 may be better. But, know that that is a pretty big jump.

Now, some questions. Did you have the head milled to compensate for a thicker head gasket? Your cam will favor a higher rpm range than your carb can deliver. Do you have carb upgrade plans in the future? What rear gear ratio is in the car?

You did say that your plans are to use this car as a highway cruiser. Your cam choice would prefer more compression, 9:1 to 9.5:1, and/or lower rear gear ratio.

I like your project. Keep us posted on your progress.

Adios, David

I am still piecing the block together, but it barely makes it with a stock size refresh of bearings and piston rings. (It all started with finding a burnt valve and a scored cam lobe....) I am not sure of the shave on the head but the machine shop did a thin cut on the head, maybe .001-.003? I plan on using the head gasket with the fel-pro full gasket set I got.

I'm not too concerned to get the most compression, but I'm looking to make the engine peppy for back roads while cruising and decent mpg at 65+ driving.

I do plan on upgrading the carb, distributor and entire exhaust system at a later date.

So I'll keep looking for more info, but it seems that a .65-.67 jet should be ok for getting the engine ready for a long road trip. ( from NJ to MO, and MO to TN this May.

Wes

I would step up slowly. It's easier to go up than back down. Like David said, it's big jump from .050" to .067". Although that does seem like a 170 size, I think that's what my 170 had in it and I went to .052 or .055 iirc to account for ethanol fuel, stock old and tired motor. I'm going to check that.

Good advice all. (y)

Pretty much everyone here's got you in ball park, so well done.

westu37, What state are ya in?

if you are in one of the 33 I/M Inspection/Maintenance emission States, you can do a one point check at load on the test machine, and they'll give ya info so you'll know.

Yeah, I'm with all that conservative change stuff, but past precedence, and a LOT of it says Go Ritchie Ritch. You can dial it back with a 65F later if you have to.

Lean pinking is not aways noticable, and the Clay Smith cam is a faIrly intense cam for just a 1-BBL. Later on, you can dial it in closer.

Evidence...

http://www.econoline.org/carburetor.php?s=replaced_by
50 is the 1963 hi altitude Econoline Falcon 144 jet, before they started stamping them with F's and I think they had already changed from the Holley thread. Not a 170 jet, but a too lean 144 jet. Wouldn't use it even to redrill.

Point 1 is that a 50 is a wrong jet, its an above sea level 144 jet, bad option for what you are planning on doing with your 200. I think we agree if we look at the site above.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/90881 ... stion.html
67F was Ak Millers jet size for the 1.290 C7 AZ 9510-AA manual Autolie 1101. Factory selection for that carb was 69F/67F/65F steps at altitudes. In his two Hot Rod articles, he never changed it from the size he whent to in his 1.10. That size ended up fueling 76 to 100 rear wheel hp, which ended up being 11 to 35 hp increase with other periferals (later on, headers, cam, valve spring work).

So right away, a 67F in a 1.100 without a cam gave 11 more rear wheel hp more.

Ak drilled the 62F jet to get a 67 thou jet size, and a drilled to 67 thou jet won't flow as well as a factory 67F jet, as they have a chamfer, surface prep, and controll flow rate testing. Ak knew that, so suggested a 65F.

So Point 2, I'm with David CZLN6. That sounds prudent.

Back ground to jets from that article. A thermactor sometimes requires about 8% more jet flow, 3 sizes up in some cases, but not all, because air is being added. Ak said nominal Jet sizes are usually .003 richer on such units, thats means an 0.067 "67F" should become an 0.070 "70F" jet size. So you can see how the fiddling can go. The Econoline site doesn't corroborate that, jets sizes go up one call number with 240 and 200's with thermactor.

What I'm saying, is it aint 1967....

Thing is, modern unleaded Oxygenated fuels (with added Benzene, Tolulene, both thinners and light aromatic hydrocarbons) lean the engine off, so richening it is even more of a positive idea. Stoichometeric ratio swings from 14.7 to 15.1 with new gasoline blends, so you'd be advised to get jets that flow 3% more fuel to aid richness, a jet size just for a start. 66F. Ak's car eventully went to Hi Test gas.

Point 3, In 1967, emissions, fuel type was a beneficial small change, but performance jetting changes due to cams are often HUGE if the engine is larley stock.

So flip forward to a cammed up, modern fueled but fairly stock 200 I6

A cam like that means you need more jet. JackFish runs, IIRC, a 65H in his 78 Fairmont Wagon, a 1.30" Holley 1946 with that cam up from 61H stock, up 3 jet sizes.

