Manual 200ci bellhousing

Dantheman67

I am in the process of collecting parts to do a t5 swap into my 67. It currently has a c4 that is awful for daily driving. I have been researching bellhousing options and it seems like there are two options. The regular 3 speed bell from the majority of old mustangs or the one from late model 200s. The serial number for the one I'm looking for is D9BC-3692. I have no idea how to find it. It must be rare or I'm looking in the wrong places. It was the last years of the high mount starter and doesn't require the adapter kit. Does anyone know where to get this bell? Or does anyone have one they are willing to sell? Thanks!

Double ck the casting numbers on the engine, after 50 yrs U may not have the motor that came w/dat car.
Go from there...

chad":1s6w8mjk said:
Double ck the casting numbers on the engine, after 50 yrs U may not have the motor that came w/dat car.
Go from there...

The engine is from a 78 something but the bell shouldn't change. It should still bolt up. Ive done my research but I need to know where to get one.

One thing to keep in mind when deciding which way to go is the clutch linkage- the newer bell will save you getting a T-5 adapter but you will have to convert your car over to a cable "pull" type throwout bearing setup. Using the older bell makes you use the T-5 adapter but keeps the stock "push" type linkage. Since you are converting from a C$ you may not care about that though.

Dantheman67":2t2x0irn said:
... The serial number for the one I'm looking for is D9BC-3692. I have no idea how to find it. It must be rare or I'm looking in the wrong places. It was the last years of the high mount starter and doesn't require the adapter kit. Does anyone know where to get this bell? Or does anyone have one they are willing to sell? Thanks!

Sounds like you've done your homwework, well done!

Good luck, but your probably better off finding a conventional 3.03 C7 bellhousing and using the stock Z bar. Like mustang6 says, you'll have clutch cable adaptors to fit anything from the Fox era.Not specfically a bellhousing adaptor, but a clutch adaptor brcause of the bellhousing... :unsure: .

If you can find a D8, D9 or E1, it will need the cable clutch conversion plate on the firewall, and possibly the right quadrant kit. Eric Rose on the forum here has used one on his Round body Falcon. They work well, but any post 1978 manual 3.3 bellhousing will force you to use an adaptor to suit the clutch system you want. You can convert to a hydraulic clutch, cable or anything, but somewhere using a D9 bellhousing, you'll neednother clutch adaptor kit . I've seen a kit that goes on the clutch fork too.

The manual transmission was a D8 3 speed 3.03 in the 1978 Fox Fairmonts and Zephyrs, but with a new cable clutch, no longer the same as the 1966 to 1970 Mustang 200's.

There was a huge production snarl up for 1979, with the 2.8 V6 getting a late in the piece four speed option in the79 Capri and Mustang. It was originally gonna be auto onbly. The 2.8 engine was selectively withdrawn as the European Granada and Euro Capri gained Bosch K jetronic Injection with 160 hp. That engine sucked up another 25000 new car sales that year, preventing export capacity to the Fox cars. Ford US quickly surplanted the 2.8 with the originally auto only 3.3.

Although sales were small, Ford quickly offered the 4 speed SROD as an option in late 1979 in both 5.0 and 3.3 form, for the in line six, it wasn't easy to find the option, and that is where you find D9 bellhousings, in rare Fairmonts, Zephyrs, Mustangs and Capris so equiped. But the 4 speed wasn't listed as an option in all states. Then, in 1981, it got a T5 gearbox without 5th gear as an option on the SROD, and the D9 bellhousing was replaced by the E1 ballhousing. All bellhousings, the 78 Fox 3.03, the D9, the E1 are rare, because the only cars selling were automatics, and stick shifts weren't popular on the 3.3 like they were on the 2.3's and 5.0's. The uptake in manuals in those were much higher, often with 5 speeds.

There were no low mount manuals, and low mount blocks were only on some post 1981to 1983 Fox Fords...the high mount E1 block was used commonly for 1981 to 1983 as well.

Back