79 Granada Owner​ 4.1 emissions and vacuum diagram

MLOYLLO

I am having a hard time locating a diagram that covers my engine and carb. I want to optimize what's left of my factory vacuum operated equipment. Like my EGR valve, my two temperature ported vacuum switches, Vacuum Advance, Bowl Vent Purge Valve, PCV Valve, Air Diverter motor in the air cleaner snout, Brake Booster. I am planning on doing my own configuration, but want a guide to better but understand how the factory system was designed to function. For instance I want warm exhaust manifold air and no advance until the engine is warm. After that I only want cold air. I want to be experiment with using ported vacuum via temperature ported vacuum switch to activate the EGR system to try in cool my engine temp and improve gas mileage. I have no Air Injection Pump and no Catalytic Converter.

Furthermore most diagrams I'm reading show the PCV running directly to the Purge Control Valve which currently has two ports plugged and PCV running to the base of the carb.

I have factory AC and a solenoid to increase idle speed in front of the carb. Electric choke at the rear with a mystery fabric covered meta hose that has been broken off at the bottom end.

Any help tips or diagrams will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Collins

Thats because they don't exist like they did in all cars from 1981 onwards. Your car misses a lot of later modle stuff, which makes it hard to help you name the parts.

Before 1981, the car was the 130 page plus EVTM (Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual ) and VECI (Vehicle Emmission Control Information) diagram.

The 1980 EVTM manual is huge...The '79 EVTM pages are double the size of the 1980 one!.

In terms of unlocking the codes and details, try the baseline formed here:-

Unlike your Carter YFA, the later Holley 1940/1945/1946 and 614x/615x family has the float bowel and choke at the back, and it has confused a lot of people. The fuel inlet isn't where the float bowl is, and all carbs have Motorcraft tags, so its hard to know what carb you have....so its all a bit of a mish mash.

There are
Typical Color Codes - Vacuum Diagram
Red = Main vacuum
Green = EGR function
Orange = Heat control Valve (exhaust & intake) (AKA heat riser but more complex)
Yellow = Distributor advance / from the TAD Solenoid (driver's side Forward Solenoid) to the TAD (Diverter) Valve located at the rear of the Intake Manifold (nb//On V8's, I6's, its normaaly drivers side - xctasy)
White = EGR vacuum (source)
Black = Mainly used for the Evaporative emissions control
Black = Thermactor ACV or Diverter valve
Blue = Throttle Kicker control
Pink = Thermactor Air Bypass Valve (BPV) (from the TAB Solenoid (driver's side rear solenoid) to the bottom of the Thermactor Air Bypass Valve)

Difference is between a Vacuum Check Valve (VCV) and a Vacuum Delay Valve (VDV); a vacuum check valve will hold against vacuum indefinitely in one direction- meaning vacuum can travel through the valve unrestricted in one direction but it can never travel through the valve the opposite way. It's just like a standard electrical diode, if that helps at all.

There are VECI (Vehicle Emmission Control Information) names which difffer slightly from the agreed call name.Your car has no Bowel Vent, but the full list is:

The full list of items and codes on the VECI is
are

A Occurs Two times on the VECI, Item 82
A/CL BI MET, Item 3
A/CL CWM Occurs Two times on the VECI, Item 4
A/CL DV, Item 2
ACV, Item 5
AIR BPV, Item 7
CARB BV, Item 75
DIST, Item 11
E, Item 37
EGR, Item 12
FUEL T, Item 76
LCV, Item 60
MAN VAC, item 17
PCV, Item 81
PURGE CV, Item 30
S, Item, Item 35
SA-FV, Item 80
SLEEVE, Item 77
SOL V, Item 19
TO ATMOS, Item 78
TVV, Item 28
V, Item 21
VAC-SWITCH ASSY,Item 79
VCKV, Item 22
VCV 2X, Item 44
VDV, Item 63
VOTM, Item 53/73
VRDV, Item 26
VRESER, Item 23
VREST, Item 24

Your important Carb and ignition related items are:

Item 8 BV: Bowl Vent (on top of the float tanks)
Item 17 MAN VAC: Indicating Manifold vacuum-Vacuum source for brake booster
Item 21 V VAC: short for Vacuum
Item 35 S Spark Port
Item 37 E EGR Port

