AAMACO nightmare

cmm24601

Need some help here...

About a month ago I drove my 69 Mustang to a city about 2 hours away for work. Late in the afternoon, I got in to drive it and the transmission completely failed. No gears at all. Ground was covered in tranny fluid.

Best I could in the moment was to have it towed to a local AAMACO transmission shop and bum a ride home with a coworker.

I was surprised they agreed to work on it all. Due to time constraints and my work schedule, I opted to pay for them to rebuild it rather try and tow the thing home.

4 weeks later... they have the tranny rebuilt. The radiator is not holding fluid. There was debate about rebuilding the radiator or replacing it. I'd much rather it be replaced, but the one they ordered doesn't fit. In this discussion, it was revealed that they assumed my engine was a 200, when it is in fact a 250. :shock:

Now I'm worried that they have royally screwed this up. What else, from the radiator to the transmission would be different on a 200 compared to a 250?

If I'm not mistaken the 250 mustangs came with the same radiator as the 302/351 in the 69 mustang.
Mine was the same as the other 302 mustang radiators that I had saw before.

Oh and also make sure they get a 2 row radiator. The 250 has a slightly longer water pump than the 200 and my 2 row radiator just does fit. During my build I have read amount many 3 row radiators that the fan came in contact with on 250 cars.

Thanks y'all. So the water pump...excuse my ignorance...is on the engine block near the thermostat?

Here's hoping it's just a matter of hoses and brackets. I would have preferred to upgrade to a crossflow radiator for a bigger engine, but at this point I'll take whatever will let me drive this car home...

69stang_250":2zjp8gxo said:
If I'm not mistaken the 250 mustangs came with the same radiator as the 302/351 in the 69 mustang.
Mine was the same as the other 302 mustang radiators that I had saw before.

careful w/dat:
bent8 may have opposite side inlet/outlet & different yrs w/them switch.

Hi, if the tranny cooler part of the radiator (or the connection) failed the tranny shop should have seen that right away. That being said, I would have them just bypass the radiator with an aftermarket tranny cooler and get your car home
Good luck

Back