250ci into 67 Fairlane V8

h20cycle

Good evening all. I am attempting to drop a good running 250 into a 67 Ranchero that had a spent 351. I have a 289 that would bolt right in but I am all bout sixes at the moment. Unfortunately between the small block perches and the Maverick motor mounts (donor for the 250), I cannot get this motor in. I guess because everyone swaps the other way (I6 out, V8 in) there is nothing about this swap out there and no I6 parts that look like they would work. If anyone has done this swap or can imagine how it can work, the help will be greatly appreciated. Even some pics of a factory 200 in a 66/67 Ranchero/Fairlane would be amazing. At least I can visualize what I am missing an track it down. Thanks in advance. H20.

W E L C O M E ! 2 our site.
I guess '66 wsa the 1st yr for the body/name change (poped up bigger to the fairlane body)? Was there a 200 in that model?
Searchng THAT would go far in informing ur swap.
There is a ranchero presence on-line (AND it did seem more oriented 2 the "'lrger body" when I visited).

What yr Maverick towera/mounts do you have to work with? The later R better 4 dropping the motor down in the frame (hood clearence) but that does not seem 2 B ur Q...

Sounds like a great project! The 1966 up Fairlanes are a little bigger chassis (Intermediate) than the early Falcons, Comets, Mustangs and Mavericks. 1967 Fairlanes did have the 170 six as its base engine and 200 engine was an option they will both use the same chassis and engine mounts if you can find them. Though the 250 will bolt onto the 170 / 200 six frame and engine mounts the engine will sit up higher and cause some problems with carb's air cleaners to hood clearance.

The 1969 Fairlanes were first year Ford offered the 250 six as its base engine these are the chassis plus engine mounts I would look for in your case and it would make it a very easy bolt in swap. By the way the Falcon / Comet Station Wagons were also built on the bigger Fairlane chassis starting in 1966 so that is also another source for the 1969 up 250 frame mounts. The 1969 up Mustang 250 engine mounts could also be made to work, though the Fairlane 250 mounts are probally the best choice. Good luck in the hunt :nod:

I greatly appreciate the input.

@Chad - There was a 170 & 200 in that model but I can't find perches or mounts. I pulled motor and mounts from a 71 Maverick. Mounts appear to be like Mustang, not like Fairlane. Would take fabrication to make them work I think.

@rocklord - Thank you for that. The Mustang mounts are a lot like Maverick mounts in that that bolt to the front of the cross member rather than the top. Since I know they put I6 in Fairlane I was hoping for a drop in vs. making Mustang/Maverick mounts work.

@bubba22349 - Thank you, this may be the ticket. I can pinpoint my search around these addl years/models. I don't mind if it sits a bit higher since the factory hood is tweaked I was planning a Crites fiberglass number with a scoop that would buy me a couple of inches. I thought that this coupled with a cold air intake "hat" from vintage inlines would solve the height issue, assuming the trans lines up.

Sincere thanks all for the input. If anyone comes across a good engine bay shot of a 200 in a 66/67 Fairlane I would be happy to have it. Or an owners/shop manual image of the mounts. Will post again once I find a solution, assuming I don't lose my patience, drop in the 289, and save the 250 for my next Mustang build.

“…I pulled motor and mounts from a 71 Maverick.”
“Mustang mounts are a lot like Maverick mounts in that that bolt to the front of the cross member rather than the top.”
“Will post again once I find a solution, assuming…”
Sounds good. Bub's the man (w/da key(s).

Luv the '71 Mav mounts if U wanna let them go, memory intact 4 me, in the future.
Don't 4get to check the 'chero forum.
Pic would B great 4 us too...

Thanks again Chad, will def keep you in mind for the Maverick 250 mounts. I sourced this 250 with intent to install in my 68 Mustang Vert once the 289 goes. Depending on how I like it in the Chero I may yet source another 250 so may need them down the road.

And, talk about luck, after searching for weeks for 67 Fairlane 6cyl mounts, immediately up reading Bubba's post about 1969 being a potential source for 250ci fairlane mounts, I found a set of perches and mounts for a 69 Fairlane on ebay. Done and purchased. I might yet pull this conversion off!

Here are some pics. First is my F100 SWB 240 I6 converted to 300 crank, rods, pistons, retained 240 head, offy intake, EFI exh mani, DUI & Holly 600. Also in that pic is "Chero 2" which was a frame damaged (now repaired) parts car for "Chero 1" (Blue with Shelby wheels and 351C). 3rd image is the dyno report for the F100. Chero 1 will be sold and Chero 2 will become the 250 I6 freeway flyer. At least that's the plan. IMG_6342.JPGIMG_6344.JPGIMG_6343.JPG

Guy round here uses the big 6 on 1/4 mi here.

Ur blue 1 has the stacked headlghts?
(nice lookin vehicle, don't 4get the BW or "Rancho" overdrive 4 it…

Also nice hills round there, where U @?

Those 300's do pull.Yes, stacked lights. 67 is the only year the Ranchero had the Fairlane front end. 66 was Falcon, 68 was Torino. I have a Gear Vendors overdrive that may go in the Chero once I see how much I like driving it. Hills are nice here in Ventura, CA.

That's a nice torque curve. Or should I say table top.

The 300 is a torque monster. Definitely better than the SBF 302.