The breakout codes for componentry....all 82 or so, ordered 1 to 82

1 A/CL: according to Ford, that IS the air cleaner
2 A/CL DV: Air Cleaner Duct & Valve
3 A/CL BI MET: Air Cleaner Bi-Metallic Valve
4 A/CL CWM: Air Cleaner Cold Weather Modulator
5 ACV: Air Control Valve
6 AIR: This is a Secondary air injection Ford calls the Thermactor, short for Thermal Reactor. CA vehicles are installed with it as standard. Air Injection Reaction is what it stands for.
The thermactor system consists mainly of the air pump, the air pump diverter and bypass valves, TAB and TAD solenoids (if equipped) and the catalytic converter.
7 AIR BPV: Air Bypass Valve (aka Thermactor Air Bypass TAB)
8 BV: Bowl Vent (on top of the float tanks)
9 CARB: Carburetor
10 CPRV: Canister Purge Valve ( PURGE CV
11 DISTistributor of course.
12 EGR: Exhaust Gas Recirculator
13 EFCA: Electronic Fuel Control Assymbly
14 FLTR: Filter
15 FPR: Fuel Pressure Regulator
16 IVV: Thermactor Idle Vacuum Valve
17 MAN VAC: Indicating Manifold vacuum-Vacuum source
18 MAP: Manifold Absolute Pressure
19 SOL V: Solenoid Valve
20 SV-CBV: Carburetor Fuel Bowl Solenoid Vent Valve
21 VAC: short for Vacuum
22 VCKV: Vacuum Check Valve
23 VRESER: Vacuum Reservoir (Actually VRESER just stands for Vacuum Reservoir. It may or may not have a valve or Solenoid Valve inside it.
24 VREST is a vacuum restriction, usually at the thermally controlled valve on top of the thermostat housing.
*On 87 4V 460 F250 truck it is a simple blue plastic orifice inline with the vacuum line.
25 VRV: Vacuum Regulator Valve
26 VRDV: Vacuum Retard Delay Valve, as these can be used on more than just the distributor.
27 TVS: Thermal Vacuum Switch, and is different to a Dashpot. On Fords these are usualy located in the air cleaner.
28 TVV: Thermal Vent Valve. On fords they are mostly controlled by ambient air temps. Simular to a TVS. Located between the carb and the charcoal cannister.
29 PVS: Ported Vacuum Switch: Very simular to TVVs except on Fords they are used in the cooling system and are controlled by water temps.
30 PURGE CV: Vapor Canister Purge Valve
31 EVAP CANISTER ASY
32 Ford refers to theirs as an Idle Speed Control (ISC) solenoid
33 Idle Boost Solenoid (Orange Knob on 81, 82, 83 A/C Equiped 3.3's) or Throttle Kicker Control
34 Carburettor throttle Solenoid Positioner (Anti Dieseling Valve/Idle Stop Solenoid)
35 Spark Port
36 EGR Actuator
37 EGR Port
38 CAT is catalytic converter;
39 ENG is engine;
40 ACT - not sure, but on EFIs it means Air Charge Temperature sensor
41 Inlet Air Temperature Control
42 Green DVCV 2 port PVS vaccum switches
43 Blue TCVV 3 port vaccum switches
44 Dual Diaphram Distibutor
45 Black SDV Cold Start Spark Delay valve
46 Black SDV EGR Vaccuum delay valve
47 Deceleration Valve (PVS Cold Start lockout Dampened, Non Dashpot)
48 Non dampened or 2 port PVS (dampened) control EGR
49 Attitude and Position Fuel Trap
50 PVS Vacuum with Sintered Line Filters
51 Close Limit primary or Main Jets,
52 Lead plug sealed idle screws
53 Carburettor throttle Solenoid Positioner
54 Evaporative Emmission Control System
55 Anti Backfire Valve
56 EGR Valve Actuator
57 Vacuum Regulator/Solenoid
58 Solenoid Valve
59 Venturi Vacuum Amplifier
60 Load Control Valve
61 EGR B/P Transducer
62 Signal Conditioner
63 Ported Pressure Switch
64 Vent Valve Vacuum
65 Vacuum Controlled Switch
66 Vacuum Controlled Switch (Cold Temp)
67 Vacuum Controlled Switch (Decel Idle)
68 Vacuum Delay Valve
69 Vacuum Vent Valve
70 Delay Valve Two Way
71 Ignition Timing Vacuum Switch
72 Ignition Pressure Switch
73 TK (Throttle Kicker)
74 Mushroom caps for charcoal fuel vapor canister vents.

VOTM, Item 53/73 Renamed as Vac Operated Throttle Modulator or Motor (even though its not electric, FoMoCo call it a motor)
CARB BV, Item 75
FUEL T, Item 76
SLEEVE, Item 77
TO ATMOS, Item 78
VAC-SWITCH ASSY, Item 79
SA-FV, Item 80
PCV, Item 81
A Occurs Two times on the VECI, Item 82 (This is where a hand operated vac pump generated vacuum is applied)

There are some pictures here of this 1979 Ford Granada 250/4.1 L code engine which lookes the same, but everything is a mishmash of the 1980 to 1983 small six systems. tHE Carb is a YFA Carter, totally different to the same looking 1946 Holley, and the A/C pump, air pump, alternator and VECI plumbing are totally differently laid out, but some key parts are the same. Which is why lots of people rather than deal with the 1980-1983 emissions package, they raid the earlier 1975 to 1979 X body Granada/Monarch or pre 1978 Mverick/Comete engine parts.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/10/junkyard-find-1979-ford-granada/

1979%20Xcar%20FordGranada%20Mercury%20Monarch%20250%20REVERSED%20YFA%20Carter%20vehicle%20emission%20system%202.jpg

1979%20%20Xcar%20FordGranada%20Mercury%20Monarch%20250%20REVERSED%20YFA%20Carter%20vehicle%20emission%20system%201.jpg

Just be carefull on checking which part is which.

WoW.
glad they brought in computers?
increased the number (a dodge with intermittent starting prob just came in w/3 'puters)?

