suggestions for performance products

I have a friend who is an engineering student, he looking to design and possibly put something into production, I suggested that he should design a more modern piston for the 200 and possibly a newer style rocker arm. let me know if any of you guys can think of stuff to improve on our engines.

Howdy Back Roo:

I have two; 1st I'd love to see someone develop a variable timing gear. Ala the new chevy 250 six. It would be spring loaded allowing stock type, conservative torquey low rpm function. Then as rpms rise the torque of the engine would press against the restrainer spring to allow the timing to be retarded, favoring higher rpm power. Once acceleration is done it would revert to stock cam timing. The spring mechanism would have to fit inside the diameter of the outer ring, would have to fit in the stock timing cover and use a stock type standard or double row timing chain.

2nd, I'd love to see a throttle body EFI that fits a stock log in place of a one barrel carb. It would be a complete kit to bolt on, plug in and drive off. It should be adaptable to a one barrel, a two barrel adapter of multi carb situations.

That's my best pipe dreams- for the moment. Let me know what he thinks.

Adios, David

I would like to see a nice stroker crankshaft for the 200 kind of like the 221 version (or more) that the Oz engines had, fully counter weighted would be really nice too. To add to that a stroker crank version sure could be used in the 250 block with the Pistons sitting so far down the hole it would be a real natural for one. To round out the bottom end a Hi Performance Crankshaft Dampner designed for a Six would be a big help too. Good luck :nod:

CZLN6":3egqitc6 said:
Howdy Back Roo:

2nd, I'd love to see a throttle body EFI that fits a stock log in place of a one barrel carb. It would be a complete kit to bolt on, plug in and drive off. It should be adaptable to a one barrel, a two barrel adapter of multi carb situations.

I am working on this (well, a 2bl throttle body and adapter to stock large log)

CZLN6":26pjv9le said:
Howdy Back Roo:

Adios, David

I am not sure if you knew about these guys.

http://www.hamiltonfuelinjection.com/

Howdy All:

Thanks Marco. I did not know about this company. I will be finding out more about them. The $1,400 price tag caused me to 'Ouch" a bit, but I'm a cheap Norwegian.

Adios, David

CZLN6":7phb6ndc said:
Howdy All:

Thanks Marco. I did not know about this company. I will be finding out more about them. The $1,400 price tag caused me to 'Ouch" a bit, but I'm a cheap Norwegian.

Adios, David
then stay tuned for my sub $500 system...

one thing i would like to see is a new block for the 200 or 250. one that moves the cam outward a bit to avoid possible interference with the crank to allow stroker cranks. other improvements might be the ability to run a roller cam, and to access the lifters using a cover plate much like the big sixes have. it could also accept an aussie cross flow head or the stock log head as direct bolt ons. one more thing, perhaps the ability to use four bolt main caps. but that is a pipe dream at this point.

CZLN6":iqjm8fxc said:
Howdy Back Roo:

I have two; 1st I'd love to see someone develop a variable timing gear. Ala the new chevy 250 six. It would be spring loaded allowing stock type, conservative torquey low rpm function. Then as rpms rise the torque of the engine would press against the restrainer spring to allow the timing to be retarded, favoring higher rpm power. Once acceleration is done it would revert to stock cam timing. The spring mechanism would have to fit inside the diameter of the outer ring, would have to fit in the stock timing cover and use a stock type standard or double row timing chain.

Adios, David

Un-veil the Fri May 30, 2014 time portal

With respect to peak valve spring tensions over as litlle as 150 pounds taking the stock 200/250 timing chain out pretty esily over time, there were a number of solutions,

1. A series BMC double row timing gears
2. Mike 1157 or Does10S SBF 302 timing chain sets with removable link kit, or the Dido Toyota R seies/ 1970-1974 Holden 308 HQ era V8 or 1963- onwards BMC A series 1275 twin roller chains,
3. Ausssie RidgeCrest Gear drives, and...

da, da-da da!

Xhibit A.....

Since the Austrailians put double row timing gear based on the Austin Powered 1275 A series on there 200 and 250 X flows that retro fits to the non crossflow 200 log engines...,

so to did the Italian British Leyaland Innocenti Mini concern dating back to the mid 70's.

vernier-adjustable-belt-drive-kit-Mini-Austin-Healey-_57.jpg

Like Austin Powers ulter ego Dr Evil said...when theres nothin going wrong, you must Zipppit...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32C0eKRQVt8

The ubiquitous toothed belt cam drive system, originally developed for use on high performance race engines, is now generally accepted as the norm on all state of the art, modern engines. The application of this drive system gives very accurate ignition tming and quiet running, advantages that do not diminsh with time. The fibre glass reinforcing in the belt all but eliminates the stretch suffered - usually excessively - by chain driven systems. The retention of accurate ignition timing keeps performance at a peak, rather than deterioration suffered with the scatter induced by chain drives. The MINI SPARES KIT enables the 'A' Series owner to benefit from such technology.

The adjustable cam gear allows up to 9° of adjustment, facilitating accurate cam timing, particularly when installing a performance camshaft.

