Father Son 67

My how time flies.

Doing a drum to disc brake conversion for the front of our 67 making it 5 lug, as for the back using wheel adapters for now to make 5 lug. Looking to put on 15x7 rims on my 67 IL6. What size tire does anybody recommend that won't be too big for the wheel well that it will be hitting against it? something small and not out of control.. :help:

On the 1967 and 68 Mustangs these are the 15 inch wheels and biggest tires that will fit on the 5 lug axles, but that's not including using a set of spacers though. You might want to rethink the spacers and either have the axles redrilled to the 5 lug pattern or swap in a V8 8 inch axle if that's the direction you are planing to go later. 15 X 6 with a 4.00 backspace P215 / 70 R 15, 15 X 7 with 4.250 backspace P225 / 60 R 15, 15 X 8 with a 4.500 backspace P225 / 60 R 15. You will need to covert those old tires sizes into the what would be the current tire sizes. Good luck :nod:

Looking for a good rear end for my son's 67 coupe 6 cyl., 3 spd. Want to upgrade 4 lug rear to a 5 lug rear.
How many different ford cars and what years will be an easy fit to my 67 6cyl?
We are keeping the 6 cyl and drum brakes. just wand 5 lug rims.
Thank You :thanks:

U may need to either:

weld a new 5 lug flange onto what u got
/OR/
cut/respline a 5 lug axel to fit.

mojo67":3b2inkcy said:
Looking for a good rear end for my son's 67 coupe 6 cyl., 3 spd. Want to upgrade 4 lug rear to a 5 lug rear.
How many different ford cars and what years will be an easy fit to my 67 6cyl?
We are keeping the 6 cyl and drum brakes. just wand 5 lug rims.
Thank You :thanks:

Direct bolt ins for your 1967 are the 1967 to 1970 V8 (5 Lug) rear axles found in Mustangs and Mercury Cougars. Good luck :nod:

Need some info about a conversion from 6 cyl 7.25 rear 4 lug to v8 8" rear. I'm going to look at a rear out of a 67 mustang.
Will I need to replace the driveshaft as well? or can I use the 6 cyl shaft with different u joints,yolk etc...
We are keeping the 6 cyl but my only goal of a different rear is to have 5 lug rims.

never replaced a rear before, going in blind :help:

If you have the two piece shaft bonded by rubber, there is a good its out of phase. That means if you hold a straight edge the u-joints do not line up.
Get a new shaft made up & make sure to have it balanced.
This a common problem with the old bonded shafts.

mojo67":fl0xn35v said:
Need some info about a conversion from 6 cyl 7.25 rear 4 lug to v8 8" rear. I'm going to look at a rear out of a 67 mustang.
Will I need to replace the driveshaft as well? or can I use the 6 cyl shaft with different u joints,yolk etc...
We are keeping the 6 cyl but my only goal of a different rear is to have 5 lug rims.

never replaced a rear before, going in blind :help:

The 1967 5 lug 8 Inch rear axle should bolt right in place. If your car has a C4 auto then your current driveshaft would use the same U Joints as the 8 inch axle. I don't know if the lenght of the two driveshafts (inline six and V8) are both the same, though my best hunch is that it is the same length. X2 it would be better to build a new drive shaft instead of changing the rear axles yoke lenght. Good luck :nod:

will a rear out of a 1967 8 cyl mustang with 2.79 gears make my 3 speed 6 cylinder more doggy or we won't see a difference?

And I don't have a c4 auto trans.

I'm temporarily running 3.0. That's what I had available when I converted to 8 inch. My six came with a 3.2 and even that little change is noticable. A little lower RPM on the highway is nice but I do not like it otherwise. Mine is a 4 speed so apples to oranges but I can't imagine a 2.79 would be any fun regardless.

So I think what I'm learning is that the higher the ratio the better. like a 3.50 would be great??
I think we are better off finding a pair of 6 cylinder axles or taking mine and having them filled and drilled to 5 lug until I find the right rear.
Now that I'm looking for a pair of 6 cyl axles we can't find any.
If anybody has any available in or around upstate NY let me know.

Thanks for your help!

not sure where U R but powerband is in Hudson Val.
There R on line caculaters that may help U decide.
Plug in tire sz, diffferent gears (trani, rear end) plays out
RPMs & MPHs…
google 'final drive' I think (we use em on R&P gear choice 4 off rd'ing).

mojo67":26pvd9mg said:
So I think what I'm learning is that the higher the ratio the better. like a 3.50 would be great??
I think we are better off finding a pair of 6 cylinder axles or taking mine and having them filled and drilled to 5 lug until I find the right rear.
Now that I'm looking for a pair of 6 cyl axles we can't find any.
If anybody has any available in or around upstate NY let me know.

Thanks for your help!

The advantage of the 8 inch axle is that you can easily swap another third member (center section) and there are quite a number of gear ratios available. X2 yes a 2.79 with a three speed wouldn't be a good combo. Good luck :nod:

Those 8" axles are not easy to find are they? I would get it and install new gears that way you get the exact ratio you want.

Our goal is to just have a safe every day(mostly weekends) driver, cruiser that's safe and reliable for our son.
What is powerband in the Hudson Valley? I looked it up but can't find it.
As always thank you for all the help and advice.

he's a member here...

C our membership list & click n his name,
not a commercial enterprise, just a local (2 U)
that may have ideas, prts location, etc.

chad":2tvinzun said:
he's a member here...

C our membership list & click n his name,
not a commercial enterprise, just a local (2 U)
that may have ideas, prts location, etc.
:thanks:

Back