78 Granada's is stove hot...
search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&author_id=251768

Luke76
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=35213

EngineCleaned2.jpg

EnginePull_Done.jpg

79granada had one

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=92946
jamyers sold one to his mechanic...

viewtopic.php?f=75&t=66733&p=520570#p520570
jamyers":3o1eont3 said:
Just got back from checking it out...it's a time capsule all right and would seem a shame to part it out. At the very least I'm going to scare my 13-yr-old daughter with the idea that it's going to be her car in a couple of years, Mwu-hahahahaha!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Confirmed that it's a '76 4-door with a 250cid 6-cylinder, Carter YF (YFA?) carb, C-4 automatic and an 8" non-locking rear axle with 2.79 gears. White exterior with a red vinyl bench-seat interior, air conditioning, power brakes and steering, manual door locks and windows.

Pros: Low mileage (90K), known history, very straight and rust-free body and a really nice clean interior.

Cons: It's a 4-door Granada. Needs windshield, u-joints, p/s hose, muffler, A/C service, tuneup including a carb rebuild and new vacuum hoses, and likely a complete brake rebuild. Oh, and it's a 4-door Granada. :D

Pics:
Picture427.jpg

How about this for an inspiring dash layout?
Picture430.jpg

Interior is in really good shape, just very dusty.
Picture428.jpg

Picture431.jpg

Picture432.jpg

Underhood is about what you'd expect...dusty, oily, and lots of mud-dauber nests
Picture438.jpg

Picture435.jpg

Whose brilliant idea was it to put the engine id sticker on the valve cover where it gets hot and nasty and unreadable???
Picture436.jpg

Picture437.jpg

At least Ford puts driveline codes on the driver's door
Picture434.jpg

Saw this on the way, thought it was worth taking a picture. Coyotes beware...
Picture439.jpg

/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67303&p=515209#p515209
Type 2: X-shell for US 250 up to 1970.5 to 1980. This is a Monarch 4.1, last year made. Typical of Fords engineering, they swapped air pump and a/c positions between the Fox body and X-cars. Early 4.1 and 250's generally followed the V8 York or Techumsehr air con pump position on drivers side, but from 1976, a Frigidaire Type A6 low mount passenger side air con unit was used.

L-code 250's (1968-1979) and C-code 4.1's (1980-1981) were interesting in that Ford did some major A/C and air pump changes in the X-shell and later full frame Torino bodies it sat in. You can mix and match bits, but both 3.3's and 4.1's need massaging to fit headers.

With the air pump gone, here is what the long low mount L-code Frigidaire Type A6 a/c pump is like

like 3-4 V-belts?
doz of rubber lines?
WoW

chad":1qng57vh said:
like 3-4 V-belts?
doz of rubber lines?
WoW
It would be rude and Un American not to put some belt throwing safegurds into the engine room.

And a few yards of emission line.

Now this is why they have diagrams like this....

Vacuum-ugh.jpg

MLOYLLO
Righto Collins,basically everything is similar to my 81,

you even have the YFA bowel vent (BV), which I didn't know 79's had.

only

the manifold take off, is in another position,
you have no Primary Light Off catalyst.
Air pump is on other side (the right side!),
Fridgidaire F6 A/C unit,
less elaborate EGR line (not the gin distillery item I have),
the EGR port is via an adaptor, not integrated.

Do you "used to have " Secondary AIR to the exhaust manifold in five places?

Basically its similar to RED'78's Fox emission set up, but with a YFA Carter.

In this post, we need to see what is diffferent, and map it out. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75674&p=582790#p582790

Dave (placid warrior) had a Monarch..
hipogranadasix had a Hi P o Granada Six....

Pre 1980 EGR spacer
junk-6-jpg.1556480

Thanks for all the info. I will definitely post some photos and share how it is currently configured. The car runs like a sewing machine as it is. I just can't leave good enough alone. Always room for improvement and besides this is the most fun I have all week. I've been busy making a gauge panel complete with USB ports and desperately needed cup holders. Will share more photos soon.

Attachments

• 20161223_144530_HDR.jpg
    20161223_144530_HDR.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 136
i honor yer dedication!
PLEZ keep us informed as U go along,
Pic R greatly appreciated!

I have an acquaintance who went the opposite direction w/his Maverick & 300 ci.
He races it w/500 HP. Helping us reconfigure the 9 inch ford in the rear of a
Starlette 750 HP drag car (orig motor turboed)).

Good Luck to ALL in the current storm…
8 am to 8 pm round here ~ 3 ft sno, big wind.

2 door...my favourite!

1980%20Ford%20Granada.jpg

Adding 12 inches into a sedan door created the most balanced X car of the lot...

1978FordGranadaGhia_03_1000.jpg

Its why some cars sold...and some didn't, door length psychological balance....

essentially a 71-73 Mustang length door in a fairly compact Box top. To this day, people love them because of the better than 280CE or 450 SLC Benz proportion in a car that also carried some serious 351W optional fire power...Its in fact comparitively light, lieth, Italianette, and has all the slightly lanky flavour of the old 65 to 67 I6 Mustangs, the ones that really sold. Like the Fox Capri and Mustang.

The design team got it right. The West German designer of the 1972 Mark I European Granada, Uwe Bahnsahn was kind of upset, in 1980, he was quoted as saying "there is the idea that a smaller car must be conditioned so its not such a shock to traditional big car buyers...I can't believe that the American market is that different that it cannot be served by the same smaller car...."

