Pulling my 200 - Lift Points?

PoppyRed_65

Hi all
Been away for quite some time and lost all my old user info so my old posts went to...but I'm finally back to working on my 65.

Long story short..there will be many more questions coming I'm sure...I'm pulling my 200 & C4 next weekend. First time I've pulled an engine so still a little not sure what to expect. My apologies about the stupid questions up front.

Has anyone done this and have photos? I'm much more visual in understanding what goes where. If not, from the posts I've read, it's my understanding I can use a few different points to attach the chains. One of the engine mount holes with a opposite side tranny/engine mount, opposite corners of the head using the head bolts...etc...

Also, I keep reading about washers...I'm assuming the washers are to stop the chain link from slipping over the bolt head. I'll probably rent a lift and buy a load leveler to help.

Sorry about the dumb questions that will be coming. I really should have taken shop back in the day. Working on the car by myself has been really fulfilling...it's just learning as I go that makes it interesting sometimes.

Thanks a bunch for any suggestions.

Jeremy

do U have a man or auto & will U pull them as a unit?
more bout ur plan, just 2 help me (us) visualize (like U), eh?
;)

PoppyRed_65":xlpl7nc1 said:
Hi all... First time I've pulled an engine so still a little not sure what to expect... it's my understanding I can use a few different points to attach the chains. One of the engine mount holes with a opposite side tranny/engine mount, opposite corners of the head using the head bolts..I'll probably rent a lift and buy a load leveler to help.

Thanks a bunch for any suggestions.
Jeremy

Where ya at?

... relax , just make sure everything's disconnected and rad' out. , with tranny it seems to go almost vertical to get out, not quite really but a load leveler is real good idea.

some early and all (?) later have flat metal lifting eyes. You can use the eye's bolt-holes to attach chain or fab similar. Without tranny a rope/chain sling can cradle engine out.

have fun

been askin folks for a schematic (sketch, graph paper representation, anything!)
to match those oe (yes ford made/left them on engines) 'lift eyes' as "X" has labeled them.

Can any one help me - us ???

Ahhh those are good photos. Thanks for posting!

It's a C4 auto. Kind of a mish mash of parts right now. 78 block, 65 head and a bunch of broken half assed stuff. Auto lite 1100 that leaks like a sive. Will be following up with more since my head is probably toast. Two exhaust manifold ears are broken and I fought for a long time trying to seal the thermostat housing.

Been in the SF Bay Area for the last 15yrs but just moved last year to about 20mi NE of LA. Hence kinda falling off the map working on the car for awhile transitioning.

powerband":zows9lzm said:
some early and all (?) later have flat metal lifting eyes. You can use the eye's bolt-holes to attach chain or fab similar. Without tranny a rope/chain sling can cradle engine out.
have fun

I know - it's just a lill over 400 lbs.

U (or any 1 else?) have a sketch or template (anything?) to make up those 2 'plates' myself?
I've never seen them except here (& I think, just on yours, powerband).

while we're at it:

Small block sixes with Automatic trannys had the lifting eyes integral with the tranny/carb kickdown rod bellcrank .

A simple heavy strap can be used at front eye location or chain ,just please don't use top-rear Exhaust Flange on head (!) .

have fun

Those photos are really helpful.

I have the flat spot on the driver side front of the block that should be perfect. As for the back passenger side, are there points between the exhaust manifold and block? I can't really tell. My manifold is so old I may pull it first.

I was also thinking the c4 to block mount would be good to help with the extra weight with the transmission. Is that point strong enough to lift by in case I don't have the one in that 2nd photo at the rear of the head?

You might not want to pull the exhaust manifold. If it is really rusty and fused, you could break off a bolt or two and/or one or more bolt lugs,

PoppyRed_65":1lfgny41 said:
I was also thinking the c4 to block mount would be good to help with the extra weight with the transmission. Is that point strong enough to lift by in case I don't have the one in that 2nd photo at the rear of the head?

I think all (?) later 60's heads have the threaded casting holes on passenger side intake runner above exhaust manifold . I would be confident lifting with a proper bolt in the bellhouse -to-block bolt (not starter bolt as in picture !).

haev fun

There are no bolt holes to bolt the lifting eyes on my '63. I used the generator bracket and a bolt screwed into where the ball for the Z-bar.

20151008_113856.jpg

20151008_000129.jpg

More good pictures for reference about lifting options.

Note also the 'early' small bellhouse engine block with @ 2" between Head/deck and Bell house.

haev fun

Perfect!
I was looking last night and my 65 head doesn't have those points. The block has a flat spot on the front passenger under the exhaust manifold and the z bar mount will be perfect.

I ended up pulling the exhaust manifold after using a mirror to look for those points in the photos above....come to find out I had a 6in crack on the underside. after I got it out I dropped it on the driveway and the Damn thing broke in half.... :shock:

ludwig":1yhkc1fu said:
What I was saying.

Yup totally. When I saw the crack I knew it would be toast and the head likely as well with the broken manifold mounting ears being broken. Just had no idea it was that trashed.

Two of the bolts had threaded inserts that were seized..... I'm guessing those aren't stock, so the head has been broken, drilled out, broken some more etc....

As I get more into the car I'm pissed I was driving it in this condition....the u-joint nuts were finger tight, transmission pan less than finger tight, cracked and not even attached at the broken ears exhaust manifold, steering and suspension toast...going to be quite the "hobby"

Sorry for the late reply.

Chad, you never asked ME about lift brackets..
I can cut some of these if you need a set.

For the rear, I designed this one. I didn't know about the one for automatics.
IMG_1220_zpsklkfvpjq.jpg

And I used this original one off a 250 to design some papermodels.
IMG_1186_588_zpsrjlamzub.jpg

I made this one, and used it for installing the motor into my skidsteer..
IMG_3332_zps31jtsjic.jpg

kouwell!
& look @ powerband's
oposite side & has a lill bend (that's minor/after the fact).
thanks !
keep goin dude! (3/4 the way there)

woodbutcher":1j4t70et said:
:unsure: Gee Poppy red.That`s all part of the old car hobby :banghead: :banghead: .
Good luck.have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Yes indeed! Got the engine out, sat back, had a beer and thought...whelp...now the real work begins!

Back