Flywheel swap- what parts do I need?

Varilux

I had my slipping clutch replaced a couple months ago ('65 inline, 8.5" dish flywheel, T5 trans), which revealed the flywheel had really reached the end of its life. Couldn't find a new one at the time, so they turned it one last time and reinstalled a new clutch.

The result was quite a bit of chattering (and for some reason, the adjustment nut had to be moved the whole way out to the very edge of the adjustment rod to get the clutch operating properly. I took one trip of 40 miles or so (to work and back), and realized I needed to do something. Fortunately, someone here had a spare flywheel he was willing to sell me, and the shop says it is now turned (1" pocket) and ready to go.

Since I only have 40 miles on the disc and plate, I figured just take the car in and have them swap out the flywheel. However, Rickwrench helped me realize there are several parts I'm going to need to replace- again (including, potentially, the pressure plate- since those 40 miles involved quite a bit of bumper to bumper, and the plate may have lost its tempering).

Anyway, normally I just get everything from Modern Driveline, but I'm wondering if it's possible to just source the parts locally (since the shop says they'll be ready for the car around Wed/Thur). What all am I going to need for the flywheel swap, and is there a year/application I can reference when purchasing parts for my clutch (since the T5 obviously isn't using '65 Mustang parts for the disc, bearing, etc.)?

Thanks for the help!
Pete

I found a new pressure plate at Rockauto.com, and have it coming 2nd day. The pressure plate from Modern Driveline was supposed to be "stiffer than stock," so I'd like to reuse it... Is there any way to determine if the pressure plate has lost its tempering?

I'm fairly certain the clutch disc itself should be fine (unless I managed to glaze it on that 40 mile trip). Anyway, I'm not sure what model / year I would need to look for to get a new disc that would work with my T5 setup.

What about the throwout bearing?

I usually do all my own work on the Mustang- but replacing a clutch myself is something I'm just not ready to dive into yet (primarily because I do not have access to a lift- if I did, I think I'd be up for giving it a go).

Hi, as you know most of this job is labor, so why take a chance on the old parts. The chatter could be a bad spring in the clutch or a bad spring in the pressure plate, neither of which are really common. Are your take out parts new or rebuilt. Did you know when they rebuild a pressure plate they are supposed to test the springs, and they machine the pressure surface so now if the pressure plate was rebuilt a few times it is quite a bit thinner than stock. If it was my car and I do this in my driveway I might reuse the old parts, but if you are paying a shop you just might want to go with all new parts. I have seen the rivets set in rebuilt clutches that are crooked and only half way set. Definitely a reject, but if the mechanic is not looking for stuff like that they just put it back together. Good luck

Varilux":5c0v0u21 said:
I had my slipping clutch replaced a couple months ago ('65 inline, 8.5" dish flywheel, T5 trans), which revealed the flywheel had really reached the end of its life. Couldn't find a new one at the time, so they turned it one last time and reinstalled a new clutch.

The result was quite a bit of chattering (and for some reason, the adjustment nut had to be moved the whole way out to the very edge of the adjustment rod to get the clutch operating properly. I took one trip of 40 miles or so (to work and back), and realized I needed to do something. Fortunately, someone here had a spare flywheel he was willing to sell me, and the shop says it is now turned (1" pocket) and ready to go.

Since I only have 40 miles on the disc and plate, I figured just take the car in and have them swap out the flywheel. However, Rickwrench helped me realize there are several parts I'm going to need to replace- again (including, potentially, the pressure plate- since those 40 miles involved quite a bit of bumper to bumper, and the plate may have lost its tempering).

Anyway, normally I just get everything from Modern Driveline, but I'm wondering if it's possible to just source the parts locally (since the shop says they'll be ready for the car around Wed/Thur). What all am I going to need for the flywheel swap, and is there a year/application I can reference when purchasing parts for my clutch (since the T5 obviously isn't using '65 Mustang parts for the disc, bearing, etc.)?

Thanks for the help!
Pete

Chattering only has a few different causes, first common one is the flywheel surface being uneven and rough. The major one in my opinion is caused by the pressure plate assembly being setup wrong or it has been damaged caused to it by heat and with carful measureing you can see it. Measure from the mounting flange to the pressure plate face in four places (90 degrees apart) and compare those measurements, there should be no difference. If the pressure plates height it could be from being improperly assembled (or the springs have lost their tention or correct height due to heat). In either case they will chatter very badly because the pressure plate is only grabbing at one point instead of fully across the full face of the pressure plate. In many cases I have seen the pressure plate is so far off you can see it without even measuring.

Since you said you had Chatter from the very beginning I would suspect that the pressure plate is the cause from not being setup correctly and would contact your supplier about it. With only 40 miles of use there is a real problem for sure regardless of the flywheel being cut below it specs and that would only cause some Slipping and Clutch linkage adjustment problems, but not the Chatter.

As for the flywheel being cut down over its many years of use I have been wondering about if a spacer shim that could be made to install between the crankshaft and flywheel to make up for all the material removal, that are made for some other engines (like the 300 Ford) this would restore the clutch linkage adjustments. Good luck :nod: Edited

Varilux":3lfg8s9k said:
However, Rickwrench helped me realize there are several parts I'm going to need to replace- again (including, potentially, the pressure plate- since those 40 miles involved quite a bit of bumper to bumper, and the plate may have lost its tempering).

Referring to the -springs- in the PP here, to clarify. Only takes a few minutes of 550˚f to ruin PP spring temper. Slipping clutch in heavy traffic will get a 3-finger PP there PDQ.

Remember to dry fit flywheel/clutch disk/pressure plate together before install, too. On the bench, with at least one bolt in the flywheel. Finding interference -before- install is always preferable!

New PP $$$ will be less that R&R labor $$$ to do it over.

Rick(wrench)

congrats, guys, nother great threat:
a "SS" (a 'sticky suprime")
8^0
(y)

Speaking of stickies, what happened to them?
There was a lot of good info stickied in the top of each section that seems to be gone?

Rick(wrench)

i think there's a section Perry set up.
Isn't it on the Index page (own category) "tech articles"?
:unsure::

Thanks for the info and advice. Car is in the shop today having the flywheel swapped out. I also gave them a new pressure plate with instructions to really look over the one that was recently installed and swap it out if needs be (the one installed previously was from Modern Driveline and supposedly had a bit more aggressive clamping force). The shop said they believe the pilot and throwout will be reusable, but they will swap them out if needed.

The only thing I didn't buy new was the clutch disc (I believe the clutch disc I need is from the 4cyl 80-90s Mustangs that had the T5, but they are really difficult to find). The mechanic at the shop told me he is "very confident" the new flywheel will resolve all the issues. He said it was "painful" to put the old flywheel back in last time because it is truly "shot." If I think about it, I'll get the old flywheel from them and take a pic.

Anyway, I told them I just want the clutch to be really solid- it is the only aspect of the car that isn't really dialed in (but it ruins the driving experience when you have chatter, especially since my drive to work involves a lot of bumper to bumper). Told them to take as much time as it takes to get it perfect. Wish me luck!

drag-200stang":2fr8u7j1 said:
He has another post farther down that covers the finish.
"farther down" the Index page'? under the topic:
"Flywheel for a 250' - sources"?

chad":2gz78rm8 said:
drag-200stang":2gz78rm8 said:
He has another post farther down that covers the finish.
"farther down" the Index page'? under the topic:
"Flywheel for a 250' - sources"?
.....No..under Throw out bearing problems t5 with Varilux as author... and yes farther down this index page.

thank you, topic swap fooled me...

Back