The American conditioned Cologne Capri sold in something like 200 000 lots in its best year, but the European conditioned Merkur Scorpio and XR4TI didn't sell anything like the Granada and Monarch did.

Almost 300 000 Mustangs in 1980 proves how popular Jack T's styling and detail was for the later Foxes. Almost 600 000 Granadas and Monarchs combined in one year proves how right for the market the 75-80 Granny and Monarch (G~M's) were....The Fox got a lot of Pininfarna and Guigurio fine detail in it. 400 Ferrari and for sure, a little Longchmps. The G~M's, the right proportions.

You know, the HSC did away with all the emmissions lines, and ran it 1985 Feedback YFA style, but with a 1940/45/46/46c/6145/6146/6149/6153 style carb made by Holley with a feedback loop.

So the truck F150 4.9,
the Truck Ranger 2.0/2.3.
and the new front drive Erika Tempo/Topas/Tracer 2.3's all had the Pulse Wide Modulated, O2 feedback and electronic EGR/TFI and EECIV controlled carb.

This link will drop off since its ebay

mMdXKpdG2VVyLe4ffecDW9w.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reman-Holley-61 ... 2065959626

The feedback truck used a YFA incarnation

The reduced Vacuum Emissions line length was superseeded by feedback sensors and slonoids

picture.php

picture.php

We know it had some issues, people today have problems getting info, but the info exists, and they are fun to spend a day wandering around with a breakout box to pull the cods, a Mityvac to check the choke pulloff, and a Cat IV mutimeter to check the continuity.

but as long as all the sensors polled, and the connectors maintained continuity, all good.

MLOYLLO":1ngf6zxs said:
Please fill me in on the whole "X car" reference. Is that the body platform?

Yep .
http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/507.cfm
The Falcon — at least its platform — turned out to be the most successful car the Ford Motor Company ever thought up. Its derivatives (Comet, Fairlane, Mustang, Cougar, Maverick, Granada, Monarch and Versailles) eventually sold over 19 million units.

The Falcon was the result of Ford management's awareness of growing public demand for small, efficient cars. In 1957 the decision was made to build a high-quality smaller car that could seat 6 passengers in relative comfort. It was code-named XK Thunderbird at first, and the name "Falcon" was chosen from nearly 10,000 candidates, including such names as Lavion, Astrion, Cougar, Raptor and many others.

By the time Product Planning started work on the car, management had decided that it would be powered by a 6-cylinder engine, 13-inch wheels, a 109.5 inch wheelbase and a generously-sized trunk. All designs were the result of tremendous give-and-take among various groups at Ford, and the final one was signed off for the 1960 model year. Although the entire program only took 19 months from final design to the first car off the assembly line, the Falcon itself turned out to be a high quality, reliable and pleasant-to-drive car. It only lacked pizzaz, in the form of trim, accessories and power.

The 1960 Falcon and Frontenac was Robert S. McNamara's special year and a half XK200 crash program!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39088

xctasy":1ngf6zxs said:
A lot of cars all over the Ford empire used the basic US Falcon chassis components from 1966 to 1997.

If you check Fords internal memorandums on Falcons, they list the component as an X-shell, and all the parts on Aussie Falcons followed through from the first "Project XK200" shell minted in 1959. From 1966 onwards, Ford used an updated Fairlane spring on every new X-shell car, which was used on a heck of a lot of cars. 68-73 Mustang, uni body 69-71 Torino, 66-68 Fairlane, 75-80 Granada, 75-80 Monarch, 78-80 Versailles, 69.5-78 Maverick, 66-71 uni body Ranchero, and most of the Aussie Falcon/Fairmont/Fairlane/LTD's from 1966 to 1997.

The whole Fox program was eventually the S car, as it became the 1980 Sterling built long wheelbase cars, then officially, internally, the S shell when the Compact 108.4" wheelbase Lincoln, the shorter wheelbase 1983Thunderbird/Cougar came out...the revised belt line 1984 LTD/ Marquis, the LSC

Fords mid 70's letter designation was size based first A/B/C/D/E class cars,

A (mini-cars)
B (small cars)
C (medium cars)
D (large cars)
E (executive cars)

Car classification by the European Commission adopted the idea, and added
F (luxury cars)
J (sport utility cars)
M (multi purpose cars)
S (sport coupes)

but there was also an internal call letter, and X became it for the platform, S for Fox, then and animals (Panther), then Erika (Erika: Feminine form of Erik, which is derived from the Old Norse Eirìkr [eternal], Pegusus ( plnanned Front drive long wheelbase FASPAC Mazda 626) yadda yadda yadda.

Explorer is U...it's alphabet soup that goes on and on....

From automotive historians from Consumer Guide and Australasian Ford Asia Pacific details from Wheeels, Modern Motor.

Figure 16, 17 - very helpful X.
Thanx ! !
U get them from fordamafacation or whatever that site is?

I too like the Gren-ade-a
but folks round here laughed cuz grandma's n pop's hadem.

chad":4xz4pnhx said:
Figure 16, 17 - very helpful X.
Thanx ! !
U get them from fordamafacation or whatever that site is?

I too like the Gren-ade-a
but folks round here laughed cuz grandma's n pop's hadem.

