Exhaust manifolds

ledslinger29

Is there a difference between a 67 and a 69 for a 170? I found one on eBay for 90 bucks "new". Don't know about the quality, but my old one is pretty rotten, and I'm not ready to upgrade to headers yet I really just meant my motor put back together

no real difference. in fact if you find one from a later 200 or 250 there is also little difference. there might be an emissions port that would need plugging, or a casting boss not on yours, or other minor items. nothing that would prevent you from using it though.

"...I'm not ready to upgrade to headers yet…"
not sure Y - Matt's or "speed daddy" (on the net) R only a few dollars more.

chad":hm2yl1ge said:
chad":hm2yl1ge said:
Partly because I'm in the middle of a full engine rebuild, and I don't want to change everything at once in case it doesn't run right when I crank it back up.
Second, I've seen no header that doesn't require a BFH to get to fit right, and I'm a little concerned about noise and floorboard heat.
Third I'm about broke.

Get the 2" one if you have the 1 3/4" now. You can always have a head pipe changed cheap. And then when it's time for a new exhaust you can go with 2"

U guys got it all figured out, jesh.
(budget too!) !
(y)
I'm here @ pic time (not droolin yet)...

Howdy Ledslinger and All:

All OEM exhaust manifolds after 1963 will have a 2" outlet. Later ones, late sixties are cast heavier and are less likely to crack and/or warp. Beginning in the early 70s more taps, bungs and bulges appear. My preference for a factory cast exhaust manifold is a C8xx. So a '67 - '69 "should be" great. Note, I said, should be, because changes occurred at FoMoCo during these years. Once you get the new, old manifold post the casting code.

FYI- while the outlet is machined to 2", casting flashes above the casting can hang into the non-machined hole. If so, take some time to clean them up. Leave the machined surfaces alone.

FYI- 170 and 200s used the same exhaust manifold.

Adios, David

Back