Your Fairlane build sure sounds nice the 250 is my favorite six for these type vehicles. The t5 will bolt right on to the 250 if you are planning to go with a manual trans. That pickup is a good one also and has impressive torque.
Do you have a copy of the Falcon Performance Handbook? It is a great resource for the Ford six owner.

I agree rocklord, 300 is definitely my favorite motor so far. Could depend on how this 250 Chero build goes.

Bmbm, I do have the performance handbook. Huge factor in my choice of the 250. Despite many choosing the 200, which I also like, but I am drawn to low rpm torque like the 300. Who isn't, I guess. I thought about the T5 and may go that route with a 250 in my Mustang if this Ranchero build works. I also have a wide ratio top loader that seems to work well off the line with tall gearing that could also work with the 250. This build will be a C4 but I have a gear vendors overdrive that may go in if power is satisfactory. It's supposed to be my caddilac comfort, PS, PB, PW, air conditioned, MPG highway cruiser. Not asking too much, right?

Alright, here are some Pics on my reverse conversion 351 to 250 into a 67 Ranchero (Fairlane). Pics attached show the following. Pic one are the 351/302 frame mounts in the Ranchero. Pic two are the new mounts I just got thanks to Bubba educating me on 69 as potential perch donor. Next pics are the two sets of mounts/brackets. The smaller is the mount from the 71 Maverick, which also donated the 250 motor. The larger mount came with the 69 fairlane frame mounts which used to hold a 200.
IMG_6622.JPGIMG_6623.JPGIMG_6624.JPG

Question for the group. You can see that the Maverick mounts are 1.25" shorter than the Fairlane mounts. Might this be exactly what I need to prevent hood interference? Since we know deck height is about 1.5" taller on the 250 vs 200, and that these conversions risk air cleaner hood interference, might Maverick mounts be the answer? Can I drop the motor down 1.25" from factory and not negatively impact driveline?
IMG_6625.JPGIMG_6626.JPG

I thought the recommended Mav. was an even later year.
Correct me if wrong - is it '77 + ?
I've heard there's enuff 'meat' to egg-out / slot them even lower.

Wish I had more info, not there yet in my own project, but have been
collecting info awhile~

BTW: if interested in a V shaped bent8 set of towers (torched offs a '77 bronk)
they'er yours for an address. I'll send measurements 1st if interested.
__
V
(Upside down depiction)

h20cycle":benqwhf1 said:
Alright, here are some Pics on my reverse conversion 351 to 250 into a 67 Ranchero (Fairlane). Pics attached show the following. Pic one are the 351/302 frame mounts in the Ranchero. Pic two are the new mounts I just got thanks to Bubba educating me on 69 as potential perch donor. Next pics are the two sets of mounts/brackets. The smaller is the mount from the 71 Maverick, which also donated the 250 motor. The larger mount came with the 69 fairlane frame mounts which used to hold a 200.

Question for the group. You can see that the Maverick mounts are 1.25" shorter than the Fairlane mounts. Might this be exactly what I need to prevent hood interference? Since we know deck height is about 1.5" taller on the 250 vs 200, and that these conversions risk air cleaner hood interference, might Maverick mounts be the answer? Can I drop the motor down 1.25" from factory and not negatively impact driveline?
IMG_6625.JPGIMG_6626.JPG

:beer: h20cycle, your making some great progress! Yes your on the right track the Maverick 250 engine mounts used with the Fairlane Chassis engine pads should drop the 250 down the right amount for hood clearance. As to your other question of if it will negatively impact the driveline angle, yes it might. Assuming a near stock ride height, this is the simple method I use to check if its in spec for the driveline angles, when doing a custom engine swap. First is to set the chassis level with the engine and trans setting on its mounts, the transmission tail housing should be about 3 degrees down. You will be in the ball park if you put a torpedo level on the carb's mounting base and it is level front to back. You might need to adjust the transmission crossmember or mount height some to get it there. Good luck :nod:

chad":2au0oxaa said:
I thought the recommended Mav. was an even later year.
Correct me if wrong - is it '77 + ?
I've heard there's enuff 'meat' to egg-out / slot them even lower.

Wish I had more info, not there yet in my own project, but have been
collecting info awhile~

BTW: if interested in a V shaped bent8 set of towers (torched offs a '77 bronk)
they'er yours for an address. I'll send measurements 1st if interested.
__
V
(Upside down depiction)

Chad the first year Ford offered the 250 six as an option in both the Mavericks & it's Comet siblings was 1971, in 1975 the California sold Mavericks & Comets had the 250 six as its base engine. 1977 was the last year for the Mavericks & Comets being built and sold in the USA. As far as I know the 250 engine mounts used in both the Mavericks & Comets were the same during their total 250 six engine production of 1971 to 1977. Good luck :nod:

Thanks Chad and Bubba.

More progress today, 250 is in. I started with the Fairlane 200 mounts (taller) thinking if it cleared the hood and I did not need to worry about driveline angle that would be better. However, it did not really want to go in. Where I bolted the lift chain may have been keeping the motor from getting far enough back but a test showed the carb at hood level. So I swapped to the 71 Maverick mounts and she dropped right in. Still sits high and I will have to address angle tomorrow.

IMG_6633.JPG
IMG_6634.JPG
IMG_6638.JPG

"...As far as I know the 250 engine mounts used in... the Mavericks... were the same during their total 250 six engine production of 1971 to 1977."
thanks yet again bubs!
U Go H2O! keep us informed even if no need 4 help~

Back