DS11 vs DUI dyno results

wsa111

Distributor Recurving.
Staff member
VIP
Approved Vendor
Supporter 2018
Where did the bogus dyno tests come from comparing a DS11 vs a DUI.
I dispute the bogus dyno tests of a DS11 with MSD compared to a DUI???
The DS11 was probably just a Cardone reman.
I believe this is just an advertising scam to promote DUI sales.
The DUI is an engineering disaster.
Vintage Inlines claims a 15 HP increase copied from the CI website.
The DUI sold is just a generic disaster compared to the original GM HEI.
I challenge anyone to a test comparing the DS11 with a MSD, Mopar or a Ford Duraspark module properly curved for your exact build compared to a production DUI.
Think twice before purchasing an overpriced DUI.
I am not trying to bash Performance Distributors, but this product is inferior compared to their other products.
Many members of this forum have had many problems with this product. Nuff said.

Mike was a trustworthy straight-shooter. He said he achieved those gains, so I believe him. I've been quite happy with my dui (my Falcon had to be my daily for awhile, and it's been running strong for a few years now). Prepare to point and laugh, I even have the mini VIP.

George66Falcon":2v1pitq0 said:
Mike was a trustworthy straight-shooter. He said he achieved those gains, so I believe him. I've been quite happy with my dui (my Falcon had to be my daily for awhile, and it's been running strong for a few years now). Prepare to point and laugh, I even have the mini VIP.
George, your DUI as purchased is not correctly set up for any engine in the 170",200" & 250" engine line up. It is just a generic production curve.
Let me let you into more bogus tests. That being the dyno tests at Pony Carburetors.
The 4412-500 carb that Michael Raley had on his CI head mustang was set up for proper jetting by me. The results were verified using an Innovate A/F tester. The WOT was in the 12.8-13.1 area.
Gary Stubbs was also a moderator at that time & lives in Texas. He also tested the A/F ratio on Michaels mustang using an Innovate wideband tester & got the same results.
At Pony Carburetors they ran Michaels car on their dyno & got WOT readings in the mid 11's to low 11's
I found out they had pulled that carb apart even before the testing for some unknown reason.
Michael stated that after the installation of their carburetor that his engine did not run as well as the 4412-500 had previously done.
Case in point don't believe everything you read on using dyno tests as printed.

never really 'went in for' a comparison. (Also far from a mechanic or knowledgable).
Just seems apples-to-oranges.
One (DSII) is for old school looks, reliable, durable, availability, minor pep.
the other
(DUI) is for reduced prts, performance, panache, prestige…
Just my "interested party's" impression. So 'dyno results' (like statistics, can B used 2 lie) is of no interest 2 me…sorry.
:eek:

chad":3ghb4h0r said:
never really 'went in for' a comparison. (Also far from a mechanic or knowledgable).
Just seems apples-to-oranges.
One (DSII) is for old school looks, reliable, durable, availability, minor pep.
the other
(DUI) is for reduced prts, performance, panache, prestige…
Just my "interested party's" impression. So 'dyno results' (like statistics, can B used 2 lie) is of no interest 2 me…sorry.
:eek:
Chad I dismantle distributors every day & the DUI design is just a distributor released too soon. It just another DUI with an adapter.
Very poor engineering design.
Plus the DS11 is much easier to recurve & can be fine tuned to perfection.

case of over engineering? there R many,
I get some of the flaws, not 4 me anyway -
put it in a SBC...

Chad, the only way to get a fair comparison is at 3000-4000-5000 rpms with the total advance set at 36 degrees.
I have seen some reman. DS11's have full advance come in at 4500 rpms. That includes cardone & autolite.
A properly done curve just improves idle quality & engine operation up to say 3K. It is a drive ability improver. That being said it can make or break the normal driving of your combination.
The MSD supplies 3 sparks at the same time up to 3K & improves idle quality & low end engine operation. The DUI only supplies 1 spark just like the HEI or any other ignition module using the DS11.
The design of the DS11 shaft has spiral grooves to improve oiling to the shaft bushings.
The Performance Distributor DS11's has a full length bushing. I have had several of them to recurve & the bushing is too loose in the housing & slides down in the housing. I need to call Scott at Performance Distributors to inform him of this problem.
I believe they should concentrate on their GM products & leave the Ford engines to the superior DS11's.

This is all 'good stuff.
I appreciate all U experienced guys takin the time w/me.
I "don't have a clue".
Thanks again, Bill.

wsa111":2ztb4yq4 said:
George66Falcon":2ztb4yq4 said:
George, your DUI as purchased is not correctly set up for any engine in the 170",200" & 250" engine line up. It is just a generic production curve.
Let me let you into more bogus tests. That being the dyno tests at Pony Carburetors.
The 4412-500 carb that Michael Raley had on his CI head mustang was set up for proper jetting by me. The results were verified using an Innovate A/F tester. The WOT was in the 12.8-13.1 area.
Gary Stubbs was also a moderator at that time & lives in Texas. He also tested the A/F ratio on Michaels mustang using an Innovate wideband tester & got the same results.
At Pony Carburetors they ran Michaels car on their dyno & got WOT readings in the mid 11's to low 11's
I found out they had pulled that carb apart even before the testing for some unknown reason.
Michael stated that after the installation of their carburetor that his engine did not run as well as the 4412-500 had previously done.

Plus that is the only dyno test that the HP and TQ peaked at the same RPM. I defiantly think it was fishy.

