200 issue

Hi, now that it is running you have something to work with. Put a vacuum gauge on it. Do you have a complete carb. The details like fuel filter and tune up might be all you need to have a reliable runner. Good luck

CZLN6":dsyrl732 said:
Howdy back Falconero
From that limited angle the carb looks like a a rebuilt Autolite 1100. Parts are missing. What distributor is in the engine? Stock specs call for 5 degrees initial advance. Check to make sure the vacuum line is hooked up and that the vacuum advance is not sticking.

How do the plugs look? They will be oily from what you added for the compression check but under the recent oil coating. The red color on the springs looks like someone went wild with a red can of Krylon and missed the valve cover. Any other signs of red
spray paint?

Are you running it with the valve cover removed? If so, how long did it take for oil to reach the #1 rocker arms?

Adios, David

Stock distributor as far as I can tell, vacuum is now hooked up. Plugs that came with the engine were oily, I replaced with the ones from 170.
Yep paint Is just overspray
I did initially have cover off, reinstalled before I got it running.
Yea David I live about a half hour outside of bismarck, I have a sister living up in Grafton outside of grand forks, heading that way in April.

Ags and bubba I believe I got the linkage figured out, there was two rods, did not have a use for the second, don't have a place for it so replace with a bolt for now.

Thanks wsa I didn't check valve seals I think they are ok though.

Be Ron co I do have a Filter to put on, also not sure I'll be getting to a vacuum check for some time, thanks.

Thanks for stopping by and comments darrell

yep,70 80 psi…just gettin broke in
(y)

I don't think the manual fuel pump is working, would the one out of my 170 work? The cam levers are opposite from each other, one is situated above the cam, while the other is below.

sometimes they putem in upside down…?
The flat part goes down the 'risers' go up…
But I have heard they work either way. (A
pic would help.)

Is this what U mean?

:unsure: X2 yes some years pumps do mount upside down either type will work. So the 170 fuel pump should work fine just be sure it's installed correctly (oriented). Y'ou can use the fuel pumps gasket to check its orientation so that it will seal correctly to the blocks mounting hole. Good luck :nod:

:beer: Yes so there you have a perfect example of the two different types of fuel pumps! One that will mount facing up and the other one that's mounts facing down. And when they are mounted right the pump arms are going to be in the same position. Good luck :nod:

is it the Carter "Street/Strip" they simply pull the pin from the one in the background/right (that mounts as I said) & swap arms for an up grade?
The foreground/left is mounted the "upside down" way. I'm using the one in the background (again those lill risers/uprights go up).
Usually U can tell by the mounting flange and shape on the block but not on these 'falcon' motors (ford term: 'Thriftpower'). Gotta look @ the arm - how it will hook on the cam.

bubba22349":1d51ieel said:
:beer: Yes so there you have a perfect example of the two different types of fuel pumps! One that will mount facing up and the other one that's mounts facing down. And when they are mounted right the pump arms are going to be in the same position. Good luck :nod:
my understanding is that the arm on the vacuum pump one mounts on top of the cam eccentric.
the fuel(gas) only the arm locates under the cam eccentric.

can see on above photo the angle of the different cam arms/levers

Yeah if that new style pump was turned 180 degrees as it would be when mounted on the engine it would be much easier to tell. Good luck :nod:

Check your fuel pressure on all pumps. The last Carter pump I installed has 7 lb psi. A little high so I installed a pressure regulator to keep it in the 5.0-5.5 psi for my Holley. Guys with a Weber you need it much lower psi.

Both pumps are the orientation they came off the block, vacuum ports are up as well as fuel ports on smaller pump were up.
Gong to put the vacuum pump on, hopefully soon
THanks for the comments and help, greatly appreciated

Also what have you all used in the past to try to get a bit more room arounder the bigger bellhousing?

Both pumps are the orientation they came off the block, vacuum ports are up as well as fuel ports on smaller pump were up.
Gong to put the vacuum pump on, hopefully soon
THanks for the comments and help, greatly appreciated

Also what have you all used in the past to try to get a bit more room arounder the bigger bellhousing?

Back