Air cleaner clearance issues

69stang_250

VIP
Hey there guys.

I swapped the Holley out with a summit racing 600 carburetor and am extremely happy with it. The issue is that it sits just a bout 1/8 inch higher than the Holley and my air cleaner will not fit well under the hood.
I am very reluctant in cutting the hood bracing, but if I have to I will.

My question is if you guys have an idea of how much is safe to shave off of the CI carb adaptor?
How thin can I go on the intake flange on the CI intake?
What is the best air cleaner solution for these set ups?
Ive seen a spectre low profile carb hat that would fit just barely right now, but I have read that it will choke out an engine at higher RPMs pretty bad.

Any ideas would be great!

Right now I have one of the high flow triangle air cleaners that I had to cut and modify to fit with the other carb.

Thanks guys!

I had the same issue with the triangle filter when I had my Holley 1940 installed. I had to trim maybe 1/4" off of the standoff flange on the bottom plate. This resolved my issues. Currently I'm running a 14" with a drop (don't remember how much) and a 2" element. This leaves me with plenty of room.

Forgot to mention that I'm currently running a direct-mount Autolite 2100 on a modified C9 log head instead of the 1940.

Hi, X2 look for a low profile air cleaner or check out the over the valve cover stuff on vintage inline. Good luck

here's the few I've collected for the "250-ina-bronk" or low hood issue:

1) Body Lift
2) Suspension Lift (yes, in some cases)
3) 'slot' the mount
4) remote a/c, carb hat, drop base ac housing, etc
5) hood scoop
6) late Maverick mounts
7) autolote 1100 / carter RBS carb, air horn-ectomy
8. mill head - direct mount.

So there's about 8 that work, some only for trucks & w/mine only a few of them.
Good Luck, if U can add to the list let us know!

Guys, make sure you use a K&N air filter so you don't richen WOT due to lack of air flow.

double post
(hit <quote>, not <edit>)
gotta get that post count up somehow, no?

So when you look at this picture, the hood has a dimple in the support to clear the factory aircleaner. That dimple land right ath the radius of the top of the carb. I had to bend the filer support down on that edge and cut the mesh to clear the hood. I saw the dual out carb hat from spectre that I could put a dent in on the shock tower side to help clear the hood. And I could just put the filters on each end and maybe fab a shroud for each so the header heat isnt completely killing the air.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    666 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 37
Do U have 2 1/2 inches clearence?
Have U tried the "modeling clay squish"?
That would be the 'true test' of conditions…

I like the spectre idea as it may wrk
/AND/
get more air in there. Just can't tell if U have the room
(I got a 2nd & 3rd hood, 1 has a hole cut right where I need to guage it).

Good Luck, keep talkin.

Back