Seeking 144 rebuild kit

adamscm

Hello All, In my continuing saga, the machine shop that has my 144 says they are having trouble finding parts. Anyone here know of a source of a short block rebuild kit (bearings, rings, etc...) for a '62 144? Thanks, Chris

Nor Texas aint that isolated -
they're all the regular companies, components might B from different co.s (cept the cam, lifters, springs must B together, I believe)
but my guy does enuff engine work he just had all the co.s & reference #s (phone #s, catelogues)…

May B he's just sbc and doesn't do any Nissans or Jags, etc & doesn't wanna serve you, wants you to try another shop…I'd say oblige him…

Look on our reference pages to C who is recommender round you or close. We have a page on machine shop recommendations.

This shop has a lot of good recommendations and good reputation. I'm trying to find out exactly what he's looking for. I suppose, unlike the 200's, there may not be 144 pistons and parts floating around everywhere, but I know they exist. Maybe he's having to look elsewhere than his regular source. I just thought if anyone here knew of a common source for these parts, I could follow up on that. I know the more common 170 has the same bore, but longer stroke, than the 144. Don't know if pistons are the same.

Thanks for the reply. You are correct--I don't know exactly what he needs because he hasn't told me the bore or crank grind it might need. I've looked at Rock and on EBay, and yes, the parts exist. I'll take a look at Enginetech. Chris

1st ck where the tolarances R gone,
decide CR & how far U wanna go toward higher performance/mpg.
Build the engine round a cam that fits ur end goal/application.
the carb will almost answ itself

Yes, I liked how it was running before, so no mods really needed. A little bore won't hurt to draw in just a bit more of the gas from the Holley 1940 which is more than enough for this motor. I already had a very nice valve job done on the head, and was running a later-200 exhaust manifold and exhaust pipe. Thought I had a perfect little motor until the bearings started screaming in revolt!
....by the way, a tech tip to share...On my clutch Z-bar, one end was missing the washer assembly...it consists of a felt washer and a metal one. Mac's has them, but they aren't cheap. I bought a pair of battery washers (felt) for under a dollar, and a perfect size metal washer at Home Depot, also for less than a dollar....voila!

Thanks for all the replies---I like the 200's and know they are better, but I was really trying to keep the originality and "numbers matching" aspect of the car, since it is 100% original right now. When I took off the head, it still had the 50+ year old Ford thermostat in it!

adamscm":2pdw9qz3 said:
Thanks for all the replies---I like the 200's and know they are better, but I was really trying to keep the originality and "numbers matching" aspect of the car, since it is 100% original right now. When I took off the head, it still had the 50+ year old Ford thermostat in it!

Pretty neat! Congrats on maintaining originality. The 144 has a dyn-o-mite history.

I'd just ask: can ppl C inside ur motor? can they (or U) live with any up grades? Is this a concourse correct restoration?
There are ideas that do not obscure the originality of the vehicle's motor yet make it a better driver, increase MPGs, performance, safety, etc.

The shop contacted me yesterday and said they now have the parts. They mentioned Engine Tech, like some of you have, so that may be where they went--it's just down the road from here. I was told it will need a .020 bore and .010 crank grind. That sounds pretty mild, so I think the motor is in good condition. I might have gotten away with just bearings, but I'll go for the whole enchilada for peace of mind. (for fun, I did the math and it looks like I'll be sporting close to a whopping 150 cubic inches!!)

2 me the boar is not so much.
attend to the compression (& cam read)

ags290":1jewle7h said:
Chris, how is the build coming?
Kevin
2X, very interested~

(BTW: what's the liter amount on a 144ci ?)
EDIT:
2.4L or 2,346cc

Hey Guys, Just an update on my rebuild saga--Last Friday I was told by the machine shop that they obtained all the parts for the 144 short block and it would be one week. Well, I called today, and as if all were fine, they told me that the final honing is happening right now and the new parts were out ready to be built, and it will be done next Wednesday. Grr...no sense in complaining right now while they've got my motor their hands. There will be complaining if Wednesday comes and goes! They do a lot of high-end stuff, and unfortunately I don't think I was at the top of the list. So hopefully it will work out next week--I'm a school teacher and have a 4 day weekend, which will be a good time to put it together.

Back