Any interest in a Torque Plate for the Small 6?

CNC-Dude

1K+
VIP
Approved Vendor
Supporter 2018
I am going to make a run of several torque plates for different inline engines and was wondering if anyone was interested in one? I am considering offering a "loaner program" to Fordsix members needing one for engine builds or selling them one straight out for the diehard builders.

If I ever get a chance to build a new engine then I would sure have an interest (y) :nod:

thanks 4 da offer Dude.

correct forum 4 dis listing?

No idea on cost yet, just seeing if the interest is here and it looks like it is. I will need to make a specific one for the aluminum head and the factory cast iron head, so two different torque plates, one for either application.

A machinist friend helps all my six projects , thanks CNC-Dude for offer.

near-topic :
My '61 Comet runs a mothballed D6DE 250 built when Jack Clifford still had a shop. It uses AMC/IHC 258 Pistons at 3.75" bore requiring @ .070 Overbore plus piston fitting. Although this is considered excessive for the thin wall casting, a specific torque-Plate, perhaps off-center from OEM bore with careful casting inspection supposedly made this possible.

have fun

Add my name to the list for a torque plate. Purchase or loaner.

One question, why would there be a difference in a torque plate for a cast head and one for an alloy head?

The two different materials distort the block differently, so aluminum torque plates need to be used with aluminum heads and steel or iron torque plates with cast iron heads, or its like not using a torque plate at all if you mix them up.

How thick are you thinking on making them?
There was a time that I ran 180 degree water through the block when honing.
It would probably be crazy to try and run hot water through the torque plate also?

Add me to the list. My engine is going to a builder in April. He doesn't have one. I'm trying to find someone who does!

I'd be in to purchase an iron head style.
My ETA for machining is in the next few months though.
DannyG

drag-200stang":10xsjpkw said:
How thick are you thinking on making them?
There was a time that I ran 180 degree water through the block when honing.
It would probably be crazy to try and run hot water through the torque plate also?
2" seems to be the industry standard. NASCAR guys started doing the heated water in the water jackets about 20 years ago and now have moved on to other technologies to allow tighter cylinder wall clearances for less piston rocking and better ring sealing. All are good ideas but when you're pushing the limits looking for just one more horsepower like they are, sometimes its practical and sometimes it isn't.

Shelly6":2vg6r488 said:
Add me to the list. My engine is going to a builder in April. He doesn't have one. I'm trying to find someone who does!
I'm trying to get my new(old)milling machine moved and set back up, so hopefully I can get it underway soon. It may push me past mid-April though. I also still need to CMM a head to create a working blueprint.

I am interested. To be fair though, it won't be this year that I would need one.

Here is the new milling machine I just bought. Its a beast at over 10,000 lbs. It will take care of all the heavy duty milling operations I have in store for these parts on the drawing board.

CINCINNATI%203_zpsolq3gab1.jpg

Working on getting it moved now. Hopefully by the end of this coming week it will be on its way to me.

we used bout 15 ft X 18 inch wooden dowels to move something a lill similar across the shop floor w/a fork lift that hadda 36 inch tire.
When it got to the shop doors they just pushed it out onto our trailer (pulled by single screw rd. tractor) bout a ft lower than the dock. It got hung up on the lip
but a lill more shovin dropped the final end on.
Lotsa machine shops round here (still partin out cutting equip some/some not CNC) where the industry wuz king for 300 yrs. Some R rebuilding w/lottsa help (will change w/da Trump Administration I imagine) and some cont. to die. Very few live on.
Stuff we got had small metal tags that read "property of the US Military" so could B from 85&75 yrs. old to 40. These R "machines that can make machines"... (broaches 30 ft high, wheys just as long, tables 8 X 8 ft, cutters 2 inches square, shapers, planers, surface grinders, laths…
:shock:

Any time you have the opportunity to save one of these machines from the scrap yard you need to. The don't make them like this anymore. I couldn't pass up the deal on this one.

:D Years ago in the town where I grew up there was a machine shop named"Knight and Mathis".
One of their lathes was 48"x15 feet capacity.Originally powered be water,and then converted to electric power.That thing was a real treat to watch.It was used to true up pipes for the water pickup for screw type irrigation pumps.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Back