Lost in A FORD world?

First off, I'm out of my element. I was pretty comfortable with a SBC and Holley 4bbl...in 1990-something. I'm now about ready to fire a new corvette drivetrain in 57 Chevy, so I'm getting familiar with fuel injection, computers etc.

To my point, I'm also building my wife a '66 Bronco and the 170/3-speed was completely worn out (happens when you throw away air cleaner and drive it around Texas fields for five decades). So yesterday I pulled a 200/c4 from a 1980 fairmont to make a (lame!) 2wd Bronco. Expect it to pretty much bolt in less the fairmont driveshaft that I'll have shortened.

My big question, I have the distributor, duraspark module etc but wiring was very rough...so should I buy/splice wiring to resurrect 1980 technology or am I better off buying a pertronix ignition or ??? And just start fresh.

As a qualifier, I'm trying to stay on a budget BUT happy to spend $300 if it works better and saves 60 days of junkyard searches etc. just trying to end up with a reliable decent running bronco, albeit 2wd.

PS-before the criticism begins, the original drivetrain will be stashed and when she's done driving her 'convertible' I'll rebuild proper (as it's an original uncut roadster).

I've got a Pertronix in my loadomatic, and haven't had a problem yet, but I intend to upgrade to DSII here in the near future. I've done a little reading and it seems to be the superior option.

I too appreciate the '77 technology on ign.(the whole DSII inc. ' blue strain relief box') for pep, cost simplicity & druability.
Go fast for less dot com is nother option (hybrid: gm 4 pin & DSII) & one of our cam ex-spirts uses the mopowr 'orang box' w/the rest-
ie coil, dizzy, ecu, wires...

Keep the DSII, don't worry about the stock wiring if you don't want to. Personally I went with a Chevy ignition module to control the spark on mine.

If you need help wiring, head here (this was literally the first website that popped up when I searched for "GM wiring with Duraspark 2" but it looked fairly complete)
http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/inde ... ion.48435/
This picture itself is the same one that was on the article here that I originally read to do this. http://www.binderplanet.com/photopost/d ... module.jpg

Make dadgum sure you put a heatsink under the GM module, and make sure you ground the heatsink. I went complete overkill on mine and got a CPU heatsink from a computer repair shop.

There a number of ways to wire a DuraSpark II system (DSII) depending on how much rewiring of your car you want to do.

Here is how I did it on a number of early cars and trucks that is very simple and it keeps and uses all the car or trucks original wiring only adding one or two new wires. Also if you should ever want to return to the stock system it's easy to change back.

1. With the new DSII Distributor installed its 3 Wire socket pluggs into the DSII wire harnesses 3 wire plug and then you can start to route the DSII wire harness.

2. The Ignition Control Module (ICM) gets mounted to the inter fender panel and the DSII harness 4 wire plug goes into the ICM 4 wire socket. Some people run an extra ground wire to one of the mounting screws if the inter fender panel is made of metal it probally isn't nessisary but it won't hurt if you want to.

3. I used most all of the stock vehicle wiring including the Pink Resistor wire that goes to the Bat. Or + Side of the stock Ford coil. This Pink wire goes right into the DuraSpark II coils Red wire hooked up to the Battery or + side of the new DSII coil. Also the other wire coming from the I terminal ( for extra voltage when starting) of the starter solinod goes onto this same + Red wire.

4. The DSII horseshoe clip is made so that the Green wire coming out of the DSII wire harness plugs onto the Tach or the - side of the coil, so you just plug it on as is.

5. The ICM 2 wire plug socket is plugged into the 2 wire plug and has a Red and a White wire coming out of it. I ran a new wire connecting this Red wire and splicing it into the Pink wire about 2 or 3 inches under the dash behind the ignistion switch so it's before the Resistor in the Pink wire, I even used a Crimp On type Splice Connector so I didn't have to cut any of the orginal wiring harness. If you have a Volt / Ohm meter probe the wire there you are looking for at least a full 12 + volts with the Key on in the Run position as the ICM needs a full 12 volts to run correctly. This is all you really need to make it run and many people don't even bother to hookup the White wire. The White wire though is the Ignistion retard feature of the ICM and is a good idea to hookup. To do so just run a new wire connecting the White wire over to the S terminal of the starter solenoid and now your all done and can Enjoy all the benifits of the new DSII system. Good luck :nod:

HOwdy lct57:

And Welcome to The Forum. I love the sound of your '57 Vette. Brings back memories of my wasted youth.

"My big question, I have the distributor, duraspark module etc but wiring was very rough...so should I buy/splice wiring to resurrect 1980 technology or am I better off buying a pertronix ignition or ??? And just start fresh."

The simple, cheap way is to use the DuraSpark II system complete with the factory wiring harness. If you need a hotter spark check out the MSD Blaster coil. A "Poor Mans" recurve of the centrifugal advance curve is also easy and inexpensive.

Before you get too far along, take a close look at the pans of the two engines. If the Bronco was originally a 4x4 you may have some clearance issues with the 1980 oil pan. Check it out.

Again, Welcome and keep it coming.

Adios, David

You need to have your distributor checked for what centrifugal advance curve you have.
Very important if you want to achieve the best from your engine.
I have put over 300 DS11's on the Sun Machine from customers & rebuilt units & including Ford rebuilds & you would be amazed at the junk that is out there. Examples full advance at 4500 rpms, 30 degrees at 2000 rpms.
Just advising of your options. I like the MSD box using their harness for a direct connection to the DS11 & a MSD Blaster coil.

Yes as Dave mentioned swap the pan and oil pick up tube from the 170 to the 200. Been along time ago that I did mine but it was pretty straight forward from what I remember.

Back