What block to use for headers and T-5

Shelly6

Hello, my project is ready to start! 1965 mustang with original everything. I've got my 79 head ready to modify. Looking over "the manual" for help there.

Today's question is the block. I'd like to keep mine but I want headers and a T-5. I have heard in the past that my bellhousing is an issue for the T-5 (I have the dagenham) and that some years the starter size/location makes headers a headache.

I have 69 donor engine I could use. Came with a 3 speed manual. Have people sorted out the early bellhousing issue with an adapter you can buy to use a T-5? Is my 65 starter one of the ones with a clearance issue?

If these are issues do I gain anything by using the 69 block?

Many of the 1965 blocks will have the duel bell housing patterns all depends on the date when it was cast. So you very well could use the better and larger 3.03 bell housing and flywheel that's on your 1969 block to adapt a T5. Many people also use the smaller 2.77 bell and flywheel but if your planing on doing a more Hi Performance type build I would go with a 3.03 bell for the bigger clutch unit. I don't know if there are any adapters made for the Diagham bells you could try contacting Modern Driveline. Good luck :nod:

bubba22349":3j4hal9k said:
I don't know if there are any adapters made for the Diagham bells you could try contacting Modern Driveline. Good luck :nod:

There is... I have one for the Dagenham bell housing. I never used it cause I wanted a 9" clutch.

I'm doing my level best to interpret everything I see on the different site. What I think I see is that there are 2 dagenham bellhousings and there is only an adapter for one of them. It seems the "early" 64-65 bellhousing is the problem but the late 65 and up is ok. Single bolt pattern vs. dual?

If I had an early 65 block it would make sense that I have the early bellhousing and if the early bellhousing is the issue that would answer my question.

I have a late 65 block. June. So late in fact that it is painted 66 Ford blue. Original color. With the red cover and red cleaner. Everyone tells me it can't be original but I guarantee it is -- my dad bought this car new and it came that way.

Hence the reason I want to use the original block.

But I digress.

In the 80's when the dagenham had to be rebuilt dad was told he had a misfit single bolt pattern bell and that "parts were going to get scarce down the road".

It is officially "down the road".

There are T5 adapters available for the Dagenham bellhouse and the 2.77 'little' 3 Spd bell but they limit your clutch choice. IF it's dual-drilled and/or available '69 block could use the 3.03 'big' 3Spd bellhouse with a simple T5 adapter plate and a Diaphragm type (Fairmont/Mustang six) clutch.

Typical 3.03 six bellhouse is Ford C7ZA (Mav/Stang...)

My '63 Falcon wagon has C9DE 170 six and bellhouse from 71 Maverick/3.03 donor.

The '63 also has Hooker Long Tube Dual Out headers - #6601's

haev fun

-
-

I am a in a quandry over the T5. I have a 1980 Fairmont with the stock 200 and C4. Would like to pull the C4 and drop in a T5. Will I also have a bell housing issue? And what bell should I source out including the clutch?
Thanks.

duner63":3id2a9s3 said:
I am a in a quandry over the T5. I have a 1980 Fairmont with the stock 200 and C4. Would like to pull the C4 and drop in a T5. Will I also have a bell housing issue? And what bell should I source out including the clutch?
Thanks.

the question is On-Topic.

IF the 200 in the '80 has a high-mount starter the same 3.03 for 200 bellhouse can be used with T5 adapter. IF the 200 has a low-mount starter (C4 only?), I haven't heard any simple options for T5 conversion.

Fairmont is a Fox Body car, I heard there were some standard shift Fairmonts and Granadas' but I never saw one. I believe they used cable clutch like FB Mustangs.

have fun

duner63":3cgarf4n said:
Thanks.

No matter which block you have there is a way to do a T5 swap. There are a few ways to ID the block that you have some pictures will help to. First is by its high or low mount starter as Powerband said, and offered the parts solution for that swap too.

Second is the engines color which should be Gray or Blue. X2 there were some Fairmounts built with a stick shift trans they used a T4 bell housing the T5 is easily adapted to them with a bit of work and as Powerband mentioned these stick / manual trans cars are also a bit rare. But those 200 blocks also have 2/3 of the SBF V8 block pattern and the 302 / 5.0 bell housing can be adapted with a little work. Using one of the Fox chassis Mustangs T5 bell housing and you won't even need an adapter plate. Good luck :nod:

Well as soon as I pull the Fairmont out of winter storage I will check the starter location and "take it from there" Thanks guys for your input.

Back