Rocker Shaft Torque Sequence

ags290

Supporter 2022
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
Howdy,

I was reviewing my Ford shop manual in perpetration for the cylinder head installation on our 170 and came across a question. In the manual it says to torque the rocker arm pedestals two turns in sequence up to spec. I found the spec at 35 ft/lbs but can't find anything about the sequence. A quick search here on the forum says to start in the middle and work towards the ends, is that correct?

Thanks,

Kevin

Yes that's correct, you could also torque the bolts in three steps say like 15 Ft. Lb.s then 25 and finally 35 Ft. Lbs. good luck :nod:

It's all about trying to be even. Working from the middle out in a circle like trying to get a bubble out from under a film. The steps ensure you aren't torquing any particular fastener/area more than the rest of the assy, binding/tweeking the layup of the two parts.

Thanks for the help guys. This is my spring break project with my son. I just want to make sure I am prepped and ready when he gets home.

Be careful that the push rods do not get out of the lifter cups ...They can get out of place when installing the rocker shaft.
Ask me how I know. :!:

Back