This is notcha GranMa's Gren-ade, ah?

1975-ford-granada-2.jpg

Aussie - eh?
that view duz not look like ours (may B just angle?)
no MB similarity w/this one…I think OURs did!

Nah, its all Home grown
5177720034_large.jpg

Nov 13, 2013 Another FordFreak119 1975 Ford Granada post...
THANK YOU FOR LOOKING! PLEASE RATE! This Granada is the quickest one ive ever heard of or scene, but not 100% sure it is, but it is one of the quickest! It ran 11.90s - high 11.80s last year, should run about low 11.60s or high 50s this year. It has a 351W and C4 transmission. 9" Ford rear. UPDATE - running 11.70s and mid 11.60s. Quickest run soo far was 11.598@115mph!

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread. ... a-question
07-05-2016, 09:07 PM Post #5
PaceFever79":1rcec6ey said:
I want one! Always liked them!

They can be formidable go fast cars (393w power here)

Its slower than a 5.0 on spray

Here is the built one, 302 with 1969 351 heads, Lunati cam with 544 lift and 298 duration, Kieth black pistons with 200 dome to make 10.5 compression. all roller, Auto tranny (c-4) with 3500 stall, 9 inch rear with 3:70 gears (posi of coarse) alot of extra little goodies. 11.28@ 115 spraying a 125 shot of nitrous

These are Australian, and tame by comparison

http://fordsix.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24385&start=0

xctasy":1rcec6ey said:
Lots of parts can be made to interchange, because the parts were based on a core shell or body type.

These cars were all based on the XK200 shell which started with the 1960 Falcon.

The first Fairlane ran an upgraded ball joint.

The 64.5 on Mustang

X-shellMustangIFS.jpg

The 75-80 Granada

X-shellGranadaIFS.jpg

The 79 XD-84 XF Falcon.

XDsuspcloseup.jpg

The basic shape of the upper control arm changed a good deal over the years, while the spindle changed in a number of ways too.

Great article!

xctasy":1rcec6ey said:
Just an update on front spindle sources.

See this post from Curbside Classics Paul Niedermeyer – March 26, 2013
"Automotive History: Ford’s “Falcon Platform” – From Falcon To Versailles In 18 Different Wheelbase Length/Track Width Variations"

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/auto...erent-wheelbase-lengthtrack-width-variations/

It ended up as a 121 and 116 inch wheelbase Ford LTD platform, shared with the Falcon ute (utility), van and station wagon.

DSCN0759.jpg

i372803.jpg

6ase2ave.jpg

FORD0244.jpg

xhvan12.jpg

images

MLOYLLO":1cn8661e said:
I am having a hard time locating a diagram that covers my engine and carb. I want to optimize what's left of my factory vacuum operated equipment. Like my EGR valve, my two temperature ported vacuum switches, Vacuum Advance, Bowl Vent Purge Valve, PCV Valve, Air Diverter motor in the air cleaner snout, Brake Booster. I am planning on doing my own configuration, but want a guide to better but understand how the factory system was designed to function. For instance I want warm exhaust manifold air and no advance until the engine is warm. After that I only want cold air. I want to be experiment with using ported vacuum via temperature ported vacuum switch to activate the EGR system to try in cool my engine temp and improve gas mileage. I have no Air Injection Pump and no Catalytic Converter.

Furthermore most diagrams I'm reading show the PCV running directly to the Purge Control Valve which currently has two ports plugged and PCV running to the base of the carb.

I have factory AC and a solenoid to increase idle speed in front of the carb. Electric choke at the rear with a mystery fabric covered meta hose that has been broken off at the bottom end.

Any help tips or diagrams will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Collins

Okay...all YFA's got a choke heat line for a few years.

1. Electric choke at the rear with a mystery fabric covered meta hose that has been broken off at the bottom end

The line to the choke used to be, back in the day, asbestos pipe, IIRC...Blue EGR downstream air repair line is fine for running a heat source from the heat stove on the iron header. Somewhere. ludwig's system is good

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75184&p=578631#p578631
ludwig":1cn8661e said:
The amount of air coming in the choke riser tube is minimal. Soot from the exhaust is a little more problematic IF the wall between 3 and 4 is burnt through. Chances are it is. It should be closed off by tapping and plugging the top and bottom of the choke riser stove. Then you can run an aluminum or copper tube to one of the the exhaust outlets and wrap it around the exhaust manifold a few times. As the manifold heats up, the tube does too and pulls the choke plate open.

This is what I did. The tube and the little collector on the pipe came from a speed parts store. There was no filter in the original and none in this kit.

2. Furthermore most diagrams I'm reading show the PCV running directly to the Purge Control Valve which currently has two ports plugged and PCV running to the base of the carb.

For years, Ford didn't even use the term Positive Crankcase Ventilation. Its a probelm when your trying to find it on the engine, sort of like trying to find Room 13 in a rest home...its not talked about directly on the VECI decel on later cars, and since the first device for emission control was a "PCV" it makes you throw away all literature in discust. I'm indebeted to RED'78 and his foundational breakout codes for 1979.

http://myzephyrs.com/vac_part_name.htm

It requires a cool head to go throw it all without dropping the ball....the code list in the port injection era (1983 for 2.3's and 1986 for 5.0's and 1987 for 4.9 sixes) brought a whole new line of codes, which you find best at http://www.ford-trucks.com. Those guys list everything with a Base Part Number, if its an electrical clip, a sensor, or a part not on the VECI...and there are plenty!

