Looking for an SU manifold for CI Aluminum or 2V head

oldsix

Subject line says it all. Have a Classic Inline's aluminum head, want to run it in an old English sports car. Thinkin' that nothing would look more bitchin' (can I say this on this board?) than a brace of side draft SU's stacked in a row.

Believe the 2V port locations are more or less the same or similar to the CI head, and that an Aussie place Lynx made a triple SU manifold for the 2V.

Am I crazy (no need to answer). Any advice or direction gratefully accepted

what motor
how many carbs to fit
what body?

Duz it all fit (not the SUs, I believe they've side draft)?
Even w/the limited info, sounds interesting...

gb500 is the man.
So is Mustangsix and rocklord

IMG_1147_640x480_.jpg

Classic inlines did a mockup with a modified Lynx bolt on 2V intake

Mock_20up_20-_20top_med.jpg

triple_su_inline_ford.jpg

su_1.jpg

Follow every post gb500 writes in this stub. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75335&p=580123#p580123

gb500":2ohd9cvb said:
or this - only twin SU's - only 66 % cred at the car meet but reduced tuning difficulties by 33%

There used to be a common 3 SU 2V intake that could fit the Classic Inlines head. Aussie Speed is making them again.

The US had the Rambler semi log headed six cylinder engine with a plate adaptor.

The English re-invented log intake sixes in 1951 with the Ford Zephyr six and then the the US 144/170 Falcon engined copied the idea... but it was more common to do what the English used to do with its log head engines, and weld a BMC C series 2.9 liter type flange on the factory log head and put your two or three SU's on it that way. Blattman, Lynx made kits before the 2V head in 1971, and sold giziilions of them to the speedway guys to convert 1968-1970 221 and 1971-1975 250's over the better breathing SU's.

So, 3 ways w/the current falcon motor & the log must B removed?
BMC
Lynx
Bateman?
Or by use of the CI/vintage inlines head & Aussie Speed 'adapter''?

Responding to Chad-

200 CI
Thinking 3 carbs would probably work best
MGB. Engine fits w/ heater shelf removal, and looks like it will fit with the heater shelf in situ

xctasy posted a pic of the engine in a car using the log and two SU's. This car has the heater shelf removed. As you can see, not really running into much like shock towers, and you can knock the inboard upper corner oft he RH footwell off for clearance. Or push the motor forward a couple inches

oldsix":1agtz24v said:
Subject line says it all. Have a Classic Inline's aluminum head, want to run it in an old English sports car. Thinkin' that nothing would look more bitchin' (can I say this on this board?) than a brace of side draft SU's stacked in a row.

Believe the 2V port locations are more or less the same or similar to the CI head, and that an Aussie place Lynx made a triple SU manifold for the 2V.

Am I crazy (no need to answer). Any advice or direction gratefully accepted

Contact RevHeads regards M189

http://www.revheads.com.au/manifolds_ford.html

To suit Ford 6 cylinder non-crossflow iron head 2V to suit 3 SU carburettors. Optional linkage kit KC909 or 22-1699 or 42-25 available.

Price: AU $598.65

M189.jpg

Aussiespeed make various 4-bbl and supercharged manifolds with the same bolt pattern but different port spacings which are easy yo reprofile.

No SU intakes for 2V heads...yet!

http://www.aussiespeedshop.com/ford-6-p ... ssiespeed/

http://www.aussiespeedshop.com/product/ ... -manifold/

http://www.aussiespeedshop.com/product/ ... 032as0139/

AussieSpeed - couldn't tell if for non-xflow (usa 6)

RevHeads
http://www.revheads.com.au/index.html
has pretty good list (unavailable AT ALL elsewhere?) and a stiff import &/or shipping fee to top off any list price. Looks like ‘only options’ (for many of the ‘weekend wrenchers’).

Would not all 3 work?
Don’t all 3 require a log-ectomy?

1) M189 Ford Manafold, new, linkage kits available (KC909 or 22-1699 or 42-25)
2) D3009A Lynk Manafold, used
3) D2705 Cain manafold, used

might go w/#1 as it has linkage avail?

Thanks for the post!
Still want 6 Mukunis
8^0

interesting...
I saw a guy on youtube, while back, who sliced off the log, had a machinest take a smoothing mill pass and welded up a Lynx type adaptor (6 alu tubes between 2 alu plates) - put the 6 Mukunis on.
These Hondas may skip the alu welding if spaced right (probable w a y off, tho).

If we assume (correctly?) the 'logectomy' leaves a head that flows about 400 cfm what would each of the 6 carbs need for THIER cfm?
66 2/3 cmf each?

Oh, that certain Kawi 12 hundred is the same spacing?!?
Takes away 1 problem!
Never heard of that carb tho.

I had my porter build a manifold w/ 6 Keihins taken from two KZ1000's. We split the LH carb off one bank and the RH carb off the other. The 1-2 and 5-6 carb spacing was close enough using the 3 LH carbs on the rear and the 3 RH carbs on the front. The third carb on the front and rear racks were spaced away about 10mm from the other carb in each rack, and the3-4carbs are spaced about out about 75mm from stock.

My hesitantcy using the 6 Keihins is I know nothing of how to jet the hombres

that's pretty close to the 2012 Ron Ward vid on UTube…
The OP will need to go to the Oz company for what X has given the link to the Down Under co....

Keihins. Honda carbs that Ak Miller used to make 125 rwhp out the back of a 1967 Mustang 200.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thre ... r8-6.5405/
229909-keihin6-jpg.9052

Ak Miller fangle circa 1967. Four 37mm Keihin constant velocity carburettors from Honda 450 motorcycles were attached to stubs brazed to the cylinder head

Only he used just four 37 mm ones. Keihins go up to about 46 mm or so IIRC right.

The carb center spacings probably ape the center spacings of the nominal 3.387 or 3.383 bore to bore centers depending on which Kawaskai engine. Some are now making V8's out of these engines, Hartly make one, Synergy Power 2.4 and 3.0 V8's are basically a Kawaski 1200 that has hickups, and wants to be a simease bore Donovan SBC small block with multivalve heads. So its a down sized 4-1/8" by 2.85" F5000 racing engine, and instead of 275 thou of siamese metal between the cylinders, its cast linerless and tight at about 119 thou between the 3.387" bore spacing 83 mm 3.2677" linerless etch primed and coated cylinders. That's tight.

The Ford I6 log heads have a nominal 4.08" bore spacing, but differntial between ports as the center exhaust is siamesed, and as the triple SU intake shows, the ports are wildly off set to clear the exhaust. Fairly well typical of all the old in line sixes, set up to warm the single barrel carb.

The ports spacing from front to back averages 4.08 at the valves, but further out, from front to back, they are also additionally angled fore and aft, so the average center spacings are more like 4.222" at the carb centerline .

Nominally,
1 to 2 = 3.00"
2 to 3 = 4.00"
3 to 4 = 5.50"
4 to 5 = 4.00"
5 to 6 = 3.00"

I guess for the "1 per cyl" a cardboard template (after the logectomy & mill pass)
and a total redesign of the carb linkage/spacing is in order.

The experts here R suggesting the Keihins? because they flow more appropriately for the combustion chamber & cyl sz? No rejeting or other internal adaptation?
The intake would B a one-design.
I'd think these would not B 'progressive' but 'unitized' (operate together) .
Would a rod linkage be suggested (w/may B Lokar cable to the skinny peddle)?
May B I better take this to a new thread - getting away from the SU/CI,
Sorry.

Back