Water Pump Whine?

Clogged oil pickup screen??? Could be debris in the pan & after several minutes it clogs the screen & starves the oil pump which would cause a whine??

No more news...little stuff getting in the way, like work, family, etc...However, this weekend I'm going to try to make time to remove the timing cover and see if anything can be discovered there. Fingers crossed. If not, then it will be time to remove the motor. I don't think it's generally starving for oil--there's plenty in the valve train. Maybe a particular bearing isn't being oiled, though.

I'm definitely not a professional mechanic, but I can hold a wrench and help lift stuff and I have a feeling I'm located pretty close to you (Hickory Creek, next to Lake Lewisville)... If you ever need an extra pair of hands, shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to help if I can (and I'm sure I'd learn something in the process :^).

adamscm":2owt1gxh said:
No more news...little stuff getting in the way, like work, family, etc...However, this weekend I'm going to try to make time to remove the timing cover and see if anything can be discovered there. Fingers crossed. If not, then it will be time to remove the motor. I don't think it's generally starving for oil--there's plenty in the valve train. Maybe a particular bearing isn't being oiled, though.

if concerned re: oil would U wanna run it w/VC off.
Some do to observe the pattern & flow…

(anything to keep motor in place as long as realistically feasible)

Thanks, Varilux, for the offer...I might take you up on it. I used to live up there, but moved south of the 'bridge' which saves a lot of headache! I'd love to see that Mustang if you still have it! As an update, in a last attempt to not remove the engine, I removed the timing cover and inspected everything...nothing out of norm. The loudest sound on the stethoscope comes from the front seal hub (it's not the seal!), so I'm thinking bearing. Looks like the motor comes out next weekend.

If you need a hand I am available as well. We might just need to have a DFW workday in your garage with Varilux.

Back