But 1979, still the good old days of 18 feet of pollution control line....

VECI diagram from my 1981 is basically the same as your 79.....with some extra features. :mrgreen:

1-12b-R0%201981_DCK.jpg

Your MAN VAC pickup point is below the carb on yours, not forward of the carb like mine. They shifted it on the log.

3. I have no Air Injection Pump and no Catalytic Converter.

AIR Removed, I guess. Some didn't have one, it depended on state. High Alt and CA did, IIRC.

Cataylst, well, we know what happens.

4. Like my EGR valve, my two temperature ported vacuum switches, Vacuum Advance, Bowl Vent Purge Valve, PCV Valve, Air Diverter motor in the air cleaner snout, Brake Booster

Optimisation comes from moving on up to the EECIV era parts. Despite what I was told by others in ignorance or errror,

No log head I6 was ever electronically controlled by fuel only EECII, fuel and ignition EECIII, or fuel and ignition EECIV, nor did any ever have an MCU control unit.

Like the Hi Po 5.0 2 and 4-bbl carb GT and RS V8's from 1982 to 1985, there was no electronic feedback system to control air/fuel or EGR or igntion by feedback wire except on startup. Like those, the I6 ran Duraspark II, and everything was controlled by playing off ported and manifold vacuum against the EGR needs, with the Orange Throttle Kicker the only semi feedback device.

On everything else, the 3.3 and 4.1's were well heated, clean engines. Item 53/73, the Item 33 Idle Boost Solenoid (Orange Knob on your 79, and also 81, 82, 83 A/C Equiped 3.3's) or Throttle Kicker Control, it was a good addition.

What others are doing are looking controlling the EGR by EECU (Electonic Engine Control U (You!)), a quasi EECIV system running off the EECIV Escort EGR valve, one of which fits the Common 4-bbl EGR port. It takes Pulse Width Modulation (PWM, about 200Hz), and can be controlled externally with a little work.

Same with the YFA or 1949/6145/46/49/53 Holley 1-bbls PWM lean device, (effectively not called so, but acutally a Fuel Control Valve).

So you can do quite a lot to EGR and air fuel trim. If you play around with the Duraspark II, you can make it perform like a Durapaspark III or TFI, and control ignition advance. Each part in the system just requires a later generations electronic control system, and it'll allow you to trim multiple systems on the fly.

Good idea to get a gasoline flow meter and Trip Minder MPG computer, and tie it in, and operate it on the fly. You then monitor it all.

For me, I like the pre-set choke pulldown, automatic TAB/TAD compensators, Secondary AIR and non O2 controlled cataylst systems. They give great results, and because they aren't feedback, they don't fall off line with a stuck at suboptimal ignition advance, (or if the Piezoelectric knock sensor gets a no signal). And throwing multiple codes, as they were programed to do by FoMoCo in advance. They are forth generation EEC system matters, easily fixed, but understood by few.

One set up is the EECV systems without OBDII, such as the Australian port EFI Fords. They allow the same abilities as a reflashed OBDII eecv with the 36 self checking protocols turned off. That allows control of some sytems to a very high level if you have a opned "box code" EECV chip you can control. Imagine still running you carb on fixed air fuel values, but being able to change just about everything else.

So those two pictures Fig 16 and 17 I stole from the Ford Truck forum, they are the benchmark integration of EECIV systems for you, which is kind of where you are forced to progress to.

Your emissions package in your Granada became a whole lot more simple without secondary AIR, no cat, and some blocked off posrts to the exhaust.

To everyone, a 79-83 3.3 or 79-80 4.1 six lookes like a MCU or EECIV feedback engine like the 4.9 Big Six, and it just scares people, but it wasn't at all like the feedback engines.

I really do like all the Carter YFA 1-bbl carbed 2.3's, 4.1's and 4.9's,
the Holley 1946 1-bbl 3.3's,
Carter Weber 2-bbl 5740 1.6 Escorts,
the Holley Weber 5200/6520 2-bbl 2.3's.
the totally oddball cut down small six 1-bbl Holley 6153 and CFI HSC 2.3'S and EFI HSO 2.5'S

I like EECi/ii/iii, ECU/MCU, CFI, TFI, EFI,

All of them had some real, good honest to G""d hard work put into them.

And for the V8's and V6's too.

Best ever documents were Ak Millars Impco Techncal Service bulletins from when I worked at the Power Board doing LP Gas conversions and servicing. They explained the 1978 to 1985 US Ford engines in great, but concise, detail.

That's what's needed when you look over those things today,

an understanding of the basics,
where to go to get the pictures.

Fords VECI and Autozones on line Ford Six data is very poorly gathered together stuff which is really hard to summarise. They've done a good job, but I think they need a "Ford Fox X, and S shell Six handbook" to cover the 78 to 83 3.3 and 78 to 80 4.1's...they are just so hard to fathom!

