Flywheel for a 250 - sources?

hucklburry

I guess I was expecting to find a stock $80-$100 flywheel, and that isn't the case anymore.

I need to get a flywheel for a 250, and a 302 would fit but I need:

157 tooth
10" clutch
Zero balance/internal balance

It is hard to find all that in one, the best I've found is probably $228 or $248 for one with removable weights.

Just curious if some one knew of a better source. This is actually for a crossflow block, so getting the larger truck bell isn't an option for me, and I figured more people on this forum have faced the problem than the crossflow forum.

Thank you

The OEM 250 FW's are very difficult to locate in good shape and Automatic 250's were probably 3-to-1 or more over stick.(?)
The 250 uses same 157 Tooth FW dimensionally as 302/5.0 except V8's need the EXTERNAL balance weight of 28 or 50 Oz.

The OEM and most aftermarket V8 FW's simply cast the extra weight into the FW but many 'competition' aftermarket simply bolt-on the external weight. The flywheels can be sourced on E-Bay and various vendors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang-30 ... Gm&vxp=mtr

Occasionally INTERNAL balanced 157 V8 FW's do show up if you search on "Ford 157 INTERNAL FLYWHEEL". (Boss 302 variant?)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RPW-163020-Flyw ... 5A&vxp=mtr

have fun

PS later V8 PMGR starters DO FIT the 250.

I swear I used those search terms, but you found some better deals than I did, Thank you. I'm confirming with them that they fit a 10" clutch (the various holes look like it will to me) and I will order one or the other - kinda prefer the zero balance no bolted weight one even though its a little more.

Thanks!

I probably got lucky but I found mine on ebay with my first search a few years ago. Think I paid $100 for it plus shipping.

I'm confirming with them that they fit a 10" clutch (the various holes look like it will to me) and I will order one or the other

I found smaller 'track' clutch only 157 FW's fitting ?. they're out there... .

most aftermarket have numerous clutch patterns but it is a reasonable concern, also clutch registering pins/dowels may be needed and genuine clutch fasteners recommended.

have fun

My 250 came with a brand new aftermarket lightweight billet flywheel with bolt on weights( i didn't get the weights) and a 10" clutch. I sold it all to another member but they are out there, but are a bit salty. The change in the counterweight size in the sbf v8 led to them selling the 157 tooth flywheel with bolt on weights. I'm not sure if the 240/300's came with a 157 tooth flywheel ever; but if they did, that flywheel is the one you need. I went to an automatic so I'm using a 164 tooth 300 aod flexplate. If you can't find a zero balance flywheel and have to have it machined and rebalanced it makes sense to get a billet one unless you can do it yourself. Maybe a member has an oem flywheel lying around though. This is the one I had,

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/Mustan ... ustang.axd

"Competition Clutch Billet Steel 157 Tooth Flywheel for 1965-1995 Ford 289/302/351W/351C with 10.5" Clutch.

SFI 1.1 approved. Includes 28.2 Oz.. & 50 Oz. bolt-on counterweights.
without counterweights it is neutral balanced. Diaphragm clutches must use metric bolts & dowel pins, see related parts for kit.

Dimensions: 13-3/8" diameter."

I did a lot of searching for a part# of what would work, and found some bad info along the way, so I'm posting this for future reference:

The goal is to find a flywheel:
157 tooth to match the bellhousing and starter
6 bolts at the crank - sames as 302/351 for mounting (and the 300 six)
Internally or Zero balance
10" clutch is what I have been told I need to fit under the bellhousing (mine is a crossflow Aussie engine, its a small bell!)

There are probably some cheaper flywheel's that will work, but I could not get those sellers to tell me if a 10" clutch will fit, but I found a chart here that makes it look like a 10" will fit the same places as a 10.5", but I didn't want to roll the dice on it without verification.

sbftech.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21755.0;attach=37899

THIS IS A PDF download. It shows a 10" and a 10.5" having the same bolt pattern dimensions, with 3 groups of 2 bolts. It is different than what they call a 10.4" clutch from an 86+ mustang. So when a flywheel says a 10.5" clutch will fit (and I don't know that it will fit in a US250 bellhousing), according to this chart, a 10" will bolt up also.

So I found a PRW 1628982 SFI-Rated 25 lbs. 157 Teeth Billet Steel Flywheel for Ford 302 5.0L 1980-95. PRW has a good name, and this flywheel has the weight that unbolts to make it zero/internal balanced. And PRW publishes that a 10" clutch will fit. It is normally a $221-$260 flywheel, more than I wanted to spend, but I found a "used-new condition" for $135 shipped, that I think was an open box or damaged box, return or something. It is not here yet, but I hope its as advertised. I plan to have the balance checked before installing.

There is also a speedmaster pce229.1009 that looks like it would work with the weight that unbolts, for around $125, but it did not have as good reviews, but is probably fine, and I don't think I confirmed a 10" works. Also a speedway 6051520, again, not 100% sure a 10" clutch fits. You should be able to google those names and part # and fine em. I would have bought the speedmaster probably if I hadn't run across the PRW like I did.

As a note, when I bought my engine I read that a 300 flywheel will work, so I was expecting to find a flywheel for like $100. I could not find a 300 flywheel in 157 tooth, all were from trucks and 164 tooth. So if you are using a truck bellhousing that requires 164tooth, a 300 flywheel should work, but not if you are using a car bellhousing, which I think is what all the 250 bells are.

I will up-date this at some point to confirm the PRW worked out.

Thank you for the input above!

Back