65-coupe":1xlvtmt3 said:
wsa111":1xlvtmt3 said:
George66Falcon":1xlvtmt3 said:

Plus that is the only dyno test that the HP and TQ peaked at the same RPM. I defiantly think it was fishy.
Exactly correct. I know they were bogus. I see you have a DUI, you are loosing a lot of drivability with the curve in it. Plus you probably have too much total advance since you have the CI head.

Mike W from CI and John E from Pony Carbs took those matters to the ground.

Just as long as no-one is miss-proporting the figures.

Your concerns are duly noted and entirely valids. I got a PM from Mike W at about this time, remember, he had to front up with an {undisclosed to us all, but he told me, and some others here as well} sum of money for the Australian casting of the first head. He was doing a full scope assessment of intakes, and other options if things didn't quite work out. I told him he'd be fine. 150 odd aluminum heads later, it was a sound idea.

The DUI/FlameThrower I/II. Duraspark I/II/LoadaMatic thing was done as poolry as the 1bbl to 2 bbl to 4bbl thing. This is not a talk down of Mike W's work, he shepareded it out to toehrs. Both John aE and Mike W were both not well, and that, ladies an gentleman, is the truth becasue neighter is alive to tell the details.

What we do know!

1. The video of the last 480 cfm Autolite 4100 mraley dyno run was with drawn, and indeed, any dyno output showing just the 5250 hp equal to lb-ft reading is invalid, since power and torque on a properly tuned engine should have torque about 1.25 th of the peak hp level....about 4200 rpm, even if the headers and air fuel mixtures are wrong and have swings.

2. You are also aware that MPG Mustang (Richard), who recieved the direct mount head which was tested in the 1-bbl to 2-bbl comparison before 2V 250 head...it had cracks. Such events sow seeds of doubt that are valid.

3. And the details on the ignItion were inconclusive becasue there was no proper baseline testing. Ignition requires simple repeat testing without the second factor of air fuel ratio changes.

Its a nice report though. Looked great. Just not worth the pixels it was written on.

At least we got 235 hp from another source, carry way too many rev's. 235 HP at 6200 RPM, and 228 LB-FT at 4200 RPM. That underscores what You've said, Bill. We discussed the same matters at length then.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-130 ... nline-six/

Even before, there were issues with the Flamethrower I and II's ignition, and the brace of idle quality issues and air fuel ratios.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36524&p=266366#p266366
fxp":3eyqgan2 said:
wallaka":3eyqgan2 said:
yappy":3eyqgan2 said:
I'd particularly like to see the gain over points as well as over the alternate electric dizzies verified on a dyno.
Already has been, search for posts by mraley.

Yeah saw that thread wallaka, and it's certainly thought provoking. But the mule wasn't exactly a stock as a rock 170, and the comparisons were all over DII not points if I remember correctly. I don't for a second doubt that the DUI would bring in a few more ponies not to mention smooth out the idle and all the other benefits claimed. I'd just like to know some numbers for a swap more closely resembling my own. I'm about 95% convinced to go this route but the added shipping costs are a bit of a killer for us on this side of the pond, so some data will help seal the deal as it were.

I would assume the HP increase should be more than the measured 8% as there would already have been a gain over points by going to the Duraspark, David's points about the curving of the DII notwithstanding. But does the 170 just not have it in it to realise the gains? Or is it possible that the gains are bigger for the smaller engine (couldn't image why).

Someone else also asked a question I'd like to know - namely if you get the DUI curved for your current set up will you need to recurve when ever you build it up? Like I said my 170 is completely rebuilt but essentially stock (crow 63613 cam the only mod), but I want to add pacemakers and eventually go the offy 3 x 1. Will that change the curve requirements much? If it does then it's probably easier for me to do the other stuff first.

Whatever the numbers a big thanks to Mike for the DUI and all the other cool stuff he's getting together for our engines. Just wondering Mike if you ever thought of getting the offy adapters in stock yourself (or doing a classic inline version)? By the sounds of it they're only a very niche line for Summit/Offenhauser and so stock levels and delivery delays are an issue. I know I'd feel a lot more confident (and hopefully save a bit on post) to be able to make one order from someone for whom the Ford I6 is their bread and butter.

wsa111":9qx0a80j said:
65-coupe":9qx0a80j said:
wsa111":9qx0a80j said:

Exactly correct. I know they were bogus. I see you have a DUI, you are loosing a lot of drivability with the curve in it. Plus you probably have too much total advance since you have the CI head.

My DUI was recurved by another on the forum. I sent it to you but your sun machine caught fire or something. So you sent it to someone else on here. When I do my turbo build later this year I may switch to a dizzy.

65-coupe":2c3qtovi said:
wsa111":2c3qtovi said:
65-coupe":2c3qtovi said:

My DUI was recurved by another on the forum. I sent it to you but your sun machine caught fire or something. So you sent it to someone else on here. When I do my turbo build later this year I may switch to a dizzy.
I upgraded my Sun Tester several years ago with all solid state components.
After I upgraded to solid state it was the capacitor that triggers the flash tube that was the problem.
The DS11 with the proper MSD components can be adjusted to your boost requirements.
My Sun Distributor Tester has been fully operational since then. Bill
X that dyno test is the real deal as far as the flow potential of the CI head. Notice the carb is a 390 Holley.
I agree with Pony Carbs that the annular nozzle carbs are still superior to other nozzles. I run a 500 Holley with annular nozzles. This was custom designed by me.

Back