FITMENT: After removing the old cover and gears, remove keys and clean cam and crank surfaces, ensuring new gears are a light slide fit. Remove cam plate retaining bolts and fit without shake proof washers, using thread-loc instead. This is to eliminate binding between the cam centre boss and nut heads when non original bolts and washers are used. Refit keys, once again checking that the gears are a light slide fit. If this is not done, the alloy seal-cover will be damaged when gears are removed using the cover as a lever point. Also if the crank key is too proud, it will form a ridge in the bottom pulley when forced on. Consequently this will cause an oil leak.

After checking that the gears are a lgiht slide fit, press the seals squarely into the seal-cover. With the gasket supplied in place, offer the cover up to the engine. Before screwing in retaining bolts tightly, fit the two gears through the seals and onto their relevant shafts - this will centralise the cover, helping to avoid oil leaks. Tighten the bolts down evenly to ensure the cover is pulled down square. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN.

The cam gear can be set in the standard position by aligning the two dots adjacent to each other on the cam gear centre piece and outer section, then inserting the peg through the holes next to the dots.

Adjustment is achieved by removing the peg with the screw supplied, turning the outer section in the required direction to advance/retard the timing, then re-inserting the peg in the required holes once lined up. Each hole is 1° offset, so gives 2° of crank timing. A 1° cam key will allow even greater adjustment.

Once the cam timing has been set and the peg is in place, fit the lock tab/peg retaining plate, then the cam nut and tighten enough to pinch the cam wheel assembly so that the end float can be checked. This should be 0.003"-0.007".

The pulley should be torqued up to 61 lb ft. Bend the locktab up, but NOT a section covering the locating dowel. Make sure the crank pulley guide plate is fitted before refitting the damper pulley.

Cam_belt_A_SERIES_1275_pAGE1OF%202.jpg

Cam_belt_A_SERIES_1275_pAGE2OF%202.jpg

Our 200 double row timing chain is Mini 1275 based, so Variable Valve timing adjustment by rubber linkrd belts as actually a straight drop in with a little bit of work...
viewtopic.php?f=95&t=71986
xctasy":iqjm8fxc said:
Two or three companies make the old APT Fast conversion (http://www.aptfast.com/)

with "white box" vernier adjustable belt drive kit for the venenerable A series 948/997/998/1098/1275 Mini Austin Healey Sprite MG Midget Morris A30. Since the Ford 200 uses the BMC A series double roller timing chain set, an easy swap.

The extra space in the 250 cam to crank distance would require a new Titan or Pirelli Isoran belt, but its doable

1.TRIGGER http://picclick.com.au/vernier-adjustab ... 39617.html

2. West classic Belt Drive Conversion Kit CAJJ3328 from http://west-classic.ch/data/documents/AH_2.pdf

3. MINI SPARES KIT http://www.minimania.com/Adjustable_bel ... _C_AJJ3328

Both use a Titan or Pirelli Isoran/ Innocenti Mini belt kit

Stainless steel turbo exhaust manifold like the one I have on my Cummins:
[image]http://www.xtremediesel.com/images/products/detail/4640011md2.jpg[/image]

rbohm":1uxe5ro2 said:
one thing i would like to see is a new block for the 200 or 250. one that moves the cam outward a bit to avoid possible interference with the crank to allow stroker cranks. other improvements might be the ability to run a roller cam, and to access the lifters using a cover plate much like the big sixes have. it could also accept an aussie cross flow head or the stock log head as direct bolt ons. one more thing, perhaps the ability to use four bolt main caps. but that is a pipe dream at this point.
one more thing, make it aluminum.

Hi, my dream design is a hemi style cylinder head, double overhead cam, with matching domed pistons. The ultimate modernized head with a removable intake with a cross flow design. Sweet dreams

he said that he thinks that a variable cam timing system can be built and he will look into it. I asked if he thinks that he can design a new aluminum block, he said that it is a little out of his league for the moment. he is very interested in building a new, stronger piston at low cost.

yeah, 64 chero, we have a pretty evolved head (by the founder of this site - interested? click on the "go here today" 4th line frm top, above).
Also have a mrkting division (well, a member who supplys ford i6 builds) Matt at vintige inlines dot com…
Check him out too! Any thing developed might be easliy taken care of by him...

Better designed pistons are already available from numerous sources, so no need to waste time and resources needlessly on that when so many others are already out there. That turbo manifold looks interesting and a good entry level part to begin with. It would be very easy to 3D model it and make casting patterns to cast it.

JackFish":30k1lrxl said:
Stainless steel turbo exhaust manifold like the one I have on my Cummins:
[image]http://www.xtremediesel.com/images/products/detail/4640011md2.jpg[/image]
CAD model for that would be fairly simple if you knew what sort of cross sectional area you wanted. Total of less than 16 manhours maybe?

Got a manifold pattern?

I second Bubba's idea of a stroker for the 200 engine. Honda rods have a 1.88 big end. I don't know if the 200 cranks can withstand that much offset grinding. At least the smaller big end might clear the camshaft?? Next issue is piston dimensions..

Back