In 1979 to 1982, Ford attempted to clean up the pollution gear, and replace it with Programmed Logic Controls, which is:-
feeback carbs (FBC)
TAD/TAB EGR,
Yellow Strain Relief Durapspark II
Brown Strain relief Durapspark III igntions
active control of the Purge CV
new patented Electric Bowel Vent
Fuel Control Solenoid,
Idle Tracking,
Wide Open throttle switch,
TPS,
Open Loop Switch,
Vacuum Regulator Solenoid

and just for a few years,

then that got replaced with another generation of ISC/IAC and other new and excitingly named dodads

Reed all about it here...the California market 255 4.2 V8 had them all for the 1980 Granada. Lucky you car doesn't have and extra 5 cubic inches and two extra cylinders, or you would have found me on another forum...like this!

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread. ... ost1837263

"Need some help with 1981 4.2L V8 Emissions"

Collins, your 250 is tame by comparison....

We (Stormin'Norman, Frankenstang)

Thrashed the VECI diagrams issue to death with the planned YFA Carter swaps.

Within that we touched on the later Feedback 1980 4.9 Big Six Carter YFA and MCU system (Page 30 to 31, 1981 EVTM: FEEDBACK CARB CONTROL [MCU])

http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/feedbac ... l-mcu.html

Care of Stormin' Norman
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72749&p=559091#p559091
Stormin' Norman":22e8zmr1 said:
FALCONAROUND":22e8zmr1 said:
Thanks for the info :)

So I'm walking out of NAPA, and I see this small cable-tie kit for $7.00 and the guy I was dealing with told me to look under the clearance rack - $5.44 with over 100 pieces! All the colours I need Black, White, Green, Yellow, Blue, Red and Orange. Some cars with Cruise control use a Brown vacuum tube, and the 4-speed stick doesn't need a black tube to a tranny modulator. :mrgreen:

So I'll get the Cable Ties on at each end of the hose segments, by their designed circuit.

What I have to do for my own tuning needs is make up my own VECI Hose Diagram and use it to route my system, to take advantage of those 'coolant temp' vacuum valves to control both Distributor Advance and AC operation. I'll put all the tuneup specs on this label for both the single Carter YFA, and the Tri-power Carter YF carbs at each end, spark plugs used, gapping, mechanical advance, and initial advance with RPMs and AC-ON/AC-OFF RPM.

There is another solution, but I don't know if any AC repair shops carry them. All the AC vent control hoses are colour-coded much like the under-hood vacuum hoses. Hit the junkyards and dig under a Ford model vehicle's dash if it has AC. They aren't very long, but they can handle the usual vacuum range, and they're flexible enough. I just don't know if they are resistant to chemicals, gas and oil, like we find under the hood.

Care of Frankenstang

Post #1 by Frankenstang » Wed Oct 29, 2014
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72607&p=558961#p558961

#1 by Frankenstang » Thu Dec 08, 2011
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66979&p=512796#p512796

The area you are delving into is the crossover FoMoCo had between the Stone age era Thermactor/IMCO and the newer OBD1 "On Board Diagnostic 1" era , the 78-1984 Pre EECIV systems with partial electronic control.OBD1 is considered 1978 to 1995.

Popular Mechanics outlined the systems in great detail between October 1979 and April 1982,

See Page 53

https://books.google.co.nz/books?id=0dQ ... or&f=false

The early EECIII's were smart, but way too smart for the average Joe.

No easy Dealer Trouble Codes (DTC's) with a light, due to a vastly confusing roll out of MCU, EECII, and EECIII detail. This effectively killed the Feedback Carb/CFI era with so much miss-information it read like a Stylus BackStabbers Incorporated Soundtrack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH1PCqHRdo4

These systems were sound, and easy to follow with the right info, but without it, every service technician got Snapped Out. "You know things are serious when old-school tech is involved...." http://5000ways.co.nz/2003/december-200 ... orporated/

There was an additional retrorespective test procedure for EECIII cars, meaning for a year or so, no-one could pull codes on the earlier CFI cars; without the Rotunda T79L-50, back in 1981, a $1500 pice of very expensive equipment that was at the time the only way to read codes. In fact, the $100 Rotunda Star analyser, or a common multi meter, would do the job, but the infomation was missing in all Ford publications, and not retrorespectively updated, as Ford pulled the detail after the cars were produced. This was known about in the 1980 model year, and it still catches people out.

These Five files best describe the issues Ford were dealing with from 1978 to 1982...things only got simpler with the EECIV.

The MCU and all pre EECIV systems were tained with the same brush of confusion.

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc501/xecute6/xecute6037/mcu_000_October_79.jpg
http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums...rday_Mechanic_Ford_MCU_diagonstic_process.jpg
http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc501/xecute6/xecute6037/mcu_004_1982APRIL.jpg
http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc501/xecute6/mcu_005_1982APRIL.jpg
http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc501/xecute6/mcu_006_1982APRIL.jpg

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=531613
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puAEJ3BYFeY

cnagorka":22e8zmr1 said:
This is a demonstration of how to read the codes on the primitive (but reliable) Ford EEC-III engine control system. Note that after we filmed this I actually discovered an EEC test connector right by the pair of solenoids shown in the video. The connector is not mentioned anywhere in the tech manuals for the car...but it doesn't matter much, it just brings the same wires from the solenoids to a more convenient place for hooking up a test light.

