What is the best 2 barrel Carb to run on my 200ci?

Hello all, first post here so I will make it detailed.

I have a 1965 Mustang with I6 200ci w/ C4 transmission. I have Petronix Electronic Ignition, Classic Inlines Dual outlet header, MSD wires, and aluminum radiator. I will be looking into hopping up the efficiency and reliability of her this year. I will be purchasing a DUI distributor from a friend in the few months to come and i am looking for a 2 barrel carb. I would prefer NOT to modify my cylinder head to fit the bracket for the 2 barrel. But if push comes to shove I may have to modify it. As for carb choice, i was thinking about the 32/36 progressive Weber, autolite 2100, or holley 2300 that a friend is running on his. I do know that on all of the carbs my throttle linkages need to be re-done. I am also wondering how well the 2100 would fit me.SO, if you all could enlighten me with some knowledge and help me create a plan on how to go about this, i would greatly appreciate it! :)

Thanks,
Zach

Attachments

• 15285083_1352212398157535_5850161085029627713_n.jpg
    15285083_1352212398157535_5850161085029627713_n.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 136
Nice looking Mustang. My preference would be a 2100. Direct mount.
And get a copy of the Performance Manual it is worth way more than the few dollars it cost. To avoid downtime you can get another head and direct mount the 2100 on it then just plop it on your Mustang someday.

Howdy Zach:

And welcome to The Forum. Stay tuned for more input on your journey.

On the carbs all three have advantages and shortcomings. All will do better being mounted directly to the head- no adapter. Adapters also raise the concern for hood clearance. And converting to a throttle cable is almost a must. Also the trans down shift linkage is a challenge on each of these conversion.

On the Weber tuning can be an adventure. There are several members on this forum who have been down this road and got it right. This carb maybe to best for your engines level of mods. by that I mean stock compression ratio and cam.

The Autolite 2100 comes in a range of cfm sizes which is a plus. Some claim this to be the best carb ever with no gasket line below gas level, annular discharge boosters, better bowl venting and lighter than a Holley 2300. The down side is that these carbs are no longer available NEW. That makes finding jets and other parts a bit more challenging.

THe Holley 2300s are a two barrel version of the universal 4 barrel favorite. They come in two sizes; a 350 cfm version #7448 and a 500 cfm #4412. The 350 version will work best for you situation. They are infinitively tunable with parts from your local speed shop.

Heed bmbm40 advice to find a late model head to build at your leasure.

So, Welcome to The Forum. Read, plan and keep us posted on your plan and progress.

Adios, David

Hi, X2. Get the Falcon Performance Handbook and learn about the different head and carb combinations. The later heads have bigger valves and carb opening. Good luck

While waiting 4 the "Handbook" (Matt at vintige inlines dot com) read the above Classic Inlines 'archive' - click on it & go to carbs.

B4 any suggestions I want to hear what is the intended application? show, track or strip, DD
AND
if DD - what types of traffic/rds/use there as well?

W E L C O M E !!!
& stick round...

chad":129e23iy said:
While waiting 4 the "Handbook" (Matt at vintige inlines dot com) read the above Classic Inlines 'archive' - click on it & go to carbs.

B4 any suggestions I want to hear what is the intended application? show, track or strip, DD
AND
if DD - what types of traffic/rds/use there as well?

W E L C O M E !!!
& stick round...

My baby has been a Daily Driver for the past three years, i want her to be a more reliable,more fuel efficient, and have a little extra pep in her step. The roads here are fine, pretty well actually. Although I do encounter the occasional rough areas but i normally dont drive there.

Howdy back Haymore:

I should have mentioned that your stock 1100 carb will not be compatible with a DUI distributor vacuum advance system. The 1100 is a Spark Control Valve vacuum signal designed for your Load-O-Matic distributors vacuum advance system. So, you should start planning to upgrade your carb and distributorl with a matching vacuum advance system.

Comparitively speaking the DUI is a bit on the pricy side. There are other less expensive options. Check it out.

From your feedback I'm guessing that you will not want mods that require alot of down time. Is this car your main transportation? Will you do your own mechanical work? Are you having reliability issues with your car?

While planning go ahead and add some more advance to your initial spark advance setting for more power and better economy. Stock specs for your car is 10 degrees BTC. Try bumping it up to 14 degrees and see how that works.

Adios, David

Back