An Ford xxF jet is always 4 call size steps below an Holley xxH jet in the Holley jet sizes from 40 to 71. Above that, the Ford xxF jets are way smaller in number, and very different.

Point 4. Based on all this, at the very least, you wanna step it up to a larger than 65F for safety a heck of a lot more than just what Ak suggested for what was a non cammed up 200 in the first stages.

I ran a 71H jet in my initally stock cammed 1981 3.3 with 1.30" 1946c Holley on High aromatics gasoline., a 67F on a 1.10 isn't too much.

Q. How much horsepower do two 50F jets make on a 1966 C code 289 Mustang 2-BBL 1.14 carb?

A 130 rwhp.

Divide it in half, you get just 65 rwhp, which is way below the required results of a cam upgraded I6. 289/2= 144 1-bbl jetting.

It'll lean out like this graph

428434d1428794088-autolite-2100-jet-sizes-jet-size.jpg

Each 2 decrease in jet size, i.e. from 51 to 49, will raise your cruise AFR by a full 1.0. Main jets have no effect at idle and not much in the transition to cruise. For our {289 C code 66 Mustang} coupe with a 2.80 rear, it takes 50 MPH to reach 'cruise' where the AFR becomes nearly constant with speed.

What you have to move to is like THINKING you have a 2-bbl 400 Ford V8... divided in half...a 1-bbl 200!.

So before I recomended 67F, I asked myself,

Q. "When does one add two 67F jets to an normal 56F jetted 1.21 351W, 351C, 351M, or 400 Ford?"

A. "When just upgrading the camshaft to a 265 at lash/ 215 at 50 thou and getting a better timing chain gear set".......stock cams on those, like our 200's, were just were 256 degrees with about 190 at 50 thou with more on the exhaust on some versions; like the I6, they have a really poor gear set which retards and scatters the timing with age.

but when cammed up with something like your specs, they really need much more jetting, and 67F's on that engine aren't too much even with stock intake, carb, and exhaust manifolds.

Same with yours. Anyway, your car, your cam, youre on the right track. 72F is too big, 65F too small, 67F, ball park.

Best advice?

Wide band O2 sensors which give you air fuel ratios are just fine if you have the time and money, but auto engineers went to C02 readings many years ago to simplify it, and the black CO to AIR fuel ratio in terchange is the easiest system to tune a jet to if the cars under load.

These are the is the graphs...
Toyotas later graph

Black line for CO on the right axis
airfuel.jpg

Crytons graph is the blue line for CO
airfuelratio5big.GIF

At 15.1 to 13:1, CO % via the sniffer test is VERY accurate as it drops like a fly in the frost....

Soooo

You could just drill the jet like Ak did, check your fuel air under 25 mph load at an I/M test station, and stop drilling when you get to a %co under load of about 2%, which is a about 13.8 parts or air to one of fuel. 14.7 or 15.1 (..75 to 0.60% CO) is too lean under load for our cars. 4.5 to 5% CO is ideal wide open throttle 12.5:1 one.

This is how we tuned our old propane vehciles for safety, although that was done by allen key and screw, not jet change

and its how Ak Miller suggested it be done in the Impco propane Tech Service Bulletins from the late 70's to early 80's.

Modern ways aren't always the easiest. Every garage has access to tuning gear, rather than pay for individual equipment, you use the I/.M stuff

Xtacy,

Thanks for the huge amount of info!

I'm in NJ. The S/I tailpipe program has been dropped recently, and I work at a garage, but I don't have easy access to a gas analyzer. (the state disabled it on the inspection machine in the private facilities and no longer use them in the state run inspection lanes)

The donor 66 engine I have has an 1100 that I checked out. The autolite on the 66 is for a manual trans (no secondary accel. pump) and has been in the elements for a long time-all parts are frozen in place. I popped the two haves apart and found a 69F jet in this one.

To all: I should be ok to go with the 69F with all if the input you guys say, it might be closer to 15-1 af I'm guessing, but if I can tune with a gas analyzer I can confirm.

Thanks again everyone!

I'm 34 and only started working an cars professionally in 2003 and the electronic/computer controlled cars are second nature to me. I appreciate any knowledge I get from people that live and breathe carbeurated/points etc.

Wes

Just to follow through, I pulled the top off the old 1100 and the jet is a 57, I think it was a 55 originally, or when I rebuilt it. Maybe you have a 144 carb there? Dbl check the venturi size or maybe swap to the other carb after you rebuild it. 50 seems really small, even post emissions. Maybe dbl check with a #'d drill set and some good calipers on what size that jet really is. The idle jet in my 250 carb is ~.052" fwiw

Back