Now, regards test lights and EECIII

RoastDawgg":22e8zmr1 said:
Using a vaccuum pump with gauge, suck the BMAP vent down to 20" of mercury or greater for at least five seconds. This is a driving condition which is impossible, except maybe on Mount Everest, or the moon, so the computer knows to initiate self-test. After five seconds, release the vaccuum pump and self test will start and go for about a minute. Failure codes are tapped out on the TAB/TAD solenoids. You can see them with a volt meter. ***YOU CANNOT USE A TESTLIGHT*** the resistence in the testlight is too low for this test and will cause errors and faulty readouts!!!!

The old sweeping needle test works for every OBDI Ford, as long as yu know how to kick it into the high idle speed test.

The ground lead goes to negative for the EECIV; a change in procedure

Here is my friends 87 Tbird, sowing the same process

Koer test 1987 tbird
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QSiS6wf7oU

The can run codes in engine off mode.

Key on engine off, 1987 bird codes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0ehA8cFTkc

Lastly, and repeated from elseware....the ODB1 treachery and treason.....

I find that the biggest issue is understanding what is avalialiable from historical information that is suddenly withdrawn and editted out of existance (especially so for the poor old D code V8 4.2 and 6 code V6 3.8 liter). The owners of these step up option engines think they are screwed into emission control removal....because they aren't sure if its a Motorcraft 2150, VV2700, VV7200, CFI or MCU, EECII, EECIII or EECIV engine...If 4.1 or 3.3 six, the missinformation is that the car may be feedback carb, which it never was. Yet another point of confusion not expalined properly anywhere.

Basically, Holley 2-bbl carbs became the common "go to" Ford OBDI era emissions carb replacement. After it did so, Holley then removed all refrences to its 7508-1 0810 #1-591 non feedback and 7508 whatever suffix #1-684 feedback VV 7200 replacement 280 to 360 cfm 2-bbl carb in 1992.

Post #3 on this link proves it.http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?6856-What-is-this-Holley

It existed as an 1978 to 1985 option to "fix" problems with non informed service on the VV7200, which mostly was little more than "back street abortion" to an already well formed Ford VV carb. That the VV survived for 15 years (1978-1993) in 1-bbl form Europe and 2-bbl form North American P71 Police Cruisers and 351W Canadian Trucks proved that. The 9117 2-bbl 280 cfm 2-bbl Holley carb I've used was a move towards Holley muscling into the 1978 OEM Windsor 5.0/5.8 V8 carb market, and it was Ford and CARB that started making the OEM carburation an exclusive non Holley deal until the 1979 to 1987 Holley 2-bbl 2300EG and 1979-1993 Holley 4-bbl 4180/4190EG's used on everything from Mustang 5.0's to Carpenter 6.1 liter trucks. Including the f 150/250.

Ford really made it harder by eliminating the extra (costly!) exclusive 1978-1985 feedback, non feedback and CFI training and knowledge base by pulling information in culls or info pogams from 1980 to 1985....they just expunged any references to non applicable systems and focused on the new and improved. The reason? Well, it was complicated to teach it all, and the brave new era of port injection was around the corner.

Its like a bunch of counter reactionary revisionsts trying to appease the masses from trying to follow the gigantic intelligence that was at work making those 1978 to 1985 Fedback/Variable Venturi/CFI cars go so well. The compliants were actually general issues that the VV 7200 didn't really suffer from, but other fuel delivery systems did. The truck YFA's did for a time suffer the same information pogam, so it became a natural to pull off all the crud, and put a non emission, non feedback carb on your 1-BBL 4.9 or 2.3 1-bbl carb truck or Fox body.

The pulldown chokes and EECIII to EECIV weirdness of the CFI and all its variations were mixed up with the goodness of a well tuned VV 2700 or VV7200..... and those sytems changed from EECII, to MCU and the confusion over Duraspark III, Duraspark II and TFI made any explanations very darn complicated.

My favourite has to be an Emissions compliant 1982 Bronco truck, which had an optional 351M truck engine with Sequential injection like crank position sensor all EECIII CFI Lincolns got, but a VV 7200 carb and Duraspark III ignition...how the heck do you explain the fact that around the years from 1980 to 1983, there were still five different 351 V8's, and they could have anyone of three different carb systems, two different management systems, and, the world over, three different engine blocks and heads.

There were Motorcraft 2150 EO approved electronic power valve replacements, and lots of stuff which was a knee jerk reation to the problems of understanding Fords stock systems.

I know it sounds arrogant and big brother, but Ford spent billons on making whatever carb or fuel delivery system work for that year, and you have got any number of options, excluding engine swaps, or including engine swaps if you want to.

Taking a few evenings out to understand the systems by reading and asking some questions will avoid anyone having to pull emissions SH!+ off your ride. Combined with legal swaps, you can make a IM compliant 4.2 make 180 hp with just the flat tapped cams and stock systems, and not be Gross Pollutor-ed out with a 90 day writ to comply.

"...I find that the biggest issue is understanding what is avalialiable from historical information that is suddenly withdrawn and editted out of existance…

It's been awhile but it seemed I was gettin advice to stick a paper clip in somewhere & read the number of flashes to compaire to listings in a book…
OBDI ? or pre or post that?

Back